Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

OK, since nothing is perfect, these are my issues with the Kindle:

1.) If I download a sample, and then buy the book, why is the sample still there on my Kindle? I find that annoying.

2.) I can't find a way to delete (the samples, for example!), from the Kindle. Do you really have to connect it to the computer? I thought the whole point was no computer?

3.) I wish the right-side page turn button was the same angle as the left side - i.e. flat.

4.) The Sony Reader is positively sexy in comparison (still getting over this!)

5.) I wish the keyboard on the front could be covered somehow. They distract me while I'm reading. I like no distractions while I read.

6.) The enclosed case really is rubbish.

Even with all these faults, the Kindle is a remarkable first attempt from Amazon.

Last edited by WilliamG; 12-10-2007 at 03:08 PM.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #17
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
OK, since nothing is perfect, these are my issues with the Kindle:

1.) If I download a sample, and then buy the book, why is the sample still there on my Kindle? I find that annoying.

2.) I can't find a way to delete (the samples, for example!), from the Kindle. Do you really have to connect it to the computer? I thought the whole point was no computer?

3.) I wish the right-side page turn button was the same angle as the left side - i.e. flat.

4.) The Sony Reader is positively sexy in comparison (still getting over this!)

5.) I wish the keyboard on the front could be covered somehow. They distract me while I'm reading. I like no distractions while I read.

6.) The enclosed case really is rubbish.

Even with all these faults, the Kindle is a remarkable first attempt from Amazon.
1) I want it to put me in the new book at the same location where I left off in the sample, too.

2) Go to the Content Manager from the main menu. You can delete it there.

4) *sigh* I know. Ultimately I'll choose function over form but I'd prefer to have both.

5) A nifty little slide out keyboard like I have on my smartphone would rock.

6) The case is working pretty well for me now that the spine's a bit more bendy and the tab in the back isn't slipping out of its groove as much. I think that's also it flexing a bit with wear. This makes me worry that it'll just wear out in a while, though. I'm hoping for a better aftermarket case.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #18
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
1) I want it to put me in the new book at the same location where I left off in the sample, too.

2) Go to the Content Manager from the main menu. You can delete it there.

4) *sigh* I know. Ultimately I'll choose function over form but I'd prefer to have both.

5) A nifty little slide out keyboard like I have on my smartphone would rock.

6) The case is working pretty well for me now that the spine's a bit more bendy and the tab in the back isn't slipping out of its groove as much. I think that's also it flexing a bit with wear. This makes me worry that it'll just wear out in a while, though. I'm hoping for a better aftermarket case.
Thanks for the reply. I figured there's a way to delete from the Kindle, but I'm too lazy to figure it out myself.

I picked up my Reader PRS-500 yesterday in the brown suede case. Sony really got a nice design there (though not perfect, of course). Seriously Amazon! What the heck were they thinking? It really does look like they took awesome hardware and just couldn't decide what shell to put it in. Gen.2 will be an advancement I'm sure (unlike the PRS-505 for the most part).
Old 12-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Bezos said he wanted it to "disappear" in the hand and be booklike. I think that's why they went for the white color and that wedge shape. They wanted it to look like pages. The white reflects too much light back, though. The screen would actually be even more readable in a darker case. To me, it seems like they kept going down that conceptual road even after it was obvious that it was a bad idea. (Yeah, I know the FCC pics were unflattering but you'd thing they would've listen to all the hundreds of blog criticisms about how ugly the thing is.) I'm not a fan of the shape but I can see that maybe they were already too committed to change that. However, changing the color of an enclosure material isn't time consuming or expensive in manufacturing.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #20
WilliamG
Addict

Quote:
Bezos said he wanted it to "disappear" in the hand and be booklike. I think that's why they went for the white color and that wedge shape. They wanted it to look like pages. The white reflects too much light back, though. The screen would actually be even more readable in a darker case. To me, it seems like they kept going down that conceptual road even after it was obvious that it was a bad idea. (Yeah, I know the FCC pics were unflattering but you'd thing they would've listen to all the hundreds of blog criticisms about how ugly the thing is.) I'm not a fan of the shape but I can see that maybe they were already too committed to change that. However, changing the color of an enclosure material isn't time consuming or expensive in manufacturing.
Bezos is simply wrong. While by no means massively uncomfortable, the shape needs work, without question. That left-side previous-page button is so big as to be plain ridiculous, as was mentioned earlier. Just madness. It really amazes me how some designs make it out of the concept phase...
Old 12-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #21
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
I, also, think the samples->full book transition is poor, and the click-chain to delete anything is abysmal. They should really offer you the ability to delete it from any item's menu. These were some my first complaints on getting the book, actually. (Which was posted here)

Another major annoyance: it only saves your place in the book if you leave reading the book for the home screen (or other non-book-specific place). If you go to the TOC to look at the chapter list, you lose your place! They should really have some sort of "furthest read" bookmark that's sticky no matter how you read your book.

I've still been really lucky with my case, my Kindle hasn't fallen out yet, not even when I lift it slightly to toggle the wireless switch. And I don't even use Alisa's trick of wrapping the band on the corner of the Kindle.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Another major annoyance: it only saves your place in the book if you leave reading the book for the home screen (or other non-book-specific place). If you go to the TOC to look at the chapter list, you lose your place! They should really have some sort of "furthest read" bookmark that's sticky no matter how you read your book.
I just tested it. The back button will do this.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Maybe that's why it's so big!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #24
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
Quote:
Amen! I would love to have it, after reading the sample book and purchasing it, put me right where I left off. That makes so much sense I can't believe they can't do it.

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #25
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I just tested it. The back button will do this.
Ah, true for the case of wanting to go to TOC and back to reading again. Good point.

But not if you leave the book from the TOC and come back to it after reading other books, browsing the web, etc, so that the page you want is too far in the back queue to get to with reasonable levels of patience (and you better hope in your impatience you don't mistakenly pass it by, since there is no 'forward' button).

Update: Grrr. It's even worse, don't play with the back queue to see how far it goes. I'm reading 4 books concurrently and just lost my reading place in 2 of them since I played with the back queue for quite awhile and it found all the places I'd left off reading several iterations back and now thinks those are the last read place. Ick, ick, ick. Curiosity isn't always a good thing.

BTW, NatCh, the "back" button is a small one. The "prev page" is the one unusually large.

Last edited by zartemis; 12-10-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #26
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Update: Grrr. It's even worse, don't play with the back queue to see how far it goes. I'm reading 4 books concurrently and just lost my reading place in 2 of them since I played with the back queue for quite awhile and it found all the places I'd left off reading several iterations back and now thinks those are the last read place. Ick, ick, ick. Curiosity isn't always a good thing....
Honestly I find it easier to just "alt - b" and bookmark every time I leave a page, it's fast and I don't have to worry about losing my page when I go checking out other books...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Honestly I find it easier to just "alt - b" and bookmark every time I leave a page, it's fast and I don't have to worry about losing my page when I go checking out other books...
I didn't know this. You should add it to the tip sticky.

This actually is the third way to bookmark a page.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #28
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I didn't know this [alt-B]. You should add it to the tip sticky.
It's already there (posted on 11/28).
Old 12-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #29
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Bezos is simply wrong. While by no means massively uncomfortable, the shape needs work, without question. That left-side previous-page button is so big as to be plain ridiculous, as was mentioned earlier. Just madness. It really amazes me how some designs make it out of the concept phase...
Well, that's a matter of opinion. I really like the shape and the large buttons. It allows me to hold it in a variety of positions, with either hand, and always easily reach one of the buttons. I always keep it in the cover, which makes it possible to hold it at the top left with one hand, and still hit the next page button. Or I can slide my left hand down, hold it near the bottom, and hit the next page button with my index finger. Same goes for holding it with my right hand only. I find it to be very functional.

My only complaints are the color (I wish it were darker), and that it takes too much force to click the roller wheel.
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:57 AM   #30
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
no matter what the shape there will be people who dislike the physical part of the Kindle. If these things take off I can see an after market for all sorts of cases and such for these.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote