Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Cathy W
Cathy W began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
E-bookshops

Hi all,

Please ignore my ignorance but I'm not very computer savvy. I have ordered a BeBook (Hanlin V3) and although there are loads of formats that the Bebook can read, I would like to know exactly what formats I can download from the e-bookshops. For example, could I download books from the Books on Board website that are pdf?
Cathy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy W View Post
Hi all,

Please ignore my ignorance but I'm not very computer savvy. I have ordered a BeBook (Hanlin V3) and although there are loads of formats that the Bebook can read, I would like to know exactly what formats I can download from the e-bookshops. For example, could I download books from the Books on Board website that are pdf?
Unlikely. If you want DRM plagued data, though, then it looks like the solution is mobi format as the developers anounced support shortly.
There is also the .lit option but it doesn't work out of the box exactly...
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Cathy W

So, are you saying that I won't be able to download contemporary books until this Mobi software is available on the Bebook? What is the .lit option and where can I find downloads in this format?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
So, are you saying that I won't be able to download contemporary books until this Mobi software is available on the Bebook? What is the .lit option and where can I find downloads in this format?
According to BeBook nonDRM lit is a supported format. So, you could by MS Reader (LIT) eBooks from Fictionwise/Booksonboard etc. However, you would have to use ConvertLIT to remove the DRM prior to being able to read them on your device.

That said, Hanlin/BeBook is said that Mobi with DRM support is soon to be released. In this case you would be able to buy Mobipocket ebooks from the above mentioned stores and read them without any cracking or convertion.

Hth,

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So, are you saying that I won't be able to download contemporary books until this Mobi software is available on the Bebook?
Most contemporary ebooks have DRM (encryption). One of the most popular formats is MobiPocket (MOBI), and BeBook has announced support for Secure (DRMed) MOBI. However, it isn't available yet. On EInk devices, MobiPocket wants DRM exclusivity, so other popular Secure ebook types won't be supported on the BeBook.

A popular alternative has been to buy Secure MS Reader ebooks (LIT) and crack the DRM using ConvertLIT. DRM-free LIT is very easy to format shift to other ebook formats, and is in any case readable directly on the BeBook. The only limitation to this approach is that you need a Windows PC to buy Secure LIT ebooks.

Note that the DRM on MOBI and eReader ebooks is also crackable, but LIT is the 1st choice for format shifters.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Cathy W

Thanks for your responses - really helpful. So, if I wanted to use ConvertLit and download MS Reader books from the bookshops, I would not be able to do it on a Mac?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, if I wanted to use ConvertLit and download MS Reader books from the bookshops, I would not be able to do it on a Mac?
ConvertLIT works on a Mac (you just need the key file from your Windows PC), but you can't buy Secure LIT ebooks except using Explorer from a Windows PC with an authorized version of MS Reader.

Given that MOBI support is days away (Hanlin supports Mobi now?), I suggest sticking with MOBI. Its DRM can also be cracked, using mobidedrm, so you won't be stuck with unreadable ebooks if the BeBooks's Secure MOBI support isn't good enough. With MOBI, you can register the "PID" of up to 4 devices per ebook. You can't register the PID of a Mac (since there is no Reader for the Mac), so you may have to wait for the Secure MOBI support on the BeBook to get a usable PID (or register the PID from any Windows computer you have access to). The actual ebooks can be downloaded with any web browser on any computer.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
Cathy W

Thanks for that - I just wish the Mobi support comes soon. I'm not bothered about reading the books on the Mac - I just want to transfer them onto the Bebook.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your responses - really helpful. So, if I wanted to use ConvertLit and download MS Reader books from the bookshops, I would not be able to do it on a Mac?
The simple answer to this is yes, you are NOT able to download a DRM protected LIT file using a Mac.

I'm sure someone here will say that if you are running a Windows VM using one of the many tools to do so on your Mac then you can do the above. So, I just wanted to add that here.

BOb
Old 09-08-2008, 06:02 AM   #10
Cathy W

Unhappy

Thanks PilotBob - I am beginning to regret ordering an ereader now that there are so many restrictions on what I can buy to put on it, simply because I have a Mac. I moved to the Mac because it offered simplicity and a multi-format e-reader for the same reason. Now, it seems that I have made a big mistake.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks PilotBob - I am beginning to regret ordering an ereader now that there are so many restrictions on what I can buy to put on it, simply because I have a Mac. I moved to the Mac because it offered simplicity and a multi-format e-reader for the same reason. Now, it seems that I have made a big mistake.
Well... once BeBook supports mobipocket you won't have a problem any more. Also, if you are in the US the Kindle is a great device for Mac users because you really don't need to connect it to a PC at all thanks to Whispernet.

BOb
Old 09-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
Cathy W

Alas, I am in the UK so cannot access the Amazon ebooks...
Old 09-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Alas, I am in the UK so cannot access the Amazon ebooks...
Not only do you have to have a US credit card registered to a US Address, but you also have to own a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
BooksOnBoard
BooksOnBoard began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi Cathy,

Hopefully this information helps clear up some of the questions about MobiPocket, BooksOnBoard, and Mac users that you mentioned.

1) Both the DRM and the non-DRM MobiPocket format eBooks from BooksOnBoard can now be read on the BeBook. We have now updated our Format Help Chart (http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=formats) to reflect that fact that BooksOnBoard's MobiPocket eBooks now are supported by the BeBook.

2) While Macintosh users cannot download the MobiPocket Reader software to their computers, they CAN download any of our MobiPocket eBooks to their computer and then transfer the file to their BeBook through the USB connection.

MobiPocket software does not have to be on your computer in order to download the MobiPocket eBook file, the software only has to be on any device or computer on which you want to read the eBook. DRM copyrighted MobiPocket eBooks will be encrypted at download to be readable on only the devices whose PIDs are currently registered under your MobiPocket Device Controls. If you have any other computers or devices besides the BeBook on which you will be reading MobiPocket eBooks, make sure to also register their PIDs before you download your eBook. If you forget to register a PID, you can always add it later and then re-download your eBook from your account's Bookshelf.

2) Another question we have seen from readers is about the difference between the MobiPocket (PX) and MobiPocket (OD) label on the BooksOnBoard website.

BooksOnBoard carries MobiPocket eBooks from two distribution sources. The (PX) and (OD) label on our MobiPocket eBooks represent our two distribution sources for MobiPocket eBooks. We offer both so that we can provide more selection of MobiPocket eBooks and as back-up for our customers in the event of any temporary server problems at one of the distributors. Some books are only available from one of the two distributors.

The only difference for the customer is this requires our customers to register their PIDs under BOTH distributors (OD and PX) in their BooksOnBoard account's MobiPocket Device Controls. A tutorial on registering your PIDs can be found here: http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...view&TUT_ID=13

For more information on MobiPocket eBooks, click the "MobiPocket Format eBooks" link on our help page: http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=help

Our customer support is also available to answer any questions seven days a week at support@booksonboard.com

Happy Reading!

Sincerely,

The BooksOnBoard Support Team
BooksOnBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksOnBoard View Post
We have now updated our Format Help Chart (http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=formats) to reflect that fact that BooksOnBoard's MobiPocket eBooks now are supported by the BeBook.
So far as I know, Secure MOBI is now available on all variants of the Hanlin V3. It is in the generic Hanlin FirmWare, and is definitely on the EZ Reader (US version of the V3). I suggest changing your chart to say:

Compatible Devices: Hanlin V3 (BeBook, EZ Reader, etcetera)
Non-Compatible Devices: Hanlin V2 and V8

My Secure MobiPocket ebooks post in the Mobiebook Support Forum goes into the details. The only slightly tricky part is that you need the Beta Windows MobiPocket Reader for the Hanlin's to be recognized as MOBI devices (and added to the device list).