Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
cinnagingercat
cinnagingercat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Kindle 4 NT: No SSH

I have a new $69 Kindle 4 NT, but it does not appear to have an SSH daemon running in diagnostics mode when using USB networking. After connecting via USB, ssh reports that the connection was refused, and nmap reports that all 1000 ports are closed.

I've set it up to execute "RUNME.sh" on boot.
Is there any way I can add SSH support?

Serial Prefix: B023
Diagnostics Version: Tequila 1.0.6.210
Firmware: 4.1.0
cinnagingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@cinnagingercat: Someone with a 2011 K4 needs to confirm that the diags part was updated, but it looks like they did (and killed SSH in the process).

That's not good for your chances of (easily) jailbreaking this thing...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That's not good for your chances of (easily) jailbreaking this thing...
If we need to, a K4 could use the same method as a K5. Flash a diags image that has SSH pre-installed.

Or use another jailbreak method (like my "secret" one for K4/K5) that probably still works. It can even push a reverse shell without modifying anything on the kindle. Do we really need it yet?

And the K5 ".stgz" method might work on the K4 now too.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@geekmaster: Yup, what I thought (hence my hastily edited in '(easily)' ^^) too...

Though before finding out what can/can't be done, we'd need to:

* make sure it's really an updated diags part
* have a dump of said updated diags part
Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
cinnagingercat

I've made some progress. I was able to install the Dropbear binaries from Yifan Lu's Simple USBNet hack for the Kindle Touch onto the main partition, generate a host key, and edit iptables to allow access to port 22 over WiFi using a shell script. I still have to figure out how to start the Dropbear server.
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@cinnagingercat: Errm. Wait, what? How, from where?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnagingercat View Post
I have a new $69 Kindle 4 NT, but it does not appear to have an SSH daemon running in diagnostics mode when using USB networking. After connecting via USB, ssh reports that the connection was refused, and nmap reports that all 1000 ports are closed.

I've set it up to execute "RUNME.sh" on boot.
Is there any way I can add SSH support?

Serial Prefix: B023
Diagnostics Version: Tequila 1.0.6.210
Firmware: 4.1.0
If RUNME.sh runs, it can install the missing dropbear files by extracting them from a .tar.gz file...
Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
on my new grey kindle (arrived as a replacement from amazon today, but behaves identically to my older one, serial starts B00E, jailbroke it this morning), the tequila version is 1.0.6.194.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
cinnagingercat

After adding an init.d script and symlinking it to rc.d, I now have SSH access over WiFi. Now I just need to manually jailbreak it and install the rest of the USB network utilities.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@cinnagingercat: Okay, basically, everything works as usual, except no SSH on diags :?.

Stupid question: In this case, why not use the jailbreak (the usual long method, for FW 4.1), and then the usbnet package?

EDIT²: Which I'd probably have to repack (usbnet package) to handle the new K4 device code, but, heh, still.

EDIT^3: The packages have been repacked. They should appear/install/work on the new K4 now .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-12-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
cinnagingercat

Quote:
@cinnagingercat: Okay, basically, everything works as usual, except no SSH on diags :?.

Stupid question: In this case, why not use the jailbreak (the usual long method, for FW 4.1), and then the usbnet package?

EDIT²: Which I'd probably have to repack (usbnet package) to handle the new K4 device code, but, heh, still.

EDIT^3: The packages have been repacked. They should appear/install/work on the new K4 now .
The usbnet package works now, thanks. Everything works, just no SSH in diagnostics. When I used the jailbreak, the "You are Jailbroken" file never appeared, so I wasn't sure if it worked, and as I couldn't get shell access through diagnostics mode, I couldn't check the keys (I guess I could have copied the key file to /mnt/us but didn't think of it at the time). Since the usbnet package didn't work either, I decided there might be changes. As I have Linux terminal experience, I figured out how to get shell access the hard way. At least I now have a much better understanding of the Kindle's file system.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@cinnagingercat: Thanks for the clarification .

And confirming that I didn't break everything when repacking the usbnet K4 package ^^.

Not sure why the 'You are Jailbroken' 'book' would fail to appear, though, but then, I don't have a K4, so, who knows ;D.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
Mantis
Mantis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (Black Edition)
I have the new black version of the Kindle 4 which was released in the UK a couple of days back. Although it comes without ads, I wanted to flash it so that I could add custom screensavers which would be nice. I can get into the Tequila dev menu, and apparently (according to the non-dev settings) I am running 4.1.0. I also get a refused connection. I'm not very knowledgeable on Unix but I have used Putty before.

So I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm guessing it's what has been stated in this thread previously. I think I might back down since there's no clear tutorial for my situation, and custom screensavers aren't worth a brick.

Edit: Okay, I can see a different thread for screensavers without jailbreak needed. We have a problem, though. I can't exit diagnostic mode. Every time I try or try to reboot, it appears to be doing so but always takes me back to this damn diag screen.

Last edited by Mantis; 09-13-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Mantis:

Quote:
Replace usbnet by the ss hack and you should be fine .
Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
I can't exit diagnostic mode. Every time I try or try to reboot, it appears to be doing so but always takes me back to this damn diag screen.
Try running the first diag on the main screen, to create missing folder and file needed for the "disable diags" menu item to work.