Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #61
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I don't mind sending it - if I had an address .... I don't see anything obvious with the file - but then I don't know what your routine is looking for - but in the interest of experiment I will send (erotica though !)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #62
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Lightbulb version 1.1.1201

I uploaded a new version of MobiHandler: version 1.1.1201. As always, it is on SkyDrive and the file name is mobihandler-1-1-1201-setup.msi.

This version should work with both Kindle for PC version 1.4 and 1.5. Some other bugs are also fixed, including GeoffC's. alansplace's and Onemack's are still open, though.

I again adjusted slightly 64 bit operations. I hope it improves compatibility with 64 bit OS. However, I notice that some strange cover-image-unavailable problem on 64 bit, sometimes. I want to see more feedbacks on this issue.

Alissa
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #63
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool new version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissa View Post
I uploaded a new version of MobiHandler: version 1.1.1201. As always, it is on SkyDrive and the file name is mobihandler-1-1-1201-setup.msi.

This version should work with both Kindle for PC version 1.4 and 1.5. Some other bugs are also fixed, including GeoffC's. alansplace's and Onemack's are still open, though.

I again adjusted slightly 64 bit operations. I hope it improves compatibility with 64 bit OS. However, I notice that some strange cover-image-unavailable problem on 64 bit, sometimes. I want to see more feedbacks on this issue.

Alissa
64 bit win 7 k4pc 1.4 with this version all the azw's that displayed the k4pc icon instead of a cover now display an all-white sheet of paper with the upper right corner folded down and only the tpz files still have the k4pc blue icon.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #64
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
64 bit win 7 k4pc 1.4 with this version all the azw's that displayed the k4pc icon instead of a cover now display an all-white sheet of paper with the upper right corner folded down and only the tpz files still have the k4pc blue icon.
"all-white sheet of paper" as an icon/thumbnail for .azw file appears to me either that (1) the file association for .azw is broken or that (2) you are experiencing a 64 bit only bug of MobiHandler that somehow prevents cover images to appear for a moment.

Can you try selecting one of the all-white icons on a Explorer window and see what appears on the status area (i.e., the bottom of the Explorer window)?

If you are experiencing the case (1), the left most info on the status area should be the filename (as opposed to the book title) and a default file type name "AZW File". If it is the case, I'd recommend to uninstall both K4PC and MobiHandler, then reinstall them (or, K4PC only) again.

If you are experiencing the case (2), the left most info on the status area should be the book title (as opposed to the filename) and the book author. If it is the case, I have currently no solution to the case (it is my #1 priority issue at the moment), but one of the following may help:
  • Cleanup the disk. (See the previous post for details.)
  • Ctrl-click (i.e., Press a "Ctrl" key on your keyboard and click with left mouse button while holding down the "Ctrl" key) on the "Refresh" command icon (two small green circular arrows, located just right to the address bar) of the Explorer window.
  • Restart the Windows.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #65
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"all-white sheet of paper" as an icon/thumbnail for .azw file appears to me either that (1) the file association for .azw is broken or that (2) you are experiencing a 64 bit only bug of MobiHandler that somehow prevents cover images to appear for a moment.

Can you try selecting one of the all-white icons on a Explorer window and see what appears on the status area (i.e., the bottom of the Explorer window)?

If you are experiencing the case (1), the left most info on the status area should be the filename (as opposed to the book title) and a default file type name "AZW File". If it is the case, I'd recommend to uninstall both K4PC and MobiHandler, then reinstall them (or, K4PC only) again.

If you are experiencing the case (2), the left most info on the status area should be the book title (as opposed to the filename) and the book author. If it is the case, I have currently no solution to the case (it is my #1 priority issue at the moment), but one of the following may help:
  • Cleanup the disk. (See the previous post for details.)
  • Ctrl-click (i.e., Press a "Ctrl" key on your keyboard and click with left mouse button while holding down the "Ctrl" key) on the "Refresh" command icon (two small green circular arrows, located just right to the address bar) of the Explorer window.
  • Restart the Windows.
of the 110 book file icons 30 don't display covers, 85 do display covers, 5 are tpz) and the book name appears (not the file name) in all azw icons. my C: drive has no cleanup button!!! ok, found it in programs->accessories->system tools and ran it, no joy however!!
--
Alan

Last edited by alansplace; 05-05-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: add another last sentence
Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #66
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
Hey Alissa,

Is there any chance you could do a similar shell extension for EPUB books?
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #67
Alissa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
Is there any chance you could do a similar shell extension for EPUB books?
The chance is if I would get an EPUB reader device, or my Kindle would support EPUB natively...
Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #68
Alissa
Connoisseur

Quote:
of the 110 book file icons 30 don't display covers
Hmm. I want to examine the file by myself. Can you give me a pointer to an example of those 30 azw files, e.g., a download URL if it is available on the net, or ISBN/ASIN/accurate title if it is on Amazon.com. (Free or inexpensive one is preferred. )
Old 05-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #69
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmm. I want to examine the file by myself. Can you give me a pointer to an example of those 30 azw files, e.g., a download URL if it is available on the net, or ISBN/ASIN/accurate title if it is on Amazon.com. (Free or inexpensive one is preferred. )
neat avatar, love it (and now that's how i'll picture you always).

sure can, this is a freebie, Space Opera and Planetary Romance Reader Guide
Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #70
Alissa
Connoisseur

Thank you, Alan. I got the .azw file and examined it. It appears to have no images in it.

