Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
The iPad currently has two sources: iBooks and Amazon.
...and Kobo.... and soon to be B&N. Certainly more than any dedicated eBook reader devices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #62
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
...and Kobo.... and soon to be B&N. Certainly more than any dedicated eBook reader devices.

BOb
OK. I must have missed the announcement about Kobo.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #63
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
In fact, the peculiar thing about the way that Apple has set things up is that the iBook Store is actually the MOST limited source of ebooks for the iPad - a setup that's even dumber than the Sony/Adobe rigamarole. When you couple that with the lack of an iPhone/Touch iBook reader app, you have to wonder whether Apple actually understands how people read ebooks on its own devices...
I wouldn't be surprised if apple's reasoning is something along the lines of an ebook app and store are something of a selling point, but not enough of a selling point to make it a major focus for them when they are launching their new hardware. Don't forget those disparaging remarks made by Steve Jobs in the past about reading and ebooks.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #64
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
You are correct, but only to a limited extent. You don't fully understand how eBooks get on the iPad.

The only "registered computer" situation is for books you buy from Apple. Those seem to be treated just like iTunes files.

But there are more sources for other ebooks on the iPad than for any other ebook reading device. For example, any Kindle book can be read on the iPad.

And getting free books on to the iPad is easy as pie, once you get the right App.
Not sure I understand; I was under the impression that the iPad, like the iPhone, could only interface with a computer through iTunes, which needed to be registered to the particular device, so you can't use a friend's computer to get new MP3s on your iPod(/iPhone/iTouch). Is the iPad different?

Can you download from the web directly into the iPad? Like, browse Mobileread on its browser, pick a free ebook, and download & start reading it?

Can it connect to any computer and transfer non-DRM'd ebooks?

I move between two home computers, home laptop & work computer. One of the home computers isn't web-accessible at all, and can't do DRM'd anything because it's not connected to the internet. Could an iPad deal with files from any of those four sources? (While I wouldn't *need* to transfer files directly from those sources to the iPad, being able to use it at home or work--where my ability to install software is sharply limited--would be useful.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #65
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Not sure I understand; I was under the impression that the iPad, like the iPhone, could only interface with a computer through iTunes, which needed to be registered to the particular device, so you can't use a friend's computer to get new MP3s on your iPod(/iPhone/iTouch). Is the iPad different?

Can you download from the web directly into the iPad? Like, browse Mobileread on its browser, pick a free ebook, and download & start reading it?

Can it connect to any computer and transfer non-DRM'd ebooks?

I move between two home computers, home laptop & work computer. One of the home computers isn't web-accessible at all, and can't do DRM'd anything because it's not connected to the internet. Could an iPad deal with files from any of those four sources? (While I wouldn't *need* to transfer files directly from those sources to the iPad, being able to use it at home or work--where my ability to install software is sharply limited--would be useful.)
I think you are right that for physical connections, you must use iTunes to transfer things onto the iPad. But what gives me a little pause about that is that you can use a camera/flash disk reader to upload pictures. My hunch is that there's more I just don't know about.

With one exception I'm aware of, the only way to download files into the iPad from the internet is in the specific app to which the files relate. The exception seems to be pdfs, which someone said can be transferred to Pages from email, but I might have read that wrong. I'm also not sure if the email feature for Kindle works with the Kindle app. If it does, that might work for pdfs and maybe for nonDRM mobi files.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #66
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
PDFs can also be transferred from Safari to the 99 cent goodreader app by typing a "g" in front of the URL in safari.

I think the Kindle app lets you buy books as well, believe it just opens safari and you can buy and send it to the iPad Kindle app.

So there will be ways to get books on it without hooking it up to the PC, just up to the Apps to build in the feature.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 AM   #67
Melvinjames18
Melvinjames18 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reading on Sony Reader or kindle make my eyes more comfortable I think. I don't have iPad, but my eyes hurts if I read on iPhone for hours.
The problems is, iPad has much more than a eReader. If i just wanna read, ereader is enough, for more entertainment? iPad of course.
Melvinjames18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:59 AM   #68
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
I like the idea of a reader that's not also a computer.

I don't want it to have the option of movie watching, game playing, web surfing, email, getting phone calls, twittering etc. The computer screen has a different relation to time and space than the book page.

I want a pocket-sized not too heavy device with which I can lose myself in a book without having a thousand distractions nudging at the edge of the page, trying to get my attention. Having the option of taking some notes, or logging into google or wikipedia to look up something is about as far as I'd go in extras.

So while I'd like to get a tablet PC at some point as a laptop replacement, I'd still keep the e-ink reader for actual books.
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:55 AM   #69
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Google Library already offer millions of books for sony reader in EPUB format and the purpose of the project was to scan and make available 18 million books.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #70
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
Google Library already offer millions of books for sony reader in EPUB format and the purpose of the project was to scan and make available 18 million books.
but they are also available for iPad if they are ePub so the iPad has the same as the sony AND the B&N and kindle that wont work.

Basically at the moment the iPad will read a larger range than any dedictaed e-reader BUT it isnt an E-reader so its a little bit of a fudged comparison.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:29 AM   #71
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Answer: Yes
Hey Bremen, what happened to your Sony? Should I be checking the flea market section for a bargain?
Oh well, good on you, I hope you are enjoying your new gadget.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:41 AM   #72
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
At least the iPad currently has two DRM formats, will likely get the B&N reader app soon to add a 3rd etc. So it has more flexibility than other reader devices.

No more (and probably less) than a tablet PC, but I doubt we'll see full OS tablet PCs matching the form factor, screen quality, battery life, the smoothness/slickness of opening apps,scrolling etc. any time soon.
This new 10" Windows/Ubuntu slate from Ekoore may not have the battery life, but the rest of the features bear comparison with the iPad, so perhaps should be considered as a potential eReader, particularly as it's available in Europe now and cheaper than the expected price of the iPad over here:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/lapto...pete-with-ipad

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 04-07-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #73
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
I think you lost the thread. We weren't talking about the number of titles available but the number of DRMed formats. The Sony is limited to 1 at this point in time.

Of course, any PC supports the most.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #74
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
This new 10" Windows/Ubuntu slate from Ekoore may not have the battery life, but the rest of the features bear comparison with the iPad, so perhaps should be considered as a potential eReader, particularly as it's available in Europe now and cheaper than the expected price of the iPad over here:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/lapto...pete-with-ipad

Graham
It will certainly be an option like any tablet PC.

But it won't have the battery life, nor will it have the slickness of the interface as mobile windows 7 just isn't as optimized for touching, won't be as near instant on opening programs etc. as the iPad. Just a downside of being a full OS. Also a lot thicker (and probably heavier than the iPad) as well.

But certainly, that and any tablet PC can be considered as options for e-reading. I have no interest in a full tablet PC period--reading or otherwise. But that's just me, not saying they shouldn't come out or they can't be useful to lots of people!

I just want something thin, light, with great battery life and a snappy, super fast OS to use just for reading, document markup, videos, net surfing, short e-mails etc., and I don't need a full tablet PC for that. Just a media consumption tablet.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #75
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Also a lot thicker (and probably heavier than the iPad) as well.
Yes, you're right. I've found the tech specs now.

Thickness: Ekoore: 24 mm; iPad: 13.4 mm.
Weight: Ekoore: 1 kg; iPad 0.68 kg.

They're cagey about the Ekoore battery life... can't find that...

As you've said elsewhere, and which I agree with, it will be interesting to see how the new Android tablets compare when they arrive.

It's been interesting digging into this as it's given me a different perspective on the iPad. The cleverness of the device seems to be derived more from what they've found they can leave out while still delivering the desired features, to bring down the thickness and weight, and increase the battery life, than in anything particularly revolutionary that they've put in.

Graham