Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you donate money to unbrick a developer Iliad?
Yes, I'd be willing to donate 5€. 7 25.93%
Yes, I'd be willing to donate 10€. 16 59.26%
Yes, I'd be willing to donate more than 10€. 2 7.41%
No, I wouldn't want to donate anything. 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Donations for unbricking dev. Iliads?

Our developers here at the Forum have done a lot of work for the good of the community. As Scotty1024 pointed out, they are constantly walking the thin line between managing to get something done and risking a bricked Iliad.

With this Poll, I'd like to find out how many of us here would be willing to shell out some cash to help a developer who bricked his/her Iliad while trying to make it better for all of us...
As far as I know, the most expensive service package fro the Iliad is 75€. If enough people participate, this price could easily be paid through donations...or so I believe. With this kind of safety net, maybe one developer could try something he wouldn't dare otherwise and thus perhaps make a breakthrough discovery...who knows.
The exact terms for this whole deal would of course still have to be decided.

Thanks.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

looks good so far...:-)

How about some more concrete planning...how would you like to see this handled?
Wait for somebody to brick their Iliad and then just paypal the money there? Set up a "community account" where funds are pooled until needed (if they are ever needed)?

I'd also like to hear from arivero, antartica, design256, Scotty1024 and other developers what they think.

Thanks.
Advert
Old 11-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Don't worry about me, I'm thinking I may need to buy a second iLiad so I can see what iRex is doing to the poor thing with each update.

Speaking of which, if anyone has the raw patch file for iRex's [SHELL] hack I'd appreciate it if they could shoot it my way.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:41 AM   #4
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Speaking of which, if anyone has the raw patch file for iRex's [SHELL] hack I'd appreciate it if they could shoot it my way.
Would you be mad if it looked exactly like your SHELL patch? I could of course have done it several different ways, but yours looked like the quick and easy route.
I'd like to acknowledge you for writing it. Sorry about not asking permission, but I was in a hurry and you've not been responsive of my emails lately. If you disapprove, I'll change the package of course. Just let me know.

On-topic: please note that the offer of sending your device (at your cost) to iRex Headquaters in Eindhoven for de-bricking in this context still stands. We all hope that is not needed of course, but just so you know; it might be a tad cheaper than going via regular support channels.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:26 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Sorry Matthijs but all the pain and suffering in my email was drowning out the "We're still trying to figure out how to work with you"'s from Eindhoven.

And as you and CommanderROR both haven't figured out, its the pain and suffering of others that drives me more than any concerns about my own iLiad. I just shelled out $$ from my pocket because it had to be done for me to be legal in working up a non-RPN calculator for the iLiad. Many would have just said "Tough luck kid" and moved on to other things.

If the debate in Eindhoven is over please email me specifics.

Otherwise please entertain my offer: kernel tar ball and for your 5 minute investment you get:

A. Deniable bluetooth (if its broke you need to talk to Scotty not us)
B. sandman.sh and the modprobe to go with it.
C. Enhanced frame buffer perceptual dynamics.

And that's just in the first 2 weeks.

You can also invest a tar ball of poppler and get back some jaw dropping enhancements in page rendering speed and image quality.

You know the email address, just set the subject line to "OK, dazzle us."
Advert
Old 11-17-2006, 04:48 AM   #6
design256
Connoisseur
design256 doesn't litterdesign256 doesn't litter

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs
Would you be mad if it looked exactly like your SHELL patch? .
no, I wouldn't
design256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:04 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@scotty1024

I wish you all the luck with your requests...you're going to need it...:-)

As for the donation offer...it's nice to hear that you're not worried about your own account...but the offer was intended for all developers who might need to get an unbrick done...
Old 11-17-2006, 06:33 AM   #8
scotty1024
Banned

you asked for feedback and put my name on the list.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

sure...sorry.
I did include you in the list (because I thought you might be interested in the "offer") and your statement was fully justified...bit of an "almost misunderstanding" there...
Old 11-17-2006, 06:40 AM   #10
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by design256
no, I wouldn't
I think he was referring to my sed script for applying the hack.

Good to see you back, I was beginning to worry about you needing CommanderROR's pool money.

If you need any advice with applying the various iLiad hacks to gnuchess just drop me a PM. You've got a good start there but some people seem to be getting a bit anxious about how to get out of the app once they start it. I'm guessing they don't think its funny to have to slide the power switch.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:46 AM   #11
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I wish you all the luck with your requests...you're going to need it...:-)
I rate the odds as low as well, which is why I've been hacking away!

Sylpheed-Claws really wants a keyboard for those longer email responses.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #12
design256
Connoisseur
design256 doesn't litterdesign256 doesn't litter

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
I think he was referring to my sed script for applying the hack.

Good to see you back, I was beginning to worry about you needing CommanderROR's pool money.
Fortunately my Iliad is still in great health - but my job is keeping me busy around the clock so not much time for hacking. I've been trying to get Perl ported, but it's proving to be a bit of a pig...

I'm just the tiniest bit disappointed that my workaround for 2.8 won't be necessary now - but very glad also that they've finally accepted our requests and opened up shell access. Interested also to see that they've left it as root access. I wonder if this will continue post-2.8...

Quote:
If you need any advice with applying the various iLiad hacks to gnuchess just drop me a PM. You've got a good start there but some people seem to be getting a bit anxious about how to get out of the app once they start it. I'm guessing they don't think its funny to have to slide the power switch.
It's just a case of time once again... I promise to fix this before releasing anything else

As for unbricking, like Scotty, I consider that if I brick my Iliad, it's my own stupid fault. Perhaps there will come a time when one of us volunteers to test a particularly difficult community effort - and then it would be great to have a safety net.
design256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:56 AM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Something like "improved batery life through Suspend Mode..."

Old 11-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #14
scotty1024
Banned

Eindoven and I swapped email this morning.

I pretty sure I have the de-brick for developers thing figured out so developers can self de-brick with no trips to a developer system back at iRex HQ. We'll have to work out warranty issues as it involves opening the unit but will de-brick from any kind of software screw up and should be affordable for developers to purchase.

They supplied enough information to get me going full speed on Bluetooth kernel and poppler development. We'll see what turns up with Sandman (my code name for deep sleep.) I need more information, we'll see what they can supply.

Based on the information I got about Poppler I spent some $$$ this morning to buy a can of whoop ass and I'll be pouring it into poppler this weekend. PDF's are about to get much better on the iLiad.

By the way, I'm flattered that everyone wants them to hire me, and they'd hire me if they could. Unfortunately my feet are allergic to the wood they use to make the shoes over there.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Very interesting news.

I hope sandman will spare you, so you can work all night.

And i agree, you should not work for iRex. That would take all the fun out of it And then you would have to do what they want you to do.

And for the allergies, there are some very good homoeopathic drugs (are they called drugs?) available. And you will need those spacey shoes, when you have walked all the way from Washington to Eindhoven while reading on an iLiad with Sandman 1.0 running.

P.S.: I am very interested in that debricking option. Cant wait to hear more.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote