Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Is Mystery/Thriller meant to be seperate from Mystery/Crime which has already been nominated?...
Yes, Mystery/Thriller is a different nomination.

I'm not sure, maybe it'll be altered, but it looked like the other one was just "Crime".
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #17
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Yes, Mystery/Thriller is a different nomination.

I'm not sure, maybe it'll be altered, but it looked like the other one was just "Crime".
That's why I'm asking. To clarify that the nomination is "just" Crime.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess we'll find out. That's why I nominated Mystery/Thriller separately though.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
As I was the one who made the confusion: what is the difference between crime, mystery/crime and mystery/thriller according to the rules of this book club? Could you perhaps name one book that fits every category best or describe where they don't overlap? Many thanks.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
As I was the one who made the confusion: what is the difference between crime, mystery/crime and mystery/thriller according to the rules of this book club? Could you perhaps name one book that fits every category best or describe where they don't overlap? Many thanks.
There are no rules on it. It's only a matter of perception and your guess is as good as ours! Whichever one or ones do make it, I suppose it'll be up to the book nom process to sort it out.

Last year we had two categories of Mystery/Crime and Thriller/Suspense, and they pretty much had almost the exact same kind of nominations. We have some great new category noms and if new ones are going to make it (and one already has) then some old categories have to be combined or eliminated, so to me, making a combined category of Mystery/Thriller is a great option.
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To me: Crime alone would be heavier on the crime drama; proceedural type. Mystery/Thriller would be heavier on the suspense, and Mystery/Crime would be an equal mix.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I nominated "crime" because I think it's not the same as "mystery". "Thriller" could probably be combined with either.
But it's no big deal to me if we somehow combine the three! Or not...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I nominate Classics and second Biographies/Memoirs and Mysteries/Crime.

Edit: Ups, sorry medard. I see I thirded these two categories.
Mysteries & Crime could be considered separate categories, but since no one's nominated Mysteries, I'll add your vote to that category.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #24
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I've nothing to say about this ..

Spoiler:
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #25
Nyssa
Series Addict

Tom,

Science Fiction & Classics have both been fully nominated.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I second philosophy!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I nominated "crime" because I think it's not the same as "mystery". "Thriller" could probably be combined with either.
But it's no big deal to me if we somehow combine the three! Or not...
"not the same as mystery" is not a description. If no one provides a useable distinction, I would like to see them combined.

I will strategically third Fantasy for reasons laid out in the March selection thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Excellent! Humour is a meh category, so we should move Fantasy up to April to clear the decks for Mystery for May™. [April] Fools and Fantasy work well together.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #28
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Tom,

Science Fiction & Classics have both been fully nominated.
Ah, you updated as I was posting.

Oh, you can take "none yet" out the next time you edit.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Ah, you updated as I was posting.

Oh, you can take "none yet" out the next time you edit.

I third non-fiction.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #30
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I second philosophy!
Thank you, Sir!
medard is offline   Reply With Quote