Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
iRex Battery replacement program finally moving into action?

After hearing the typical "soon" from iRex for quite some time it appears that we are getting one step closer to actually getting our Iliad Batteries upgraded to V2 standard.
I just received an email from iRex asking for my details so they can send me the box for shipping my Iliad back for the Battery-Upgrade.

Let's see how long it actually takes...

Has anyone else got this email yet?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
nreuter
nreuter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H²O
Got my notification today at 15:41 ... finally.
nreuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Blue
Connoisseur
Blue is on a distinguished road

I was on the phone with support today concerning a repair and they mentioned something about finally starting with the battery replacement program.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I had my display replaced late last month (I dropped the mobile phone on it, which wasn't a good idea) and I thought the battery was being upgraded at the same time, but I got the e-mail on the battery today. I'm checking because I hope the screen and battery were done at the same time.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Hmm, still haven't gotten anything.

Maybe it's because I noted that I wanted the upgraded backplane as well?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
kusmi
Connoisseur
kusmi began at the beginning.

@Adam

Same for me: Have not received anything yet - I'm also going for the upgraded backplane
kusmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Has anyone else got this email yet?
Yup. Arrived this morning.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

It seems that only the batteries are ready for now. Let's see when the case-upgrades start rolling in.

Now I'll have to continue reading, otherwise I won't be able to finish the book before the box from iRex arrives...
Old 02-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
watcha
Not so junior!
watcha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
Excuse my ignorance, but why is there a battery replacement program? Will my six-month-old Iliad need one? It lasts well enough for me.
And then what on earth is an 'upgraded backplane'?
watcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
I have received the email aswell. I did their instructions interesting tho: they say we should include ALL of the accessories when we send the box. Is it just me that thinks that they are not only replacing the battery, but sending an upgraded unit (i specified i wanted the battery upgrade only)?
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcha View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but why is there a battery replacement program? Will my six-month-old Iliad need one? It lasts well enough for me.
And then what on earth is an 'upgraded backplane'?
You probably have a V2, see ER0100 vs ER0140?, and the (free) battery replacement is for V1's bought before 15 March 2007. The V2 has the new case back which is also offered as a replacement for the V1. See iLiad Battery Upgrade - updated information.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #12
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

My Iliad return box is on it's way. I got the confirmation and the tracking number. I'd say it should be here tuesday.

I'll keep you posted...

UPDATE: My box arrived today, but I was at work, so I'll get it tomorrow.

UPDATE2: UPS came again this afternoon and delivered the box. Nice service...
The box contains something that looks a lot like the inside of the Iliad original box. The instructions provided by iRex are easy to understand and quite thorough, making misunderstandings and mistakes almost impossible. Everything fits nicely into the box.
I packed my Iliad and called UPS (numbers for UPS in all countries supplied by iRex on an A4 sheet in the box!!!), they'll come sometime tomorrow to pick up my Iliad.

So far this whole process has been extremely smooth, nothing compared to the chaotic procedures iRex had in place when the Iliad first appearedin 2006...
I hope it won't take too long for my Iliad to get back to me...I've already decided that I might have to buy a paper book to distract myself while my Iliad is gone...
At least I managed to finish the "Gemma Doyle Trilogy" by Libba Bray before I had to give away my Iliad...

UPDATE3: UPS just picked up my Iliad. Now i'll be counting the hours until I get it back...
Anyone else seen progress yet?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I just received the notification email telling me to buy a service ticket from the iRex shop for the upgraded backplane. I did so and sent them an email back. Hopefully the turnaround is pretty quick... Although, I've never had a problem with iRex's support in the past.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #14
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I just got my email today. The problem is how long is this going to take?

Depending on how long I might have to wait I will possibly have to purchase a Sony Reader to use on the job.

With the firmware updates being reduced to slower than a snail's pace, a battery issue that has taken close to a year to address, I cannot tell you how overwhelmingly disappointing that the iLiad has been. I have had this thing for close to 2 years - a veritable lifetime for electonic devices. Improvements have been so marginally incremental it's just flat out ridiculous. Other than the gee whiz factor, the iLiad & iRex are really just a very large (and expensive) joke.

The only things I would need improved on the iLiad that would make me happy are basically only two things; native bookmark support in PDF's & a faster start up time. The bookmark support was "promised" when the device was first released.

The ereader device idea is still not even close to being ideal - there is NOTHING out there that is not in someway either crippled with DRM issues, small screens, document conversions & a myriad of other niggling problems. Who would have thought that this would be so hard?
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Now after sending the email all I get is "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender"

and it's not on my end - "This is the Postfix program at host mail2-new.vianetworks.nl." It's bouncing them because it thinks it's spam.

These guys are just the model of ineptitude!

Last edited by firekat; 02-13-2008 at 12:56 PM.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote