Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
zzmijarevic
zzmijarevic began at the beginning.

Device: HTC HD2
Calibre server

Hello!

When starting the Calibre Server from within "Preferences->Content Server", I am constantly receiving a message "ERROR: Failed to start content server: Port 8080 not free on '0.0.0.0'".

What is preventing the startup? What can I try in order to start the server?

My WinXP computer is on a local LAN using DHCP.
The windows firewall is active but I added "calibre-server.exe" to the exceptions list.

Thanks!

p.s. I actually puzzled by the 0.0.0.0 address!
zzmijarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmijarevic View Post
When starting the Calibre Server from within "Preferences->Content Server", I am constantly receiving a message "ERROR: Failed to start content server: Port 8080 not free on '0.0.0.0'".
FAQ says:

Code:
I get the error message “Failed to start content server: Port 8080 not free on ‘0.0.0.0’”?¶

The most likely cause of this is your antivirus program. Try temporarily disabling it and see if it does the trick.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have found that some common programs (e.g. uTorrent) seem to grab port 8080. Try changing it to something else like 8787 and see if that helps.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #4
zzmijarevic

Thanks for your help!

I got confused by the 0.0.0.0 address, so i didn't fiddle with the antivirus program.
It looks as if my NOD32 antivirus is preventing the startup.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The 0.0.0.0 address just means the local computer. Did you try the alternative port idea (that is what works forr me)?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 04:18 AM   #6
zzmijarevic

As a principle, the local computer uses its "loopback device" with the 127.0.0.1 address.

Changing ports was the first thing I had checked. Since that didn't work for me, I thought that the 0.0.0.0 address indicated some other problem. 0.0.0.0 is really out of the ordinary. One could conclude that a procedure queried for an IP address, received nothing and continued without an exception (error).
Old 07-28-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
0.0.0.0 is pretty standard (take a look at the output from "netstat -an" on windows or linux (or mac?) for example) and generally means "any valid IP". That is, if a server is listening on 0.0.0.0:someport, any request to a valid IP bound to that computer on that port will be handled by that service. Similarly, if a service is accepting from 0.0.0.0, any valid incoming IP will be handled (in netstat, you'll see 0.0.0.0 when a service is listening, as once a connection is established between two IPs you'll see those specific IPs listed instead).

Calibre doesn't give you the option to bind to a specific interface/IP (at least not from the UI), so 0.0.0.0 is correct -- it's binding to any/all interfaces/IPs.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #8
zzmijarevic

BTW, I apologize if my question is a repetition of older posts. Especially, due to the FAQ answer.

In my defense, I'd like to say that the one thing I cannot change on my pc is the antivirus service (admin settings prevent me from disabling it). I closed/disabled nearly everything else and it didn't help. On the other hand, I could start the content server in safe mode with networking. It could be concluded that the AV was blocking Calibre, but not with 100% certainty.

Maybe, the server startup routine should give out more info on errors during startup?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Have you tried changing your port like many others have suggested? Pick something relatively high, like 45000 or so. 8080, 8888, 8088, etc are all pretty common ports and I bet your antivirus is blocking them separate from your firewall because of that. However apps still need to be able to open ports, and oftentimes higher port ranges are allowed.

Then again, it could be that your AV is blocking any listening processes (aka, servers) rather than ports, so you might just be out of luck. Though you can't turn off your AV, is there no way you could modify its configuration for example to allow the calibre-server.exe process?
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #10
zzmijarevic

I've tried different ports - high, low, privileged..
Due to my admin's limitations, I'll be using Calibre on a different machine.

BTW, regarding the 0.0.0.0 address - since its use is specific, I still think that the error message is misleading and should be more specific (i.e. "could not bind server with *:8080"). And thx. Toddos for his elaboration on the 0.0.0.0 address.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 AM   #11
Battleaxe
Battleaxe began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Hi, I seem to be having a similar problem trying to get the calibre server to start. I have checked faqs and threads. I have changed the port to many different values to no avail with the same "port __ not available on 0.0.0.0 error message coming up. I have disabled NOD and windows firewall and done "port forwarding" for each tried port on my router. It is becoming a pain. Interestingly I did get it opening up once early on and transferred some books but this has now only added extra pain as I cannot repeat it. The only thing that I may have tinkered with was the maximum OPDs items per query which I have currently set to 15. I cannot recall what the default value was. I have tried that netstat -an command and although getting into realms that are becoming obscure, my various chosen ports seem to be free. Windows Vista with 7.15 calibre now on.

Any suggestions, troubleshooting steps welcome. Quite possibly a very basic error I have overlooked.
Regards
Russ
Battleaxe is offline   Reply With Quote