Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Developers say Android is unsustainable

Is fragmentation started affecting Android?

http://www.neowin.net/news/developer...-unsustainable

Looks we have too many hardware versions to support ... instead of only one, for Apple .
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Looks we have too many hardware versions to support ... instead of only one, for Apple .
Isn't that why they have unified tablets and phones in ICS? I am no developer, does this really take care of the problem; meaning one version will seamlessly work on devices of all sizes?

Besides, the question is, (given that Android has by far the most devices running) how big are the "markets" for different versions still in use, and is it still worth it spending time on several or all of them? Most of the segments alone will be a bigger market than any of the other OSs. (versions 2.2 and 2.3, I suppose). And how much extra effort does it take to develop something that works on all of them?

The big burden of freedom of choice. Some people just prefer being told what works best for them. In the end, what is important is how it works for the endusers, developers just have to work with it.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-11-2012 at 08:11 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
Sad that it seems most people want these stupid games, I think a PSP would be a better choice of devices for people that mostly care about game playing. I keep looking at the (cr)app-store and there are so many low quality games on there it makes me wonder what people do all day.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Sad that it seems most people want these stupid games, I think a PSP would be a better choice of devices for people that mostly care about game playing. I keep looking at the (cr)app-store and there are so many low quality games on there it makes me wonder what people do all day.
True.

And to be fair , I have never had any issues on my Android devices, although they have been from known brands.

But as an IT guy I can say that for a developer is harder to code when you have so many hardware and variables that can affect your code and application's behaviour.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
I'll never see it this way, but I know a few people who think their iPhone/iPod Touch is a gaming system first and foremost. I've got some games and such on my phone, but mostly 5 minute time wasters. If I'm going to sit down and play something, it'll be on my DS or PSP.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I'll never see it this way, but I know a few people who think their iPhone/iPod Touch is a gaming system first and foremost. I've got some games and such on my phone, but mostly 5 minute time wasters. If I'm going to sit down and play something, it'll be on my DS or PSP.
Theoretically, 5-minute games, but they can take a bit longer Real gaming is done on my PC.

But an OS's real value is its ability to play games? For me, games are a nice side-effect, but not the reason I bought a tablet...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

This is not necessarily a bad thing, I think it will eventually lead to better quality apps by weeding out the fly by night devs who are not willing or able to provide the necessary hardware support diversity, and encourage the ones who are.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
This is not necessarily a bad thing, I think it will eventually lead to better quality apps by weeding out the fly by night devs who are not willing or able to provide the necessary hardware support diversity, and encourage the ones who are.
This is not a small developer though. There are other articles about him that a
So state how many extra hours & thousands of dollars it takes to support the hardware "diversity" of android. it's google that needs to do something about it. Google needs to take better control of android. So much opportunity there yet they let it go by the wayside it seems. I've seen countless articles similar to this one. Apps are always taken to ios 1st because it's easier to deveolp for. It's too bad. Hopefully it'll get better in the future.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote