Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Screen angled inside reader

I just thought I share this:

I passed on my 505 to my wife and upgraded to a 600 a while ago. My wife usually keeps her 505 in her purse for reading on the go (while waiting for the little one to come out of school and such).
Then we took our readers to a nearby park while it was really hot (at least for our location) with about 37Celcius.
We came back, my wife didn't use her reader until she wanted to do so yesterday. Well, the reader didn't turn on allthough my wife was sure it should have at least 3 battery bars. So I thought it needs a charge as probably my wife didn't recall exactly. After some time the charging process stopped but the reader couldn't be turned on.
After some pressing buttons and thinking what could be wrong, I tried the little reset button and the unit came back to life. It was doing a boot up. We never really shut off our devices completely.
So, it works again, right. Right.
But I can see a black bar on the right and bottom of the screen, even if the reader is off (stand by).
Looks like the frame of the screen. When turned on, the display shows all content like before, but still, there's that fine line on the right and bottom.
I suspect that probably the display is glued or held in place by some temperature sensitive means which gave in at those high temperatures. It may be even coming from having the purse in the car while it was so hot.

Anyway, it's working and I'm glad it does. Being able to see some small black bar at the bottom and side isn't an issue, but still it seems a little confusing to me.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
I havea brand new PRS-600 and it has the same thing. Looks like the screen is mounted a few pixels to the left of where it should be. Are you sure it wasn't there before? I find it hard to believe that the screen could move inside the casing on its own but keep working.
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Yes, I'm absolutely sure that it was perfectly aligned before. I used that reader for about a yaer before handing it down to my, wife. And I'm usually especially carefull with all my toys, so I'm pretty sure I would have noticed before. In your case it may may be due to a "mistake" in Sony's assembly process and quality department
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote