Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #61
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I just tried to download a sample of In the Court of the Sun. It looks like one that I want and it seems to be different from the usual. Only comes in eReader format, unfortunately. I'm heading to Books on Board to see if I can find this book now.

I wish my Sony could read eReader. It is my preferred format for reading on the PC, due to it just looks so good and is easy on my eyes. However, I'm sure that if the Sony could use it, it would just end up being another plain text looking thing.

EDIT: It isn't at BoB. Does anyone know where I can get it in ePub?
You could download it in eReader at Fictionwise (or eReader.com or B&N), strip it of its DRMs and convert it...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #62
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Not sure if that's sarcasm or not, but aren't all three owned by B&N? So it's really more like 3 interfaces to what will eventually be the same shop. Whether or not they keep prices consistent across all 3 sites is another story (some places intentionally don't do this in order to give the illusion of competition).
While I do often make sarcastic remarks this was not one of them.

I am aware that all three companies are owned by B&N, but each have different promotions and prices. eReader has the same $9.95 price for best sellers as B&N but eReader.com and caps of ALL books at $12.95. The real drawback is I don't like the eReader format it is just terrible for the type of books I buy. And for the leisure book reading they are overpriced.

FW has rebates and great sales and sells better formats

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
While I do often make sarcastic remarks this was not one of them.

I am aware that all three companies are owned by B&N, but each have different promotions and prices. eReader has the same $9.95 price for best sellers as B&N but eReader.com and caps of ALL books at $12.95. The real drawback is I don't like the eReader format it is just terrible for the type of books I buy. And for the leisure book reading they are overpriced.

FW has rebates and great sales and sells better formats

=X=
FW does not sell DRMed eBooks in ePUb. So that is where BooksOnBoard wins out big time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #64
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I just tried to download a sample of In the Court of the Sun. It isn't at BoB. Does anyone know where I can get it in ePub?
Do you mean In The Courts Of The Sun by Brian D'amato? BoB has in in ePub, but it is expensive everywhere except B&N ($14.99) and ereader.com ($12.95 plus 15% discount: $11.00) - both in eReader format.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #65
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just tried to download a sample of In the Court of the Sun. It looks like one that I want and it seems to be different from the usual. Only comes in eReader format, unfortunately. I'm heading to Books on Board to see if I can find this book now.

I wish my Sony could read eReader. It is my preferred format for reading on the PC, due to it just looks so good and is easy on my eyes. However, I'm sure that if the Sony could use it, it would just end up being another plain text looking thing.

EDIT: It isn't at BoB. Does anyone know where I can get it in ePub?
I did find it at BoB with ePUB here is the link but at BoB its $26

@Gideon I did find Black Hills at B&N here is the link also BoB does have Outliers

Where you using the ebookprice.info web site? I've found its not a very accurate tool just yet. A great tool to start but I always find myself having to validate some searches directly to the site.

I did not retry your whole list but of the 4 I tried 2 had where incorrect, just a FYI

Last edited by =X=; 07-21-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Added more infor for gideon
Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #66
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
FW does not sell DRMed eBooks in ePUb. So that is where BooksOnBoard wins out big time.
Truthfully I still prefer MOBI/LIT over ePUB. But I don't consider MOBI a better format just more convenient.

=X=
Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #67
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I expect, eventually eReader / FictionWise will be rolled up into a unified B&N store. That is how business mergers work. I know, I've been involved in enough of them. It just doesn't make good business sense to run all those web stores as separate properties.
I'm not sure... eReader.com and Fictionwise.com are still separate sites, although the customer accounts are linked.
The best way to know is to ask the people who know : I've asked B&N about this, and here is their reply.

My question:

Quote:
Hi,

I'm a Fictionwise customer (have been for a long time) and I have a lot of books in my Fictionwise bookshelf.

B&N bought Fictionwise, and now you have a e-shop for e-books, with a bookshelf, just as them.

Will I be able to access my Fictionwise ebooks in B&N bookshelf, just as they did when they bought eReader ?

Cheers,
David.
Their answer:

Quote:
Thank you for your email.

Although (Fictionwise/eReader.com) is a Barnes & Noble company, they maintain separate download and customer service procedures.

For problems or questions regarding your purchase from (Fictionwise/eReader.com), please contact them directly at:

(Fictionwise Link) http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=support

(eReader link) http://www.ereader.com/servlet/mw?t=help&si=59

We hope you find this information helpful.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX
Customer Service Representative
Barnes and Noble
http://www.bn.com/
Hope this helps !
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #68
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Actually I used all their own websites... I don't know if Black Hills was available yesterday at B&N, but I wouldn't be surprised if I missed some FW or BoB material - both of their websites were behaving poorly for most of the search. FW, in particular, was behaving so poorly I almost gave up including them in the results.

I'll update the list, though. Thanks for the find!

Last edited by Gideon; 07-21-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #69
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the link! I think maybe I'll wait a week or so until the price comes down.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #70
ejereader
ejereader began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Hm. The article I read specifically said that B&N's ebooks would not work on the Sony or the Kindle.

I'll have to check that out (it wouldn't be the first time an article had it wrong).

EDIT: Checked it out - they only support iPhone/Touch, PC and Mac.

It's the old eReader format, apparently, NOT ePub.

Where did you get your information?
"Barnes & Noble’s e-book store will support the EPub format that has also been adopted by Sony. Yet Barnes & Noble’s e-bookstore won’t be accessible by Sony Reader, the company said. Amazon Kindle users, also, won’t be able to download books from Barnes & Noble’s e-book store."

From: from New Barnes & Noble E-book Store to Power Plastic Logic Reader

* By Priya Ganapati Email Author
* July 20, 2009

Wired Gadget Lab
ejereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #71
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejereader View Post
"Barnes & Noble’s e-book store will support the EPub format that has also been adopted by Sony. Yet Barnes & Noble’s e-bookstore won’t be accessible by Sony Reader, the company said. Amazon Kindle users, also, won’t be able to download books from Barnes & Noble’s e-book store."
Does this mean Sony can't access the website via the Sony program, and Amazon can't access the website via the Kindle?

If the Sony can READ the format, then it still can? Or will the format be DRM'd in such a way that only the Logic can read it? The same with the Kindle and Mobi?
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #72
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I hope they don't merge. I am in Canada and can't use the B&N site. I think these ebook stores really need to start understanding that not everyone lives in the USA.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #73
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejereader View Post
Barnes & Noble’s e-book store will support the EPub format
This is apparently the same intent expressed earlier by FictionWise that eReader will migrate to ePub over the next year or so. This will presumably be ePub with eReader DRM, and so the B&N DRMed ePubs won't work in Adobe Digital Editions (e.g on the Sony Readers and soon on many other EInk devices).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #74
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is apparently the same intent expressed earlier by FictionWise that eReader will migrate to ePub over the next year or so. This will presumably be ePub with eReader DRM, and so the B&N DRMed ePubs won't work in Adobe Digital Editions (e.g on the Sony Readers and soon on many other EInk devices).

Hmmmmm, that would be kind of nice. The Adobe monopoly on DRM for an open standard EPUB is not a good thing, IMHO. Especially since Adobe DRM is device based instead of person based like eReader DRM. Even better, would be publishers realizing that DRM is a major hurdle for expanding the usability of electronic reading for the more technically challenged public. I have a friend who is an avid reader, but he has had a lot of frustration with DRM on his PC ADE reader. I suspect that people in his situation far out number the number of people who find DRM a glitch free experience.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #75
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I hope they don't merge. I am in Canada and can't use the B&N site. I think these ebook stores really need to start understanding that not everyone lives in the USA.
Lol! I agree.
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote