Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #46
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
We might have a launch time -- 10 AM San Francisco / 6 PM London

Apple's iOS 6 set for 10 a.m. PT launch, leaked image claims
Heaven forbid that Silly Con Valley types have to roll out of bed before 9:00am!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Heaven forbid that Silly Con Valley types have to roll out of bed before 9:00am!
LOL
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #48
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
It's up. My iPhone 4 and iPad 3 are downloading it now.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #49
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Yeah, I'm downloading as well..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #50
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Why waste my time when all 5 devices have had the same issue? The issue is not a BAD battery, the issue is Apple lies about battery charge longevity.
If it has happened to you with multiple devices (and if I recall correctly a battery addon that wasn't made by Apple), but not to other people, maybe it is you?
Do you live in particularly hot or cold temperatures?
Personally one one occasion I got around 12 hours use out of my iPad 1, reading at lowest brightness, but only about 6 hours of use streaming video at max brightness using Bluetooth headphones. So that seems like the extreme range I would get when using it.
ISTR that most review of the iPad found battery life greater than that claimed by Apple.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #51
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Until now, I have been getting a full day out of my 3GS iphone (i dont make phonecalls but I'm reading, texting and otherwise interacting with it most of the day). I'll be interested to see how it goes, now I have updated to iOS6 without fear of losing Stanza.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #52
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I have it iOS6 on my iPad, and iPhone. Living here in Japan the Apple Maps is very disappointing, a huge difference to the google one! I am not happy, its a very very poor very basic one! No traffic info etc
yeh just very very basic

I suppose they will update it in time but first impressions are disappointing for me as I drive a lot and I used Google maps a lot and the app was very convenient and useful
I hope google realse a Map app
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #53
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just read where Apple is now using TomTom maps. Yuk! Google is tons better. TomTom has never progressed beyond sucky. Some reviewers/fanboys are raving about turn instructions. BF deal! Only an idiot would use their iPhone to navigate. If you want to do it right buy a dedicated device from Garmin. Garmin has been doing it right for over two decades, and they use a real GPS radio. Apple doesn't know squat about maps or navigating, they only know how to attempt to force us to use THEIR fricking stuff. I see no reason to upgrade my iPad.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #54
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
In the meantime, just access maps.google.com in safari and create a link on the desktop. It works well.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've definitely decided to forgo iOS 6 at this time. I'll reevaluate my decision in the near future. Two of the major features being touted are pointless for the iPt4. Without GPS, maps are worthless; and Siri is nonexistent.

As to the iPt5, I'm definitely not upgrading. RAM is only 512MB, it lacks GPS, and the entry level model is priced too high ($299).
Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #56
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
My iOS 6 upgrade experience was a mixed bag. The iPad 3 updated without a hitch, but the iPhone 4 really tried my patience. Tried OTA three times, only to have the download terminate each time just prior to completion. So I hooked it up to iTunes and did it that way. This time, just before completion, it told me the download was "corrupted", and stopped, leaving my iPhone trapped in recovery mode. So I had to restore it to factory settings, and the first two times I restored it, it just returned immediately to recovery mode. At this point, I was really pissed off, having spent about three hours waiting for it, and now possessing a fancy paperweight. But the third time I restored it, it came back to life, and, miraculously, now had iOS 6. What it didn't have was any of my apps, which I had to re-install. It also gave me fits connecting to wifi networks after the update. It finally seemed to get its act together this morning, and seems to be okay. In terms of the OS, meh. Not really noticing much to write home about at this point. Siri on the iPad is neat, but, ultimately, not really all that useful. And since I have the lowly iPhone 4, no Siri for me.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #57
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just done downloading it in my iPhone!
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #58
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Updated my iPod last night. Tried to do it OTA, but the update failed repeatedly (it downloaded, but would fail at verifying every time). Used a USB connection and iTunes (which I had to update to 10.7) and everything upgraded fine. Interestingly the upgrade download was 300MB larger through iTunes than it was OTA, which perhaps accounts for the problem???

Everything seems to be working fine for the most part. Things seem to run a bit smoother and faster, but that could just be a perception thing, otherwise I don't really see any difference except I had to download Google's YouTube app. My nephew's "Monster Life" app doesn't work, just starts and goes back to the iPod's home screen. The Audible app works fine which is the main thing I care about.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-20-2012 at 10:04 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #59
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Some reviewers/fanboys are raving about turn instructions. BF deal!
It is a BF deal to many people. Just because you don't use it, doesn't mean anybody else doesn't.
Quote:
Only an idiot would use their iPhone to navigate.
Now that is just trolling at the top level.
Quote:
If you want to do it right buy a dedicated device from Garmin. Garmin has been doing it right for over two decades, and they use a real GPS radio.
So does the iPhone.
Quote:
Apple doesn't know squat about maps or navigating, they only know how to attempt to force us to use THEIR fricking stuff.
No one is forcing you to upgrade. And no, Apple didn't know much about maps, which is why they bought professional companies instead.

While I do agree this roll out was too early when it comes to the satellite imagery, it is an easy thing to upgrade server side, and I'm sure it will happen ASAP due to all the complaints. The vector based parts of the maps are excellent, and a big improvement over the Google app.
Quote:
I see no reason to upgrade my iPad.
Why didn't you buy a paper map, if the map application is the only thing you use on your iPad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I've definitely decided to forgo iOS 6 at this time. I'll reevaluate my decision in the near future. Two of the major features being touted are pointless for the iPt4. Without GPS, maps are worthless; and Siri is nonexistent.
Passbook is quite nice when apps start taking advantage of it.

Quote:
As to the iPt5, I'm definitely not upgrading. RAM is only 512MB, it lacks GPS, and the entry level model is priced too high ($299).
My iPad 2 runs iOS6 just as fine as iOS5, and it also has 512 MB RAM.

My iPad 2 and iPhone 4S updated without problems, and I haven't had any bad experiences so far, albeit only running for 8 hours now. Battery life seems to have improved on my iPhone though, but it is probably too early to tell.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #60
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Passbook is quite nice when apps start taking advantage of it.

My iPad 2 runs iOS6 just as fine as iOS5, and it also has 512 MB RAM.
Passbook is a waste for me. My iPt4 lacks too many features, so I don't take it anywhere. Instead, it stays at home sitting in a speaker dock; primarily used for its audio features.

Still, the lack of GPS and the high entry price ($299) immediately rule it out.