The current version of MobiHandler can't show a cover image of a mobi/azw file unless Kindle device shows any on the book's details view (use the RIGHT button on the book on the HOME screen) as in the attached screen shot.

Amazon Kindle for PC (and possibly other Kindle software, e.g., Kindle for MacOS or Kindle for Android) may show cover images even in case Kindle device can't. (See this thread for details.)

Also, even if your kindle device shows something appearing as a text-only cover, it may not be a cover image. It can be the first text page of the book.

If anybody has an example mobi/azw file that Kindle device shows a cover for it while MobiHandler doesn't, it should be a bug of my MobiHandler. I love to examine the file. Otherwise, MobiHandler showing no cover image is a behaviour by design, and I can't fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	details.png
Views:	473
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	71839  

Last edited by Alissa; 05-25-2011 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Attached the screen shot and adjusted some wording
Old 05-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #71
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool you're welcome

Quote:
Thank you, Alan. I got the .azw file and examined it. It appears to have no images in it.

The current version of MobiHandler can't show a cover image of a mobi/azw file unless Kindle device shows any on the book's details view (use the RIGHT button on the book on the HOME screen) as in the attached screen shot.

Amazon Kindle for PC (and possibly other Kindle software, e.g., Kindle for MacOS or Kindle for Android) may show cover images even in case Kindle device can't. (See this thread for details.)

Also, even if your kindle device shows something appearing as a text-only cover, it may not be a cover image. It can be the first text page of the book.

If anybody has an example mobi/azw file that Kindle device shows a cover for it while MobiHandler doesn't, it should be a bug of my MobiHandler. I love to examine the file. Otherwise, MobiHandler showing no cover image is a behaviour by design, and I can't fix it.
you're welcome

i only have a few unaltered azw's on my kindle, but can say this. the ones that show a graphical cover on my k3 also display that same cover on my win7 pc. the ones that don't show a graphical cover on my k3 display the all-white page shaped default icon on my win7 pc. sorry that i misunderstood the original question. i would like to see your program display mobi/prc covers as well.

good luck
Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #72
Alissa
Connoisseur

Quote:
i would like to see your program display mobi/prc covers as well.

good luck
Hmm. Do you mean there are some mobi/prc files whose graphical cover images are shown on a Kindle device but not on MobiHandler? (case 1) Or, you mean that you have a mobi/prc reading device other than Kindle (or mobi/prc reading program on PC other than K4PC) and some mobi/prc files whose cover images are shown with that non-Kindle device/program but not with MobiHandler? (case 2)

I'm sorry I know my English is not good enough to explain complicated conditions like this... I hope you get an accurate idea what I mean.

If you are experiencing the case 1, I believe it is a bug of MobiHandler, and I want to examine the mobi/prc file that causes the issue. If you are experiencing the case 2, well, I hope I could make the MobiHandler to show cover images from those mobi/prc files, but I'm not sure I can do it (as in the case of K4PC only cover images.) Anyway I want to know more details of your case.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #73
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool all of them

Quote:
Hmm. Do you mean there are some mobi/prc files whose graphical cover images are shown on a Kindle device but not on MobiHandler? (case 1) Or, you mean that you have a mobi/prc reading device other than Kindle (or mobi/prc reading program on PC other than K4PC) and some mobi/prc files whose cover images are shown with that non-Kindle device/program but not with MobiHandler? (case 2)

I'm sorry I know my English is not good enough to explain complicated conditions like this... I hope you get an accurate idea what I mean.

If you are experiencing the case 1, I believe it is a bug of MobiHandler, and I want to examine the mobi/prc file that causes the issue. If you are experiencing the case 2, well, I hope I could make the MobiHandler to show cover images from those mobi/prc files, but I'm not sure I can do it (as in the case of K4PC only cover images.) Anyway I want to know more details of your case.
hmmmm....let me check....ok, all of my mobi files (over 1000) display the default .mobi icon using mobihandler (win7 64bit) and all of them on my kindle 3 and in my calibre library display a graphical cover.

here's an example in baen free books, it's free, just download the one marked 'Mobi/Palm/Kindle Format'.

Berserker Throne by Fred Saberhagen

Last edited by alansplace; 05-27-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: fix error
Old 05-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #74
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
In your windows explorer window, have you tried using the menu in "more options":

Name:	more options.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	71929Click image for larger version

Name:	more options menu.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	71930

For me, the default book icon is displayed for the "small" selection and the book cover icon is displayed for the "medium", "large", and "very large" selection:

Name:	small icons.gif
Views:	503
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	71931Click image for larger version

Name:	medium icons.gif
Views:	493
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	71932Click image for larger version

Name:	large icons.gif
Views:	480
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	71933Click image for larger version

Name:	very large icons.gif
Views:	506
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	71934
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #75
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool k4pc!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
In your windows explorer window, have you tried using the menu in "more options":

For me, the default book icon is displayed for the "small" selection and the book cover icon is displayed for the "medium", "large", and "very large" selection:
all icon sizes display the same default mobipocket reader icon. but your post made me curious.

so i changed the default app for mobi files (which i won't do permanently) to kindle for pc.

well then the graphical icon was displayed. it appears that alissa's mobihandler app is dependent on kindle for pc.

....upon further experimentation after i change back to default to reader.exe a few (perhaps 10% or less do not) change back to the reader.exe icon.

Last edited by alansplace; 05-27-2011 at 02:22 PM.