Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
timbgray
timbgray began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre & iPad
Problem loading epub fmt book to iPhone

I'm using the caliber server to load an epub format book to the stanza iphone reader. After the book is loaded this is what the first page of text looks like:

subsequent pages are blank until about half way into the book when the pages start to display and operate normally:

Happens for any book I load in epub format. The book loads this way from either calibre or stanza.

For books in either RFT or both RFT and epub, when testing the calibre server all books in the calibre library are shown, but when I try to load a book from stanza using the calibre online catalog, only epub books are available for download.

timbgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Only epub books are available because that's the format stanza supports. As for the weird rendering, that's probably because the content of the books is in tables or some other non-reflowable elemnt. Try using the linearize tables option when creating the epub files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
timbgray

Thanks, enabled linearize tables, but same formatting issue. I used the Stanza convert to epub and that works fine, but it would be easier if I could do everything from Calibre.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I have noticed that ePub files converted by Calibre from RTF format only show the first page of the document when viewed on Stanza on the iPhone. They show up fine on Stanza desktop, and within Calibre itself. I am wondering if its an issue with Stanza's iPhone reader-others have noticed it on Stanza's forum.

I now just re-save my RTFs as HTML before loading them into Calibre.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
timbgray

The problem is that html files don't display in the Stanza/calibre Online Catalog, apparently only epub's do. Converting the RFT to HTML then to EPUB and then loading on the iPhone gives a file that does read properly, but that seems like a strange way to get a readable file.

In any event I hope the issue is strictly academic since I'm going shopping for a sony e-reader this afternoon. I proved that the iPhone experience is "OK" and I've read half dozen books on the iPhone, but I'd really like a bit larger screen. I'll see what the difference between the 5" non touch and 6" touch screens looks like. I know the previous touch screen was less than ideal.
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbgray View Post
The problem is that html files don't display in the Stanza/calibre Online Catalog, apparently only epub's do. Converting the RFT to HTML then to EPUB and then loading on the iPhone gives a file that does read properly, but that seems like a strange way to get a readable file.
That is not unreasonable as Stanza cannot handle HTML files, and Epub is its officially supported format.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote