Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
TonyGamble
Groupie
TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Buying books for T1 outside the Sony store

I have rooted my T1 and worked with Calibre.

With that combo I have loaded a selection of ebooks.

But I now want to load new books to my T1 whilst travelling without my PC.

I find the selection offered in the Sony store too limiting.

How do I work with the better stocked stores, please? Can I even buy from Kindle and convert the files on the T1 without the need for my PC?

Tony
TonyGamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGamble View Post
How do I work with the better stocked stores, please? Can I even buy from Kindle and convert the files on the T1 without the need for my PC?
Tony
Yes, it ain't brilliant.
Don't know what effect rooting has, but you can simply sign-up to any store that sells on-line and purchase as wanted.

And kindle books can't be loaded directly onto any third party reader, but [ "allegedly" ] can, of course, only be read on kindles due to DRM ........

I have heard of a site that has some information on DRM - I believe it might have been called Apprentice Alf's Blog or similar ......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:

Tony
There are lots of stores where you can buy epubs... Booksonboard, diesel-ebooks, Kobo, to name a few. Generally these sites offer better prices than Sony and you can download onto your reader with the browser and no need to convert from kindle format.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
TonyGamble
Groupie
TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyGamble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

carpet,

Thanks. I know about Alf, but that's associated with Calibre and a PC.

Chantal,

Those sites look far more use. Thanks. Do I need to load the Adobe software to the T1 or is it there already?

Tony
Old 09-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
carpet,

Thanks. I know about Alf, but that's associated with Calibre and a PC.

Chantal,

Those sites look far more use. Thanks. Do I need to load the Adobe software to the T1 or is it there already?

Tony
If you registered with Sony you should already be OK to load drm'd books onto your reader. For the Kobo site, make sure you look here in the Deals forums for the thread about Kobo coupon codes. There are always several listed so unless the book is still under agency pricing you should pretty much always be able to buy at a discount with these codes.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 09-22-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Unless you pack at least a netbook with you while travelling, purchases from Amazon won't be possible. I picked up a netbook last year before I went away for just $230 (Samsung NC110) and wouldn't be without it while travelling, if that fits into your budget as possible. Otherwise, I'd just load a surplus of books onto the reader so you won't run out while away. I never find myself in a position where I have to read "this particular book" right now. As long as I have good selections I can read, I can wait until I get home for the new book.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
TonyGamble
Groupie

Rip,

Sound advice of course.

It is just that it might be handy to pull down a title that was suggested by a current read.

I'll do some experimenting with the epub sites recommended - and come back if I have problems !!!

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Tony
Old 09-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Or, you can sign up for a library card and get books that way on your T1.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #9
TonyGamble
Groupie

Thanks J,

"you can sign up for a library card"

Not sure how prevalent these are in the UK. Any locals lurking with a view, pls.

Tony
Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
No. I think he means sign up for a library card in YOUR area and while you're away travelling, log into your public library through the Sony device & borrow an ebook to read while you're away. I doubt that you can get a library card as a visitor to a city. Libraries are usually funded by taxpayer money, which you would not be one of.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:31 AM   #11
TonyGamble
Groupie

Shopa,

Thanks. I had puzzled out that bit. Snag, as I found out looking for a library covering my part of London (UK) is that the system is much in its infancy in the motherland!

The more I look around the more I realise the answer is to put masses of potential reading on to the Sony and take advantage of the deals and offers as they emerge. However, it is still worth researching the way of downloading the odd title whilst travelling which might be recommended by circumstances or a fellow traveller.

Tony
Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
lmcread
Enthusiast
lmcread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Unless you pack at least a netbook with you while travelling, purchases from Amazon won't be possible. I picked up a netbook last year before I went away for just $230 (Samsung NC110) and wouldn't be without it while travelling, if that fits into your budget as possible. Otherwise, I'd just load a surplus of books onto the reader so you won't run out while away. I never find myself in a position where I have to read "this particular book" right now. As long as I have good selections I can read, I can wait until I get home for the new book.
on a scale of 1 to 10, on the know how of the world of ereaders , I am a ONE!
but learning.... just thinking ahead... if I was to travel.. without a computer...and no access to one......how will anyone be able to charge the T1 ?? say being on vacation from 2 to 3 weeks.
lmcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
TonyGamble
Groupie

"how will anyone be able to charge the T1 ?? "

Plug it into the mains.

That should put you into the two out of ten category now!

Tony
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
lmcread
Enthusiast
lmcread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
"how will anyone be able to charge the T1 ?? "

Plug it into the mains.

That should put you into the two out of ten category now!

Tony
haha hahaha ...no , i mean if on vacation without any access to computer...
if i only have the ereader.. how to charge it ?? (ps..not quite at two level yet)
lmcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
TonyGamble
Groupie

My Sony T1 has a cable that fits into the reader and at the other end I plug it into a 13 amp plug that has a USB socket. My 13 amp plug then goes into the mains.

If your holiday is somewhere without any electicity then there is a problem..

Tony