Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
localbuyer
localbuyer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch
Font Change no longer works on Nook Simple?

Hi All:

I have first generation Nook and I was using Calibre to add extra CSS so I can read Chinese epubs.

Nook Font Change

However, I just got a Nook simple touch and the Chinese ebooks can no longer be displayed on the new Nook STR.

I added it as extra css via Calibre:

@font-face {
font-family: "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
}
@font-face {
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic;"DroidFont"
}
body { font-family: "DroidFont", serif;}

The trick works great for the old Nook, but not the new Nook simple touch.

Any suggestion?

Thanks again
localbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not just embed the fonts in the actual ePub/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
localbuyer

How to do that using Calibre?

I am kind of disappointed since the css trick worked nicely on the 1st gen Nook. Not sure what has changed on the new Nook STR that causes the problem
Old 06-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What probably changed is the location of the fonts, the font's themselves and/or the names of the fonts. Could be any combination. So unless you know what's changed, you won't know what do other then embedding the fonts directly into the ePub. You actually cannot do this via Calibre. You have to go into the ePub and add the fonts, edit the CSS, and edit the OPF.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
The new Nook seems to work completely differently with fonts, even embedded ones. On the old Nook, you could have embedded fonts but the user could override them by changing the device settings. Now the embedded fonts seem to prevent any user override. I think there are some bugs that need to be ironed out.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Nook STR is using a different version of Android than Nook 1 and as JSWolf suggests, the location and names of the system fonts may have changed. So if you can find out where Android 2.1 usually puts them and what they are named, you could try that and see if it works.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
localbuyer

I did more testing by copying the font to the memory card and modified the css source to the external location.

Still no go. I guess it's more than just fonts location problem.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #8
thawk
Connoisseur
thawk began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
You must check the "Publisher Defaults" option to use the CSS font settings.
thawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

nook STR also has a different version of ADE. That is probably part of the problem.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
maxspiderx
maxspiderx began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Has anyone found a solution to this yet?
maxspiderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If you embed the fonts, it will work on any reading system that supports this (including Nook); you won't have to rely on what the system has:

http://blog.threepress.org/2009/09/1...in-epub-files/

That said, it would be trivial for B&N to add Droid fonts to the list you get to pick from. Then at least there would be one with better Unicode support...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
maxspiderx
maxspiderx began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Oh man...this guide is beyond me. Can anyone write a more simplified version?
maxspiderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
dalamario
Enthusiast
dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: KOBO Aura HD, KOBO Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxspiderx View Post
Oh man...this guide is beyond me. Can anyone write a more simplified version?
If you root it, then you can install "font changer" to change any font (substituting fonts, not adding news).
Put attention to it because some are UI fonts and it's better not to change it.
dalamario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
Phan Quoc Huy
Phan Quoc Huy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
[SOLVED] Use my Calibre plugin to change font

I have written a plugin for Calibre, that change the font in EPUB files. You can choose to embed the font, use system font, or use your external font using the preferences page. It works with Nook, Nook Touch and any kind of device that can display EPUB.

take a look at my personal page

http://phanquochuy.me/?p=114
Phan Quoc Huy is offline   Reply With Quote