Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What do you include in/on your web site?

I'm struggling to figure out what a writer's web site should be. I currently have two of them. The first one has become so bogged down with this, that, and the other thing, I can't figure out quite what it's supposed to be. The new one, I like a lot. But it all centers on me and my writing. That seems a good bit shallow. Any thoughts?
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Aren't all personal blogs shallow and self-obsessive? (Maybe I'm being too cynical.)

I have similar difficulties with my own, which is why it gets updated so rarely. Some (too many I think) spend a lot of time writing stuff that is mainly of interest to other writers. To my mind an author's blog should about your own work and whatever personal stuff you have a mind to share (for me that's not much). The problem with that is that writing is such a slow business that there doesn't seem a lot to say unless you have a big fan base writing in asking questions and comments. Until that happens ... what do you do? I suppose that's why so many branch out, and where can they branch except to what interests them: writing. I just don't see that as a very fruitful way of encouraging reader participation.

All of which is of very little help to you, I know. But at least you know you're not alone.

If you have an interest outside your writing that could add another spark then you could try that. I was hoping the photos I added to my articles might help (that being another hobby of mine), but maybe I need to have more to say about the photos themselves. My other main interest is software development and computer security, I've lots to say on those topics, but it doesn't seem appropriate for an author's website .
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My author web site focuses completely on the books. I have other sites to do other things, so if it is not related to the series in some way it does not go there. That is just my opinion on it.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Assuming that the objective of your web site is to promote yourself as an author, here's what I'd suggest:

List of Honors and/or Awards
Information on what kind of books you write
Biographical info
Blog (if desired)
Book covers and descriptions (with links to online retailers)
Free fiction samples
Mailing list (if desired)
Contact form

The first two are important to establish your brand as an author. The second two help to establish your identity as a human being. The fifth, sixth and seventh are for people who want to read your books (I cannot count the number of times I've visited an author's web site and failed to find any way to actually read what they'd written), and the final one is for people who want to interview you.

I cannot emphasize enough how very important a contact form is. A link to twitter or facebook is not sufficient. Not everyone uses them. Most of my anthology invites and a good number of my blog/podcast interviews have come through my contact form. Some of those people might have taken the trouble to get in touch with me through other means, but a good many of them would simply have shrugged their shoulders and moved on.

Web sites are a very personal matter, of course, so you should really do whatever you feel comfortable with. My opinion is just that -- an opinion, and what works for me may not be what works for others.

Whatever you decide to do with your web site, I'm sure it will be wonderful. Good luck!
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the feedback! I was doing the writer's advice bit with the first site. I think that's why I fired up a second one. And Nancy, thanks for your excellent list! I have included many of those things on my site but not all of them. That will be corrected. I think with the new site, I'll just wait to post something until I have something to say.
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert