Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 01:50 AM   #226
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Is yours International? This hack doesnt work for them.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #227
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreKR View Post
I copied the bin to my kindle (and even restarted) but the "Update my kindle" menu item is still greyed out. What to do?
Make sure you use the right package for the right kindle.

Kindle 2 US, Kindle 2 DX and Kindle 2 International all use a different bin file, and you can't not load one into another.

If you copy the binary for say the Kindle 2 on the DX; then the update option will stay grey.

That your menu item is still greyed out means that you didn't copy the right .bin file.

Kindle 2: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=150
Kindle DX: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=23
Kindle 2 International: http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/scree...k2i-0.1.tar.gz

Note the the Kindle 2 International and Kindle DX are very similar internally so the instructions for the DX are the same as for the Kindle 2 International

To install on the Kindle 2i ; you have to "jailbreak" it first by installing this package first (http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/updat...kindle-k2i.bin) instructions are there:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60856

Hope this helps...

Last edited by jyavenard; 11-05-2009 at 01:24 AM.
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:07 PM   #228
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
jyavenard

Thankyou for persisting with this. I have now managed to make this work on a brand new computer that had no pre-existing programmes that might somehow have impacted on this.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #229
bchaplin
Enthusiast
bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, K3 (Kindle Keyboard)
Link for K2 International

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
Make sure you use the right package for the right kindle.

Kindle 2 US, Kindle 2 DX and Kindle 2 International all use a different bin file, and you can't not load one into another.

If you copy the binary for say the Kindle 2 on the DX; then the update option will stay grey.

That your menu item is still greyed out means that you didn't copy the right .bin file.

Kindle 2: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=150
Kindle DX: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=23
Kindle 2 International: http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/kindl...nsaver-0.1.zip

Note the the Kindle 2 International and Kindle DX are very similar internally so the instructions for the DX are the same as for the Kindle 2 International

To install on the Kindle 2i ; you have to "jailbreak" it first by installing this package first (http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/updat...kindle-k2i.bin) instructions are there:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60856

Hope this helps...
My problem too! I clicked on the link for the K2 International version but I got a 404 not found message. Is there a new link? Thanks SO much!!
bchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #230
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
My problem too! I clicked on the link for the K2 International version but I got a 404 not found message. Is there a new link? Thanks SO much!!
Yeah, I renamed the file to .tar.gz

Here is the link:
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/scree...k2i-0.1.tar.gz

That's for the Kindle 2 International only ; also edited the post above with the new link
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #231
bchaplin
Enthusiast
bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, K3 (Kindle Keyboard)
Eureka!

Thanks! Worked wonderfully.
It seems like such a small thing, but it makes me VERY happy! I guess I am so used to customizing all my computers, phones... that it was frustrating to not be able to do this with my Kindle.

I used my Mac to perform the update and their were no issues, for anyone who is wondering. I noticed that I had to place the screensavers in the newly created folder after the update was performed, then restart.
bchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #232
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post

I can't help you, but your post made me laugh
+1

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #233
parabolee
parabolee began at the beginning.

Has anyone tried to update to the newest 2.3 firmware while using this hack?

Just wondering if it is safe to take the new update or if I should restore the original screensaver before allowing the update to install. Also does this hack still work in the new firmware?

Details on the new firmware -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200324680
parabolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #234
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
From what I read in the thread about the update, this hack and the font hack do not work, post 2.3 update.

Some one mentioned that now it looks like the OS only accepts signed updates.
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #235
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilker View Post
From what I read in the thread about the update, this hack and the font hack do not work, post 2.3 update.

Some one mentioned that now it looks like the OS only accepts signed updates.
It looks like the the screensaver hack is not working for the Sprint version of K2. There is a report that the hack for the International K2 *is* working.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #236
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
weird, wonder what the difference is (Other than the radio or course, LOL)
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #237
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilker View Post
weird, wonder what the difference is (Other than the radio or course, LOL)
I don't know, all that stuff is way over my head. Maybe it can be adapted for use with the Sprint version.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #238
bdnewman
bdnewman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, sony 700
don't install this upgrade if you want to keep using your own pictures. the hack no longer works. I have dead people staring at me again :-(

Bryan
bdnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #239
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnewman View Post
don't install this upgrade if you want to keep using your own pictures. the hack no longer works. I have dead people staring at me again :-(

Bryan
The hack has been updated and it works for all Kindle versions! Check out this thread.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #240
thegoodguy
thegoodguy began at the beginning.

Device: knidle 2
Many many thanks Clarknova. I now have custom screensavers on my Kindle 2
thegoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote