Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Device: JuliusvonJD
EPub conversion problem with Calibre

I have a bunch of e-books in Djvu format which I want to convert to EPUB for use with an Android tablet I just ordered. Since I couldn’t find any software converting directly from Djvu to EPub, I am trying do do it in two steps: converting from Djvu to to PDF and then to Epub with Calibre.
I tried many softwares ( PDF Lite, Nova PDF, A-Pdf to Djvu) . The conversion to PDF is OK, but I cannot get the final conversion to E-Pub in Calibre: the last (free) software I tried ( Boxsoft) looks very user friendly, but even with it I cannot convert to Epub. At least I am getting some symptoms of what is going wrong: when I load the viewer in Calibre , it takes a minutes or so for the Epub file to get loaded: it says “ loading e-book” then “ loading flow” and finally I get a page filled with black bars instead of the printed lines… Sometimes I also get a warning about a script problem..
Does anybody know what is the problem and how can I solve it? I don’t know if the problem is with Calibre or with software used to convert to PDF.May be I should find an alternative to Calibre.

Thank you for your help

Ittiandro
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Maybe this would work?

https://cloudconvert.org/djvu-to-epub
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
That looks interesting.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Djvu, being a format that stores images of pages rather than text, is not going to convert well to EPub. Converting Djvu to PDF doesn't magically convert the Djvu images to text. It just creates a PDF full of images. The only way you're going to get that converted to a usable epub is if you do OCR on the images (probably easiest to do once you've converted to PDF). Of course OCR is not perfect, so after you've done the conversion you'll have to go back through the book and edit all of the mistakes it made.

If your end goal is just to be able to read your Djvu books on your Android tablet, a much better solution is to get a Djvu reader for Android (I have no affiliation with that app, it was just the first hit when I googled for "android djvu reader").
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd recommend going back to wherever you bought your books from, and seeing if they supply them in a more "device-friendly" format. DJVU is great for things like magazines and comics, but it's really not a format that's intended for use with books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #6
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Djvu, being a format that stores images of pages rather than text, is not going to convert well to EPub. Converting Djvu to PDF doesn't magically convert the Djvu images to text. It just creates a PDF full of images. The only way you're going to get that converted to a usable epub is if you do OCR on the images (probably easiest to do once you've converted to PDF). Of course OCR is not perfect, so after you've done the conversion you'll have to go back through the book and edit all of the mistakes it made.
+1 on that

Footnote: yet another thinking that calibre is some kind of magic wand.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Would you consider converting the DejaVu to HTML? It isn't easy, but I've done it a couple of times.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote