Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #2236
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ...will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
The virtual wall I lurk behind.

Please keep the snippets coming. They are whetting my appetite to start the series again. This time without interruption since my friend returned Changes to me.
Oh! that wall. Okay...will do.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #2237
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Ah, I'm here too. I've been in New York attending some family simchas and other stuff, kind of busy.

But now I'm back to my life and catching up on the news.

That was a really depressing excerpt from "Dangerous Women", I gotta say -- It tells you nothing and makes it PAINFUL to wait for the book. Why do I read these things?!?!?!

And I managed to read all of the first James Potter book. Huh. I thought I could do better than that.
(Then again I read a lot of other stuff too, but this series was supposed to be like a mission or something.)
Oh well at least I have something to look forward to while I wait for Skin Game.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #2238
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Jim Butcher Q&A at NYC

Priscilla Spencer - Aug 3, 2011

From the GHOST STORY signing tour.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #2239
tedpeer
Enthusiast
tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook, iOs
I'm just trying to figure out when to start the re-read of the series so that I'm ready to start Skin Games the day it comes out. Hmmm. A book every 1.5 days. 14 books. 3 weeks to read them all...
tedpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #2240
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Quote:
"Thomas scowled. “An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo.”
That is kinda much!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #2241
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Some replys & some more Dresden Files Snippits (from Blood Rites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpeer View Post
I'm just trying to figure out when to start the re-read of the series so that I'm ready to start Skin Games the day it comes out. Hmmm. A book every 1.5 days. 14 books. 3 weeks to read them all...
I had originally planned to begin my re-read on September first, but as time progressed I noticed that my book consumption rate was slowing (I'd been reading a thread about 'reader's block) and I panicked and started my Dresden re-read a month early. But guess what? My book consumption rate recovered immediately upon beginning the re-read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
That is kinda much!
You had to have been there!

Snippits (from Blood Rites):
Quote:
“Oh, what would you like on your vegetarian pizza?”

“Dead pigs and cows,” I said.

--------------------------------------------------------------

“Just hold still,” I said. “Don’t try to move until we know where she is.”

“That’ll get her,” Thomas panted. “The old sitting-duck ploy.”

“Give me your gun,” I said.

“Why?”

“So that the next time you start talking I can shoot your wise ass.”

I couldn’t take it anymore. “Hey, people. Chat time is over. The girl’s about to pass out on her feet. Thomas is dying. So both of you shut your mouth and help them.”

Raith whipped his head around to stare daggers at me. His voice was cold enough to merit the use of a Kelvin scale. “I do not respond well to demands.”

I ground my teeth and said, “Both of you shut your mouth and help them. Please.”

And they say I can’t be diplomatic.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #2242
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Ah, I love Blood Rites.
Death by turkey is a classic.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #2243
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Dresden Files Snippit (from Blood Rites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Ah, I love Blood Rites.
Death by turkey is a classic.
Quote:
The vampire’s expression didn’t even flicker, so I was sure it did not feel the curse coming.

Which made it a complete surprise when something slammed into the vampire from directly overhead, too quickly to be seen. There was a sound of impact, a raspy, dry scream, and the vampire went down hard.

It lay on the ground like a butterfly pinned to a card, arms and legs thrashing uselessly. Its chest and collarbone had been crushed.

By an entire frozen turkey. A twenty-pounder.

The plucked bird must have fallen from an airplane overhead, doubtlessly manipulated by the curse. By the time it got to the ground, the turkey had already reached its terminal velocity, and was still hard as a brick. The drumsticks poked up above the vampire’s crushed chest, their ends wrapped in red tinfoil.

The vampire gasped and writhed a little more.

The timer popped out of the turkey.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #2244
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
The plucked bird must have fallen from an airplane overhead, doubtlessly manipulated by the curse. By the time it got to the ground, the turkey had already reached its terminal velocity, and was still hard as a brick. The drumsticks poked up above the vampire’s crushed chest, their ends wrapped in red tinfoil.

The vampire gasped and writhed a little more.

The timer popped out of the turkey.
That is so not a pretty picture
Amusing nonetheless

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #2245
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool not a pretty picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
That is so not a pretty picture
Amusing nonetheless

Helen
Agreed!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #2246
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool some more Dresden Files Snippits (from Blood Rites)

Quote:
I saw blisters rising on my left hand. I felt my fingers curling into a claw. They looked thinner, as if made of melting wax, and I could see the shadows of my bones beneath the flesh. The shield grew weaker yet. The pain got worse...

“Oh, God,” Murphy said. “Your hand, oh, God.” But she never stopped moving...

I lifted my left hand, and stared at it in shock for a second. I always thought I looked good in red and black, but as a rule I preferred that to be my clothes. Not my limbs. My hand was a blackened, twisted claw of badly cooked meat, burned dark wherever it wasn’t bloodred. My silver shield bracelet dangled beneath it, the charm-shields heat-warped, gleaming and bright...

Then he said, “You’re going to lose that hand.”

“I was sending it back to the kitchen anyway. I ordered it medium well.”

“The three of us together should be able to take one vamp down the hard way if we’re alert. But if one of them closes on us, we’re probably going to die,” Kincaid said. “The best way to stay alive is to hit them fast and stay on the offensive. Once we’ve put down any unfriendlies, you two can go save the hostages or take the Renfields to therapy or tap dance or whatever. If things go south, stay together and come straight back out. McCoy should have the truck out front and ready where he can see the door.”

“I will,” Ebenezar agreed.

“Okay,” Kincaid said. “Anyone have any questions?”

“Why do they sell hot dogs in packages of ten but hot dog buns in packages of eight?” I said.

Everyone glared at me. I should probably leave off wizarding and chase my dream of becoming a stand-up comedian.

Instead, I put the toy gun in my right hand, my staff in my left, and said, “Let’s go.”

“Hey!” I shouted. “You! You demented U.S. Army surplus blow-up doll! I’m talking to you. So say something!”

She didn’t, but her eyes glittered with annoyance, the first emotion I’d seen there. What can I say, inspiring anger is my gift. I have a responsibility to use it wisely.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #2247
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I love Harry's smart aleck personality.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #2248
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool My annual re-read of The Dresden Files!

Quote:
Wow, Death Masks was a great re-read!! This complete series re-read started out great, and keeps on getting greater!
Next up, Blood Rites!
Zowie!! Blood Rites was SUPER!! Now on to the one I've always considered as my favorite (ignoring the fact that I've also always said that my favorite is the one I'm currently reading), Dead Beat!!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #2249
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Skin Game release date:
116 DAYS!

And Chosen will be out in
7 DAYS!

Err, make that:

And Chosen will be out in
18 DAYS!

Some evil sadist has changed the publication date.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #2250
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpeer View Post
Reread it SEVERAL times?

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy