Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #31
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
To update them you'll need to re-download the books. I don't think there's a way to know for sure, but most books I've downloaded since K4PC started supporting KF8 came as a KF8 version (still a few older mobi's and some nasty Topaz).
Another way might be to download a sample (click the Product Description for each book to get to its product page and order a sample). KF8 has wider line spacing for some reason so it should look obviously different. No need to re-download if it is not KF8.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-12-2012 at 05:14 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #32
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I'd like to know what has changed with version 3.4. I just installed it and everything looks the same as with 3.3.
Amazon posted a list of changes on their site:

-Improved Font: We've improved the reading font to have more contrast and be more crisp.
-Parental Controls: With the latest software update for Kindle Keyboard, parents can restrict access to the Experimental Web Browser, the Kindle Store, and Archived Items. While the Kindle Store and Archived Items are locked with Parental Controls, you can continue to buy books from a computer and send them to the Kindle wirelessly for a child to read.
-Kindle Format 8: KF8 makes books look even better with support for author specified fonts and more book styling options.
-Comic Books: Kindle Keyboard now supports comic books with Kindle Panel View. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store. Books open in Kindle Panel View by default (a view that allows you to read a comic book panel by panel).
-Children's Picture Books: Kindle Keyboard supports children's picture books with Kindle Text Pop-Up. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store.
-Whispersync for Voice: Now you can switch back and forth between reading and listening without losing your place. Whispersync for Voice will synchronize what you read on any Kindle platform device with Audible playback on Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, or on Audible apps for iPhone and Android.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700

You might not necessarily notice these changes straight away, but the big three changes are the support for Kindle Format 8, Comic Books and Children's Picture Books. The changes that these three bring ensure that the Kindle Keyboard will remain compatible with future ebook releases (not just comic books and children's books).
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #33
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have a kindle three which is the same thing as a Kindle keyboard. Please let me know how to manually get the update. I still have version 3.3.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #34
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have a kindle three which is the same thing as a Kindle keyboard. Please let me know how to manually get the update. I still have version 3.3.
Just follow Amazon's instructions.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #35
babywin
babywin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Hi guys!
I'm wondering if the "special offers" remove hack, still working after the firmware upgrade.
There's some way to re-remove the ads with 3.4 firmware?
babywin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #36
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle
I've got the font-hack installed so I can't tell if the new font is any good. The original was aweful, but how IS the new one?
anywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by anywho View Post
I've got the font-hack installed so I can't tell if the new font is any good. The original was aweful, but how IS the new one?
It's the same fonts just darker.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #38
mriscott
mriscott began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Slowness following 3.4 upgrade

Hi

Is anyone else seeing a degredation of performance on the k3 following 3.4 update? I have seen it being substantially slower to open books since the upgrade.

I have tried a reboot but that makes no noticeable difference.

I have the luigi terminal hack, FBreader and freedownload installed.
mriscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #39
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriscott View Post
Hi

Is anyone else seeing a degredation of performance on the k3 following 3.4 update? I have seen it being substantially slower to open books since the upgrade.

I have tried a reboot but that makes no noticeable difference.

I have the luigi terminal hack, FBreader and freedownload installed.

Yes, most definitely! Sometimes there is a huge lag in page turns, and even moving the cursor! The cursor won't even appear for several seconds after I push the 5-way. I checked indexing, and that is not the problem. Most definitely slower in all respects.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #40
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I haven't experienced any slowdown/lags since the update.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Give it some time, it is probably re-indexing your content, and that will impact performance. To check this, search for '.' on the home screen and it will bring up status.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #42
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Give it some time, it is probably re-indexing your content, and that will impact performance. To check this, search for '.' on the home screen and it will bring up status.
I've had the update installed since it was released, and I've checked indexing several times. I continue to have a much less responsive Kindle since installation. If I could easily roll back, I would do so. I will go over and post something on Amazon.com.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I've had the update installed since it was released, and I've checked indexing several times. I continue to have a much less responsive Kindle since installation. If I could easily roll back, I would do so. I will go over and post something on Amazon.com.
Granted, I haven't used my KK for nearly a year (my wife uses it now) so I wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if it is any slower since the update. But it doesn't seem slow. It only has 55 items on it however.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #44
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
No such problem on the two Kindles we have in our household, books open pretty quickly just the same as always. Though one of them is freezing up every time I turn the wi-fi connection on (I don't use if very often so don't know if it's even related to the firmware upgrade). It promptly froze again when I selected the option to turn it off, but after a reboot the wi-fi is off and it's no longer freezing. Once I've finished the book I'm reading I'll perhaps try a reset to factory default and see if that fixes it.....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #45
mriscott
mriscott began at the beginning.

Device: K3
I think I've found a partial solution. I was seeing a big delay on hitting the home button and listing my books. I tried backing up to my computer and removing from the kindle. It's now back to normal - and I'm downloading titles I want from the cloud as I need them.
mriscott is offline   Reply With Quote