Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Exclamation Does Calibre w/ Ubuntu transfer files as read-only?

I actually have another thread going on using the Sony PRS 900 with the Ubuntu distribution of linux, but I think this _could_ be a Calibre issue, so I'm posting it here.

Earlier today, I transferred about 90 epub ebooks to my PRS 900. That was all cool, until I decided I didn't need that many on there and only wanted to keep about 10. When I tried to delete them using only the device, they would not delete. No error message nothing. The files just stayed put.

I used my computer to navigate to the devices media folder and tried to delete them that way. I was told the files were read-only.

Finally, I ended up running Nautilus (Ubuntu's file manager) as root and was finally able to nuke them off the device.

Anyway, was just wondering if Calibre transfers files as read only in Ubuntu, or perhaps I did something silly.
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
I haven't found them to be read only on my Iliad, DR1000, or Pocket Pro on Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04 or 9.10. Did you happen to run Calibre as root? Check to see how your system mounts your ereader. Maybe it mounts is as root for some reason?
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

uggg... now I can't transfer files period. Says the whole "reader" mount is read only.

How do I check to see if Calibre mounts it as root?

I get this error now:
ERROR: Device database corrupted:
Code:
 <p>The database of books on the reader is corrupted. Try the following:
                <ol>
                <li>Unplug the reader. Wait for it to finish regenerating the database (i.e. wait till it is ready to be used). Plug it back in. Now it should work with calibre. If not try the next step.</li>
                <li>Quit calibre. Find the file media.xml in the reader's main memory. Delete it. Unplug the reader. Wait for it to regenerate the file. Re-connect it and start calibre.</li>
                </ol>
Old 03-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Deleted - wrong thread!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
tulsa
Zealot

ehh.. I don't know what the problem is. The prs 900 thinks everything is read only.. I'm gonna have to mess this later before my head explodes...
Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
First off are you sure calibre is the one mounting your device? Ubuntu has automounting. Does the device get mounted when calibre is not running?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
tulsa
Zealot

Hey Kovid, thought you were on vacation!

Yes, Ubuntu mounts it as "reader" and also as the install directory for Sony's reader software.

However, I booted up vmware and had windows repair my device's drives. Not sure what happened to them, but everything seems to be working now.

I have no clue how all this came about. Something went screwy somewhere.

I think what I'll do is just run under windows for the time being using the latest install. I was using an older version through synaptic on the Ubuntu side.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah, I am, but I just can't stay away
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, permissions, read-only, ubuntu