Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
kanon
kanon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
Amazon is lowering the price of Kindle International to $259

I just received this email from Amazon:

Hello,

Good news! Due to strong customer demand for our newest Kindle with U.S. and international wireless, we are consolidating our family of 6" Kindles. As part of this consolidation, we are lowering the price of the Kindle you just purchased from $279 down to $259. You don't need to do anything to get the lower price--we are automatically issuing you a $20 refund. This refund should be processed in the next few days and will appear as a credit on your next billing statement.

We'll also send you a follow-up e-mail to confirm the refund once it has been completed.
We hope you enjoy your new Kindle. Please send us your feedback at: Kindle-feedback@amazon.com

Sincerely,

The Kindle Team
kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wow, talk about being reactive. All International Kindle users should send a quick thank you to B&N. Competition is good (^_^)

They apparently will also offer limited web browsing, which means English Wikipedia only, um ok, it's a start.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/22/a...ith-20-refund/

Last edited by fuzzy_dunlop; 10-22-2009 at 04:47 AM.
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
They apparently will also offer limited web browsing, which means English Wikipedia only, um ok, it's a start.
That's always been the case - it's not new.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
DutchFrank
DutchFrank began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am not sure if it is a reaction to B&N, because we cannot use the nook internationally to shop in their store, if I am correct. I at least am very happy with my International Kindle, and very happy with the $20 refund
DutchFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #5
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Really? For the international edition? I guess they changed it.

International Kindle won't let you use terrible web browser overseas, Oct. 14
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/14/i...-browser-over/

Last edited by HarryT; 10-22-2009 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Accidental edit - ignore
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
parsi
parsi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I was amazed to get this email - my new Kindle is a couple of miles away in the UPS depot so I'm getting a refund before the unit.

I wonder however about the duty and import charges - they would have been levied on the older price of $279.
parsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsi View Post
I wonder however about the duty and import charges - they would have been levied on the older price of $279.
I think that all the tax authorities care about, is the price at the time you bought it - and even if they did, they'd probably charge you a fee for any refunds
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
parsi

Ah yes, but it's the principle !

Anyway it's a good idea from Amazon - shows that they do have a clear sense of how to market to people and keep customers sweet enough to continue buying.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:37 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's very new old news then
Amazon even still states: "Blogs and the experimental web browser are currently not available for your country" (I selected a few European countries)
Old 10-22-2009, 05:53 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsi View Post
Ah yes, but it's the principle !

Anyway it's a good idea from Amazon - shows that they do have a clear sense of how to market to people and keep customers sweet enough to continue buying.
I agree - I was thinking the same thing as you. After all, Amazon just lost me the equivalent of 5-6 USD

and the DHL van is coming. Wooo!!!! I'll have to go!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
Really? For the international edition? I guess they changed it.

International Kindle won't let you use terrible web browser overseas, Oct. 14
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/14/i...-browser-over/

You can't use it as a general web-browser, but you CAN use it to go to Wikipedia specifically.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #12
parsi

Sitting in the canteen having a coffee and my kindle was hand delivered.. woohoo.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #13
Ea
Wizard

Mine came just an hour ago.

I've already loaded some books and sent some samples from Amazon.com and first impression is: Super!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
So, did they phase out the plain Kindle 2?
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
So, did they phase out the plain Kindle 2?
Apparently, instead of having a US and International K2, they are now 'consolidating' and selling only the International K2 new.

Refurbished US only will still be available

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...6221095&sr=8-3.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote