Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Looking for a new science fiction e-book

Howdy gang!

I'll be finishing my current book tonight (Empire of Ivory, book 4 of the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik) and I'd like to have my next one ready to go. I turn to those here for some suggestions on what to read next.

I haven't read much actual science fiction really because I've generally been more a fantasy fan, but lately I'm enjoying mixing it up more. That means there are TONS of sci-fi books out there just waiting for me to discover!

I'm in the mood for a good science fiction with solid science and engrossing characters. The last sci-fi I read that I really enjoyed were Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds. The 3rd book was a bit floundering IMO, but overall I definitely ate it all up. What might make a good next read for me that is available in some e-book format?

* I prefer the science to be fairly accurate as I'm a the sort that is bugged when it's obviously off.
* Space opera is obviously ok considering my Reynolds enjoyment.
* Plot and character development should not be overshadowed by the science - I know some others get a little carried away.
* Stand alone books or series of books are all welcome.

Ok that's still pretty open ended there, but I figure it's a start. Whatcha got?
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Night's dawn trilogy, by Peter F. Hamilton
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Here's some reading for your edification...

Free - Baen book free library ($4 contributions accepted)

David Drake - Old Nathan - Historical Fantasy set in the 1830's Tennesee (by a hard science fiction writer)

Keith Laumer - Retief! (humorous satirical SF)

James H Schmidt - Tezley Amberdon - (telepathy)

James P Hogan - Inherent The Stars - (Space Opera, 1st in a trilogy)

Andre Norton - Time Traders - (Time Travel)

Eric Flint - 1632 - (Alternate History)

And if you can handle bad science in science fiction (for historical purposes)...The First readable Space Opera - Skylark Three (just to see where S/F has come from....) Project Gutenberg

A variety of types and styles, and competitvely priced.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
There's a thread in here with the top20 (or so) Sci-Fi books that will change your life, your have to read, or something ... might want to check those out too.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide View Post
Night's dawn trilogy, by Peter F. Hamilton
I was almost miffed at the lack of any description from you on this suggestion until I of course did a quick search on that author and those books in particular. That sounds like *exactly* what I'm looking for!

Now I just have to decide if I should pay the extra $$ to get it through Sony for my 505 so it's correctly formatted, or get it through Fictionwise for a bit less, but then have to convert. Hmm. Probably worth the $1.50 per book to just get it nice and clean.

I'll come back at some point with my thoughts on the series - thanks for the suggestion!
Advert
Old 05-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Shadowplay
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
There's a thread in here with the top20 (or so) Sci-Fi books that will change your life, your have to read, or something ... might want to check those out too.
Definitely a great thread there. I had already looked through that and yes most of those are now on my list to read sooner or later (if they weren't already hehe,) but for now I had a craving for something specific and I think I may have found it in leandroide's suggestion.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
Shadowplay
Groupie

Wow I'm triple posting. Someone stop me - I'm outta control!

Anyway, after seeing some more fairly in-depth reviews I think I'm gonna hold off on the Night's Dawn Trilogy for now, but keep it in mind to try another time. Feeling extra picky today.

EDIT
So... after seeing just how little is available as e-books from the crop of current hard sci-fi authors I think I may be right back to that Night's Dawn Trilogy. I'm frustrated by how little is available. Come on publishers! It doesn't take a genius to realize science fiction and e-books are made for each other! /sigh.

Last edited by Shadowplay; 05-21-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:27 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
You asked for new?
The Electric Church by Jeff Somers
On fictionwise $8.99 and it has a Micropay Rebate: 25% right now on it.

I have not read it yet, bought it only yesterday, planning to read it over the summer.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #9
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
I actually envy you a bit, just starting to read SF !! I read tons of 'em and I find it hard these days to find something new and of good quality (I've grown critical too ...)
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #10
harrynewman
harrynewman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I'd second anything by Peter F. Hamilton.

So far i've read:

Pandora's Star
Judas Unchained
Fallen Dragon

The books tend to be on the hefty side (that being 1000+ pages), but all have been top quality science fiction.
harrynewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:59 AM   #11
leandroide
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrynewman View Post
I'd second anything by Peter F. Hamilton.

So far i've read:

Pandora's Star
Judas Unchained
Fallen Dragon

The books tend to be on the hefty side (that being 1000+ pages), but all have been top quality science fiction.
I've read these books too. Fallen Dragon is quite good. Pandora's star and Judas unchained are a good space opera too. But, as far as I have read, for me Night's dawn is "The space opera".

Hamilton is writing a now the Void trilogy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Void_Trilogy). But I am going to wait until the trilogy is complete. If I can...

L.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:03 AM   #12
leandroide
Zealot

I have just remembered two more recommendations for you, Shadowplay.

They are "A fire upon the deep" and "A deepness in the sky" by Vernor Vinge.

L.

Last edited by leandroide; 05-22-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Now I just have to decide if I should pay the extra $$ to get it through Sony for my 505 so it's correctly formatted, or get it through Fictionwise for a bit less, but then have to convert. Hmm. Probably worth the $1.50 per book to just get it nice and clean.
Sony's versions have huge margins that waste screen space. I find it preferable to try to get a version that I can reformat according to my own taste. Plus, if you can get it without DRM (or if you can remove the DRM, like with MS Lit format) then you can keep the book for future ebook devices. The problem with Sony's format is that you can't do anything with it.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you suggest something, please make sure it's available as an eBook in a format that is for the Sony PRS-505 or can easily be converted such as MS Reader. Also, make sure the entire series (if you suggest books from a series) is available.

As an example, a suggestion for the Time Traders series was suggested. But the entire series is not available as eBooks as the series eventually switched publishers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote