Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Toshiba Thrive: Toshiba gets it 10.1" tablet @ $429

Well it looks like Toshiba picked an appropriate name for their tablet "Thrive" because that is what it will do. With killer features, looks, and price... and a well known name in the industry, I think many folks will graviate to the Toshiba Thrive.

Starting a $429 for their entry model with 8GB of on board storage expandable to 32GB

• Android 3.1, Honeycomb
  • 10.1" High-resolution LED Screen (1280x800)
  • Dual front and back webcams
  • User-replaceable Easy Grip Back cover and battery
  • One USB 2.0, One Mini USB, One HDMI and an SD Card Slot

Bundled software
  • Quick Office,
  • Need for Speed,
  • Toshiba's media player,
  • Log me in
  • Printer Share (for sending documents to a wifi printer)

(more...)

Last edited by =X=; 06-07-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added Thrive
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Always been a fan of Toshiba. I would like to play with one of these.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Figures... My Eee Pad gets here tomorrow.

That's mean... Just mean.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
*drool* me want.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Well it looks like Toshiba picked an appropriate name for their tablet "Thrive" because that is what it will do. With killer features, looks, and price... and a well known name in the industry, I think many folks will graviate to the Toshiba Thrive.
Thanks for the heads-up. My wife's been wanting a tablet and this one looks very promising.

Last edited by TimW; 02-13-2012 at 12:00 AM.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Figures... My Eee Pad gets here tomorrow.

That's mean... Just mean.

Luck;
Ken
This was the first thread I saw when trying the browser of my Transformer for the first time.

Anyway, what makes you think this will be better than the Transformer?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
This was the first thread I saw when trying the browser of my Transformer for the first time.

It comes in lime green. :P

I'm joking...kinda.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

Starting a $429 for their entry model with 8GB of on board storage expandable to 32GB

• Android 3.1, Honeycomb
  • 10.1" High-resolution LED Screen (1280x800)
  • Dual front and back webcams
  • User-replaceable Easy Grip Back cover and battery
  • One USB 2.0, One Mini USB, One HDMI and an SD Card Slot

Bundled software
  • Quick Office,
  • Need for Speed,
  • Toshiba's media player,
  • Log me in
  • Printer Share (for sending documents to a wifi printer)
Everything but mirasol. I'd better start saving my nickles...

As to what's I sold one, see the highlights
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I won't lie the no 1 reason is the looks and accessories. I would never buy my wife a transformer but a pink toshiba yes I could see that happening.

The Toshiba is $40 more expensive than the Transformer, but the entry model is $10 cheaper at expense of 8GB less. However with the Thrive you also get USB 2.0 and an SD slot. That is huge! The nice thing about the Transformer is you can have the same IO but you have to drop down another $150 to get it and comes along with a keyboard/battery. Recap with the Thrive you don't have to carry any extra ports to have access to use the USB or to transfer files via the SD card.

Last point is it has a replaceable battery sure it cost $80 but at least that is a nice option to have.

The one thing specs don't show is the screen quality and that is huge. Specs look good, but until I see one I wont really know.

Personally I think both are great devices, I just think the Thrive is just slightly better.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 06-07-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: cleared up some grammer
Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Everything but mirasol. I'd better start saving my nickles...

As to what's I sold one, see the highlights
Well it's not Marisol, but Pixel Qi, but regardless the video of Android based Pixel Qi devices are impressive. The bottom one discusses an device being powered by a solar cell, but doesn't really show it in the video.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I was reacting to the irony more than anything else. I like Toshiba for
their laptop history, but I think highly of ASUS for their Eee efforts, as
well. Have not even seen the full specs for this Tos "Thrive".

That said, it sounds interesting but I expect to see a lot of new and likely
wanted tech on a number of the devices as they come to market. None of
that takes away from the things that I like about the Eee Pad or are likely
to be things that would overshadow my choice of the Transformer.

I would rather have SD on the Pad instead of the Micro-SD, but I can work
around it.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard

As to the Solar Powering Idea, I would put the solar panels on the back of the device.
Then have a case with a transparent, at least to the light frequencies of the panels,
back and a harder front, to protect the screen. That way you could also have a
backpack with such a window and have it charging all the time you are not using it.
Also, what looks like a small solar panel on your windowsill, might not be such a target
for the sticky fingered. Same goes for in your car.

Luck;
Ken

P.S. Of course if you made a slip-on cover with the panels on it, and were it to connect
to the power as it was slid-in ...

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-07-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:41 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
mini USB, full size SD, no camera flash ...what gives???
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #14
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I'd love a 7" version of this. 10" is too big for me.

Full size HDMI, USB and SD is awesome. I hope it does well.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #15
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Not 4:3
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote