Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #31
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iLiad v2, Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Voyage
After much much much trouble, I reflashed it and also had to reformat it, as it kept rebooting after the reflash.
I checked the wired network, dynamic address doesn't work there either, I have to specify a static IP address.
As for pinging it, yes, of course, but as it doesn't connect, what use would it be ? It won't show up, I guess ? Or am I mistaken ?
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #32
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
No, it won't show up as you would expect from a windows computer
in the networking neighbourhood or as a linux computer using the
SMB protocol...

But.. if you can ping it (and you get a response of course) you know
it is there. As I said, your previous output from config -a looked just fine.

Disconnect from wired network and repeat the steps you did that resulted
in that output from config -a. Try to ping it (over wifi).

Next step then: Try to connect to IDS.

Dirk
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #33
JPJ41
JPJ41 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen
Have you installed any web client ?
Browser ?
JPJ41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #34
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDirk View Post
No, it won't show up as you would expect from a windows computer
in the networking neighbourhood or as a linux computer using the
SMB protocol...

But.. if you can ping it (and you get a response of course) you know
it is there. As I said, your previous output from config -a looked just fine.

Disconnect from wired network and repeat the steps you did that resulted
in that output from config -a. Try to ping it (over wifi).

Next step then: Try to connect to IDS.

Dirk
Considering that I had to flash the iLiad and reformat everything, I'm not that sure I want to try it once more...
Anyway, as I said from the beginning, the problem likely comes from my router, not from the iLiad, which works perfectly with another wireless network.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #35
Vanessa
French newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJ41 View Post
Have you installed any web client ?
Browser ?
Not yet. Yesterday, I had something installed, but I lost everything when I reformated the device.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #36
JPJ41
JPJ41 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen
Just exchange it with your mother's router/AP ;-))
JPJ41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #37
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
See posting #15 ...

Dirk
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 AM   #38
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
sorry to hear about your hassles with the iLiad, i once also had it go into an endless reboot cycle
- was not fun, i recommend you have the unbrick package installed if you dont already (sets up ethernet and ssh on startup)

hmm, your output looked very promising

in particular it would appear you got your ip from dhcp, and

just a couple of things that didnt make sense to me:
(i suspect you solved, as you got futher anyway)
a) "iwconfig wlan0 essid "myssid""
myssid should have been substituted with your network name
e.g.
iwconfig wlan0 essid myhomewifilan

b) "192.164.1.104 is the static DNS I attributed to the iLiad "
i assume this is a typo, and you mean is a static IP , and that you mean that you have assigned to the iLiad within the router setup
im also slightly confused as you said this was assigned to the iLiad wired mac address, which as dirk said is different to eth0.

what seems odd here, is that wlan is using dhcp, and assigned 104, yet you said you 'reserved' this for static ip on ethernet

btw, the wlan may still not have worked if you had eth0 plugged in, due to routing not being set up, but that was not really aim - it was more to see if dhcp was connecting you to network which it appeared to.

btw2, on my router i can list which clients are connected to it, and iliad will show up, and also shows ip router assigned to it (even if it disconnects afterwards)

anyways as i said at start, the ifconfig output looks very promising, and suggests the following:
i) your iliad is connecting to router/wifi ok
ii) its ok with dhcp

so i think problems could be:
a) ip conflict (however usually this works, just gives 'bad' performance, any only applies if eth0 is also plugged in)
as mentioned above, think its worth checking
i) on your router, what MAC address have you assiged to 104?
ii) you could try explicity assign an IP address to MAC of wlan0
iii) and/or check that your router is assigning (automatic) wifi addresses from a different range to wired AND that its outside the range you have assigned static addresses to
e.g i usually use 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.50 for static/reservered up, and 192.168.0.100 - 110 for the 'wifi pool'

b) routing setup - DNS and default gateway

ps. the annoying thing about the default scripts, is if they detect any errors, they bring the whole interface down again, hence why you had to type the steps manually

good luck, i know how frustrating this is ... esp. when you can see it working on another router/with other computers
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:48 AM   #39
Vanessa
French newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDirk View Post
See posting #15 ...

Dirk
Yeah, except that my mum would NEVER exchange her beloved router with mine. Actually, I got the old one from my parents, because my mum didn't know how to use it. She prefered to buy an easy one, which sets everything up automatically and is a nightmare if you want to have access to the settings to change them.

Anyway, tomorrow, I'm going at my bestfriend's, who's also got a wireless router, and I'll test the iLiad there.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:01 AM   #40
Vanessa
French newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnobear View Post
a) "iwconfig wlan0 essid "myssid""
myssid should have been substituted with your network name
e.g.
iwconfig wlan0 essid myhomewifilan
I know, that's what I did. I just didn't see the point in writing my ssid's name in this topic. But of course, I substituted it.

Quote:
b) "192.164.1.104 is the static DNS I attributed to the iLiad "
i assume this is a typo, and you mean is a static IP , and that you mean that you have assigned to the iLiad within the router setup
im also slightly confused as you said this was assigned to the iLiad wired mac address, which as dirk said is different to eth0.
Of course, my mistake. I meant static IP, not DNS. And it's 192.168.1.104, not 192.164.1.104 (typo).
And it's assigned to the wired mac address, right.

Quote:
what seems odd here, is that wlan is using dhcp, and assigned 104, yet you said you 'reserved' this for static ip on ethernet
Maybe that's were the problem lies ?

Quote:
btw, the wlan may still not have worked if you had eth0 plugged in, due to routing not being set up, but that was not really aim - it was more to see if dhcp was connecting you to network which it appeared to.
eth0 was not plugged in. I tested the iLiad without it being plugged anywhere (not to the router, not to the compuer either)

Quote:
btw2, on my router i can list which clients are connected to it, and iliad will show up, and also shows ip router assigned to it (even if it disconnects afterwards)
I can't do that with mine (it's stupid, I know), but I tried with a third party app, and iLiad didn't show up. Of course, when it was connected to the wired ethernet and working successfully, it showed up.

Quote:
anyways as i said at start, the ifconfig output looks very promising, and suggests the following:
i) your iliad is connecting to router/wifi ok
ii) its ok with dhcp

so i think problems could be:
a) ip conflict (however usually this works, just gives 'bad' performance, any only applies if eth0 is also plugged in)
as mentioned above, think its worth checking
i) on your router, what MAC address have you assiged to 104?
ii) you could try explicity assign an IP address to MAC of wlan0
iii) and/or check that your router is assigning (automatic) wifi addresses from a different range to wired AND that its outside the range you have assigned static addresses to
e.g i usually use 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.50 for static/reservered up, and 192.168.0.100 - 110 for the 'wifi pool'

b) routing setup - DNS and default gateway

ps. the annoying thing about the default scripts, is if they detect any errors, they bring the whole interface down again, hence why you had to type the steps manually
a) I never tried to connect with the wifi when wired ethernet was plugged in, in order to avoid conflicts.
I'll try to manually assign a MAC address.
BTW, router gives out dynamic addresses that are outside the range defined for static IP adresses. And two days ago, I tried again with another computer, which connected wirelessly without any problem, and got it's dynamic IP address immediatly (which was outside the range assigned to static IP addresses)

b) The thing is (quite funny) that iLiad cannot connect to the router, even with wired etherned, if I click the automatic configuration. I have to enter all the values manually, and give it a static IP address. Dynamic IP doesn't work, not only with wifi, but also with wired ethernet. However, it works with another router, gets a dynamic IP address, so apparently, the problem really comes from my router. Maybe one day I'll buy a new one, but I kinda like mine, works flawlessly for ports, games, apps, etc., and before the present problem with iLiad, I never had any trouble with it.

Anyway, thank you, to all of you, really, for trying to help me. I think the easy solution for me would be to be able to have a script to connect to the wifi with a static IP address, I hope it will be possible with next firmware release, and I hope I won't have to wait something like a year
Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #41
Vanessa
French newbie

Ok, people, I'm back on this thread. Today, I was at my bestfriend's, and I tried the iLiad there, to check the wifi.
Same issue as with my wifi.
What is interesting is that she owns a Linksys, WAG something, same category, same brand and same model.
Really, really strange...
Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #42
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
I have given up on using the IX67 wifi router used as accesspoint. I am getting a new wifi router/modem in one and will test the iliad there.
But I managed thanks to the patch from technobear to use my Linksys WRT305N wireless n router for the Iliad. But then any centrino based latop with wifi N on board connects at 54 mbit. Unless set to wpa2/aes. (is know bug but intel is ignoring it)
Since the Iliad only uses wpa/tkip it will soon be assigned to the new modem/router soon.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:30 AM   #43
gsm
gsm began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad 2nd ed.
Wifi Issue

I can connect to the IDS
I can connect when I tet and save
But the moment I try to connect to network and download something off of my computer wirelessly, it always turns out to be unseccessful. Anyone know what the issue could be?
gsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #44
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm View Post
I can connect to the IDS
I can connect when I tet and save
But the moment I try to connect to network and download something off of my computer wirelessly, it always turns out to be unseccessful. Anyone know what the issue could be?
I've seen that problem several times. It's obviously not an issue with the network connection since you can connect to IDS, etc. Usually if the only thing that fails is connecting to another computer then there's something not configured right with the directory sharing. Either the PC is not setup correctly, or something with the username/password/workgroup/directory setting on the iLiad is wrong.

Getting windows directory sharing to work over a network can be tricky if you haven't done it before.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #45
gsm
gsm began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad 2nd ed.
That is what I was thinking also.
I have a mac and so maybe that is the problem.
thanks for your quick reply. I will keep guessing until it works.
gsm is offline   Reply With Quote