Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Full size .pdfs - screenshots and/or best option available now?

OK, the more I read here, the more I want to buy a reader. The thing is, most of my reading is professional and academic journals, which use a variety of .pdf sizes, up to 8.5 x 11 (A4, I believe?)

Are there screenshots anywhere of how these documents would appear on the Sony 505, or other? (I'm in Canada and so can't buy a Kindle yet.) As far as I can tell all the 9.7 inch displays are not yet in existence. And a related question: if I wanted to buy something today, what is the best option for heavy PDF reading? (Right now, I'm leaning towards making do with my laptop until the 9.7 inches are on the market.)

Any suggestions most appreciated.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Waiting for 9.7" devices (or a LCD-based tablet with a long battery life) is not a bad choice. If you want to buy today, the only option is the iLiad. Its 8.1" screen really is enough larger than the 6" to make a difference.

Any academic or professional article written entirely by US government employees has no copyright protection. If you can find an example in this category, post the PDF here and someone will make screenshots (copies of the screen bitmap) or photos. Or look in the iLiad forum for existing images, see for example Photos from medical journals.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
RWJ
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Waiting for 9.7" devices (or a LCD-based tablet with a long battery life) is not a bad choice. If you want to buy today, the only option is the iLiad. Its 8.1" screen really is enough larger than the 6" to make a difference.

Any academic or professional article written entirely by US government employees has no copyright protection. If you can find an example in this category, post the PDF here and someone will make screenshots (copies of the screen bitmap) or photos. Or look in the iLiad forum for existing images, see for example Photos from medical journals.
Thank you very much, I appreciate this.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I want an iLiad... too.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
For large format .pdfs, I haul out my Fujitsu Stylistic 4110 (10.4" screen @ 1024 x 768) which works well for such. A 9-cell battery lasts longer than I'm likely to spend reading on it.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
With the upcoming update for the 505 that will add support to reflow PDF, the Sony might be a good solution as long as you're not using documents full of tables and images.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
RWJ
Zealot

OK, attached is a publicly available PDF of the sort that I'd like to be able to read on a reader. Can anyone show me what this looks like on a Sony reader screen?
Thanks muchly,
R
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pahlavi.pdf (485.5 KB, 550 views)
Old 07-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We won't know until we get the new firmware. We expect it any time now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #9
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Some photos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
OK, attached is a publicly available PDF of the sort that I'd like to be able to read on a reader. Can anyone show me what this looks like on a Sony reader screen?
Thanks muchly,
R
Here are some photos from my 5 year old digital camera. I had to kill the flash to avoid glare so it may not look as good as it should be.

Also, you can download 'ebook library' program and load the PDF. Then, you can see how it will look depending on the font size (S/M/L) and document orientation (portrait mode only).

Good luck on your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landscape-S.JPG
Views:	861
Size:	693.6 KB
ID:	14650   Click image for larger version

Name:	landscape-M.JPG
Views:	709
Size:	743.3 KB
ID:	14651   Click image for larger version

Name:	landscape-L.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	706.1 KB
ID:	14652   Click image for larger version

Name:	portrait-S.JPG
Views:	872
Size:	707.7 KB
ID:	14653   Click image for larger version

Name:	portrait-M.JPG
Views:	821
Size:	796.4 KB
ID:	14654   Click image for larger version

Name:	portrait-L.JPG
Views:	728
Size:	718.9 KB
ID:	14655  

Last edited by soilwork; 07-26-2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Ebook library program cannot show documents in landscape mode.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Here are some photos from my 5 year old digital camera. I had to kill the flash to avoid glare so it may not look as good as it should be.

Also, you can download 'ebook library' program and load the PDF. Then, you can see how it will look depending on the font size (S/M/L) and document orientation (portrait/landscape).

Good luck on your decision.
thanks very much for the images. It is vastly improved from the previous release. It is a bit surprising that they chose to cut the picture in half rather than move it to a page by itself.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Also, you can download 'ebook library' program and load the PDF. Then, you can see how it will look depending on the font size (S/M/L) and document orientation (portrait/landscape).
See Sony's Windows ebook Reader for an expanded post on the Windows program. I did not find a landscape mode though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #12
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See Sony's Windows ebook Reader for an expanded post on the Windows program. I did not find a landscape mode though.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I only checked that ebook library program can display PDF files in S/M/L size in portrait mode and I assumed that it should be able to display landscape mode as well. I will edit the post accordingly.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #13
kosodo
kosodo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
so what are your opinions? Should I wait for a 9.7" or get the PRS-505 with new firmware?

p.s. sorry for hijacking this thread, hope you guys dont mind. I just have the same needs for a reader as RWJ.
kosodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The wait for 9.7 will be a long one. The latest dates I've heard for screens (not even devices) are around Q1 2009 and there's no guarantee they won't be pushed back again.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Hanlain device with a 9.7" screen still isn't for sale yet even though it was announced so long ago.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!