Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
hmf
Enthusiast
hmf doesn't litterhmf doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Calibre No Longer Working

After updating to 8.5 I can no longer save books in Edit Metadata or convert books. Also book viewer does not work for books not in Calibre. The error I get is:

calibre, version 0.8.5
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>OSError</b>:[Errno 13] Permission denied

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\single.py", line 419, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\single.py", line 393, in apply_changes
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\basic_widgets.py", line 605, in commit
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1171, in add_format
File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 151, in local_open
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

Calibre was working great prior to this. What's the problem. anyone?? I've tried going back to 8.4 but that didn't work either. Calibre also deleted some book formats when the conversion failed.

Last edited by hmf; 06-11-2011 at 01:37 PM.
hmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have permissions problems in your calibre library folder. Reset the permissions. Exactly how you do that depends on your windows version.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Same with me. Only thing I did was upgrade to 8.5. Books I previously converted now give me an error message. The plug-in no longer works. Need to use I heart cabbages stand alone.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Sydney's mom: See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138582
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Thanks, that did it. I went to reinstall 8.4, and saw 8.5 had been recently updated. Thanks for all you do!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
hmf
Enthusiast
hmf doesn't litterhmf doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Got 8.5 working. I think what worked was that after uninstalling Calibre there were a few folders and files left in the Calibre folder. After deleting those folders and files and installing it again it seemed to work. I had tried the updated version of 8.5 and that didn't work at first either. So glad its working...hadn't realized how important Calibre was.
hmf is offline   Reply With Quote