Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
So if a new Kindle is for sale...

So if a new Kindle is for sale in a few days and let's assume it's the things that have been described. Essentially a smoother form-factor, maybe a 16 shades of gray screen, more responsive refresh on non-reading activities but that's about it.. Same cost as now, no upgrade option.

How many of you Kindle owners will buy one right away? How many non-Kindle owners will? Why or why not?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm getting an EZ Reader. If I get a Kindle, it'll be in a couple of years when the dust settles at Amazon. Amazon's selection of titles is a huge temptation, and so are (most of) their prices on ebooks. But I need something that's more versatile in the formats it reads, with the least amount of conversion necessary. Eventually I would like to have a Kindle for the convenience factor of being able to buy instantly from Amazon. But for now...I can't wait to get my EZ Reader!

ETA: IF they release a new Kindle in a few days, even if it did my dishes and walked the dog (that I don't have) I'd still order the EZ Reader for now.

Last edited by phenomshel; 01-30-2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: to add
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
So if a new Kindle is for sale in a few days and let's assume it's the things that have been described. Essentially a smoother form-factor, maybe a 16 shades of gray screen, more responsive refresh on non-reading activities but that's about it.. Same cost as now, no upgrade option.

How many of you Kindle owners will buy one right away? How many non-Kindle owners will? Why or why not?
No way. See, here's the thing. I love my Kindle exactly the way it is. I've learned its little glitches, and how to work around them.

The screen is fine as is. I read books, mostly without illustrations, so all the different shades of gray mean nothing to me.

The response time is fine as is. I read, not speed read.

An even if, IF I say, the above were not true, spending another $349 for another Kindle because its 'new'? Wasteful.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I think it'd depend for me... I mean, if it was about the same price and had more than the above (bigger screen, for instance) I might upgrade. If it was a bit more expensive than the original model, there would probably be a very good secondary market on eBay for the original and you'd be able to get most your money back.

It'll really depend. But if they come out with a much bigger screen and more color depth without much price change I'm there.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I'm a new Kindle owner and while I don't think its perfect, it does everything I want it to (except it doesn't read other DRM'd format). I haven't seen anything that would justify the cost of upgrading..from Amazon leaks or anything other brand.

Of course, I had a black & white Palm Pilot for years...saw no need to upgrade it and didn't replace it until the Blackberry's came out.

(I'm actually relieved that there is no killer eReader out yet that tempts me as I bought my Kindle hoping to get 2 years out of it before upgrading.)

Last edited by Boston; 01-30-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I wouldn't buy it if it's another 6" device. If they introduced a large screen version, which I'm sure would be more money, I'd go for it. I like my current Kindle and the difference would have to be a lot bigger than what the currently available components would provide for me to upgrade after little more than a year. The main gripes I have with the current Kindle can be fixed in firmware. I'd like them to concentrate on that rather than new hardware.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I wouldn't buy it if it's another 6" device.
Same here.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Maybe this is the problem with our economy. People go out and buy new things when they have a perfectly workable one. And they do this when they can't even pay cash for it. Spending money won't help the economy. Actually saving money and reducing debt will. (I know this is a whole different topic.)

No, I won't but a new Kindle. My current one works perfectly fine so i will stick with it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #9
gdhaliwal23
gdhaliwal23 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm happy with my Kindle as is, no complaints.
gdhaliwal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I'll stick with my current kindle. Like desertgrandma, I have learned to live with the warts - I never accidentally turn pages anymore, and I know when to hit the button so that the page will be refreshed at exactly the right time. The only thing that might get me to buy a new device is if it worked with the kindle store and the public library. Even then, I doubt I will live long enough to read the books already on my kindle, especially if I keep adding them at the same rate!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:42 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:

I have three Kindles and would not purchase a Mark II unless it had a lot more to it than 16 gray scales. I am extremely happy with the Kindle as it is, the design works perfectly for me. So, they would have to do something amazing with the next iteration for me to purchase a fourth Kindle that was a Mark II.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:02 AM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I'll stick with my current kindle. Like desertgrandma, I have learned to live with the warts - I never accidentally turn pages anymore, and I know when to hit the button so that the page will be refreshed at exactly the right time. The only thing that might get me to buy a new device is if it worked with the kindle store and the public library. Even then, I doubt I will live long enough to read the books already on my kindle, especially if I keep adding them at the same rate!
I read Mobipocket library books on my Kindle. Sadly most of the books are ADE, especially the new releases. Still, I've found many good titles in .mobi format. You just need to either use Igor's scripts or strip the DRM (and cross your hear that you will not keep them past the the three week lending period). Sony will read the ADE books currently, but sadly I just don't find their feature set acceptable. I wouldn't mind if a 505 dropped in my lap but it's hard to justify the money and weight on the planet to actually buy one considering the numbers of library titles I want still isn't particularly overwhelming. And, heck, I live walking distance from a really huge library of paper books.

Just an aside on the page turning thing: My latest read is a fairly large .tpz book. About 950 pages. It wasn't available anywhere I could find in any other format. It's been driving me nuts because I now have an ingrained body memory for when to hit the button and this book is so much slower. I'd done a bunch of housecleaning right before I downloaded it, too. I was moving stuff off the internal memory to the SD card. I think the indexing slowed it down for days (yes, actual days) because for the first few days it was taking 4-5 seconds to turn a page. It made me stabby.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I will probably buy one, because as I have posted elsewhere, I love my Kindle and worry that something will happen to it and I will not be able to get another one quickly. I would literally be lost without it, that Kindle goes everywhere with me.

I'd like to have two so one can sit by my bedside and double as 'backup'...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really don't know why anyone is assuming that this press conference has anything to do with the Kindle. All we know is that Amazon are holding a press conference - the overwhelming majority of Amazon's business is completely unconnected with eBooks or the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:00 AM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Gideon, I'm a non-Kindle owner and plan to stay that way. Right now it wouldn't matter to me what improvements Amazon made to the hardware. Assuming Amazon made design improvements that I would otherwise like, I would consider buying a Kindle only if Amazon opens up the device to other formats and vendors. I am not in favor of supporting Amazon's attempts to be the 800-lb monkey of the publishing world (which is why I haven't bought any book from Amazon in more than 5 years).
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote