Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #31
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Does anyone know the maximum number of books that ShuBook will hold?
I had considered dumping 1000 in to see what would happen normally I dont carry more than 10 or so, if I am being indecisive about what I want to be reading. I used to carry hundreds, but since beginning to really make use of Calibre and Dropbox, I dont feel the need to carry everything with me.

[edit] I have a 3GS so all comments should be read with that in mind... its got a slower CPU and less RAM than later models. I loaded >500 books then stopped to see how the app would behave. The actual import from itunes (I chose the drag and drop method, rather than use Calibre which is another option) was speedy, and easy. With all those books on board, the app was still fast to open. Where I got slowdowns was in scrolling the list, or checking in author pages which books, and in opening and reading books. Page turns were very slow, whereas normally they are FAST. I wont be adding any more, there will come a point soon where the phone will freeze, but still, I would say with a decent phone and enough RAM (ie 4S or 5) you could easily have 1000 on board and never see any lagging. Also, the only other app I would load that many into would be Stanza. ... Bluefire and the others simply cannot manage the load.

[edit #2] I tell a lie. Just in the process of deleting most of the books, and find that I actually loaded close to 800.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 09-30-2012 at 08:40 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #32
HPG
Enthusiast
HPG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I'm not seeing that but I do use custom colors. Very dark maroon text on a light cream background.
Turns out that it was a book-specific problem. They're working on it now.
HPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #33
Horace56
Horace56 began at the beginning.

Device: IPad Mini
Shubook SE on IPad Mini

Hello all I am a 'newby' here and recent convert to the world of digital reading.
I have been using the forum to gain reader and ebook info and knowledge since purchasing an IPad Mini some 3 months ago.

Initially used Stanza (on my IPod then IPad mini) which worked with no issues until about 4 weeks ago when it started to freeze.
A problem lots of people either seem to experience or have a trouble free ride.

Then tried out Marvin after reading about it on Mobileread. Marvin was okay for me but my wife (who is not really computer savvy) really struggled with the interface into Calibre (both ODPS and the new direct plugin). For my wife it has to simple. Like 'one step' simplicity........
With Marvin the only issue was with the dimming function which we both found a little difficult to use after the simple Stanza swipe to dim.

Then I found Shubook SE recommended via this thread and we have both been using it for the past 3 weeks. Glad to say that we have found it to be simple to use and very easy to interface to Calibre via wireless. Best of all my wife has no problems using it and interfacing to Calibre on her own. That means I have more time to

In summary for my wife and I Shubook SE is a simple good all round reader interface for our IPad minis. For me the swipe to dim works just like Stanza did.
Shubook gets our

Last edited by Horace56; 07-21-2013 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Line spacing issue......
Horace56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #34
Horace56

Day/night control issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPG View Post
Is anyone else experiencing a problem with Shubook SE to do with the day/night control? I'm finding that if I go from day (black text on white ground) to night (vice versa), and then back again, the formerly black text is a very faint grey. I have to re-launch the app to get it black again. I've reported it using the "contact customer support" feature, but not had any reply.
Interestingly I experienced this initially but after re-syncing my IPad to load some scheduled updates I have not experienced the problem since.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #35
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
What's the current take on Shubook? The comments in the (German) AppStore indicate, and outright say, the app was abandoned. The last update was in March this year, which doesn't seem that long ago.

(I mostly use iBooks for Apple-store-bought books, which I actually prefer graphics- and UI-wise, and Marvin for everything else (via DropBox
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #36
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
What's the current take on Shubook? The comments in the (German) AppStore indicate, and outright say, the app was abandoned. The last update was in March this year, which doesn't seem that long ago.

(I mostly use iBooks for Apple-store-bought books, which I actually prefer graphics- and UI-wise, and Marvin for everything else (via DropBox
There was an update, it was hard to say what it was they updated, because functionally, its much the same as it was. I'm still using Stanza, even with its bugs. I'll use Marvin when the iPhone version emerges, and iBooks for store bought books. I'd switch to iBooks permanently if I didnt love Stanza so much and if it allowed downloads from other sources... otoh "open in" works just fine, when accessing from dropbox or elsewhere.

I think shubooks started well but will not make the final cut.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #37
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace56 View Post
Then tried out Marvin after reading about it on Mobileread. Marvin was okay for me but my wife (who is not really computer savvy) really struggled with the interface into Calibre (both ODPS and the new direct plugin). For my wife it has to simple. Like 'one step' simplicity........
With Marvin the only issue was with the dimming function which we both found a little difficult to use after the simple Stanza swipe to dim.
[snip]
In summary for my wife and I Shubook SE is a simple good all round reader interface for our IPad minis. For me the swipe to dim works just like Stanza did.
Shubook gets our
Not sure exactly what your issue was with Marvin...but it has a very simple swipe to dim feature....slide finger up=brighter, slide finger down=dimmer????
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #38
Horace56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Not sure exactly what your issue was with Marvin...but it has a very simple swipe to dim feature....slide finger up=brighter, slide finger down=dimmer????
It seems the issue was with the 'cheap' screen protector on the IPad which has now been replaced with a much better quality one.
Which can even be removed, washed then put back on!
We have both had another go with Marvin and it works okay......
It would be good if Marvin had a wireless sync like ShuBook instead of the plug in to PC or having to change the OPDS IP each time. Would make it easier for my not so computer literate wife.
We certainly hope that Shubook is not discontinued as it works well.
Anyway that is the software business......here today, gone yesterday
Old 08-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #39
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace56 View Post
It would be good if Marvin had a wireless sync like ShuBook instead of the plug in to PC or having to change the OPDS IP each time.
Changing the IP each time? If only there were http://dyn.com/dns/ or http://www.noip.com/ or a "few" other dynamic DNS providers... http://dnslookup.me/dynamic-dns/

;-)
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote