Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
harpangel36
Connoisseur
harpangel36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Searching for Books by Author

I have about 1,200 books in my calibre library. When I do a search for all books by a certain author, they highlight in the entire list of books and I have to scroll through to see each book by that author. Is there a way for it to just list only the books by that author?
harpangel36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Beside the searchbar there is a square with blue lines. Click on it and a red line will appear.
This should do it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@speakingtohe: OOOHHHH...

Thanks

I had always been going to the restrict too on the left hand side and selecting *current search
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@speakingtohe: OOOHHHH...

Thanks

I had always been going to the restrict too on the left hand side and selecting *current search
Welcome
The blue line thingy gets changed to uncrossed by the find duplicates plugin.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I always go the Tag Browser on the left hand side and select the author from the Authors list.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
I always go the Tag Browser on the left hand side and select the author from the Authors list.
You still get the same results as harpangel36 if the button is in the 'highlight' mode. Try it (nothing get harmed)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you can highlight a book in the book list by the author in whom you're interested, then Alt/A or right click->Similar Books->Books by the same Author will give similar result

Anyone know if the blue stripe, red slash button has a keyboard shortcut

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Anyone know if the blue stripe, red slash button has a keyboard shortcut
A list of calibre keyboard shortcuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpangel36 View Post
I have about 1,200 books in my calibre library. When I do a search for all books by a certain author, they highlight in the entire list of books and I have to scroll through to see each book by that author.
Others have answered your main question, but FYI, like most other highlighted search results in various apps you can go from one selection to the next selection by clicking f3 or n.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-12-2012 at 03:49 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
harpangel36
Connoisseur
harpangel36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I did find a trick under Preferences>Interface>Searching>UNCHECK "Highlight search results instead of restricting the book list to the results" Seems to work so far.
harpangel36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You still get the same results as harpangel36 if the button is in the 'highlight' mode. Try it (nothing get harmed)
I did a little experimenting, as suggested. I actually didn't know what the "highlight" mode box was for (always had the red line through it). So I always found it easier to find the author I wanted in the tag browser rather than type the info into the search bar (maybe just laziness ).

Thanks for the info! There is just soooo much to learn about Calibre.

Karen
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
Thanks for the info! There is just soooo much to learn about Calibre.

Karen
I have been using Calibre for years and there are still features that I am just discovering.
Then there are the many different ways (as you just discovered) to get a single result.

(Purpose: to get an idea of what is available)
Read those Balloon tips, that appear when you 'hover' over some area.
Right-click on things to see what the Context Menus offer
Explore all the menus to see what is there (and if you are really adventurous, open Preferences: Tweaks and read those descriptions )

Then Read the FAQ on the Calibre Help page
And as you have found, The forums here at MR
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote