Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #61
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
No, it was user error.
Spoiler:
I'm on vacation, but brought my desktop, because a friend who lived near here was going to give me some nice parts. (Nice meaning better than mine.) I recieved a new motherboard and bought a processor on ebay. my Windows XP install did not like that. It said I had 3 days to reactivate. i clicked through to the part where it was supposed to give you the code to call microsoft with, but the code never appeared. In a fit of rage, i wiped the HDD that contained Windows and used to contain Linux Mint, before i deleted Fedora and move my Linux Mint partition to the bigger HDD. A day later, i realized that I had lost the kindle images when wiping the windows HDD. I then went to use 2 recovery tools, both of which i thought didn't work. Then, of course, my whole X session crashes, and for some reason, my ttys are broken as well. I then reboot, and instantly find myself in an time warp to the past in which all of my favorite programs are gone, almost a clean install(linux mint). I promptly flip out, but then realize one or both of the recovery programs hs restored not only windows but my old linux mint install. This promptly confuses GRUB, which i spend hours rying to fix so i can boot into my newer install and get the rootfs images and then wipe the windows HDD again. Turns out, when you copy partitions with gparted, it copies the UUID as well.

TLDR: User error(go figure),identical UUIDS, windows, rage, etc.
If someone can tell me what the code is for spoilers, I would love to hide the above braindump. Also, I apologize for bad formatting, spelling, etc. (This is all from my K3.)

Last edited by qlob; 08-14-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added tldr,spoiler.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #62
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@qblob: Ouch.

And about the spoilers, surprisingly enough, it's spoiler, with the usual BBC brackets .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #63
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@qblob: Ouch.
And about the spoilers, surprisingly enough, it's spoiler, with the usual BBC brackets .
Hah thanks. I wasn't sure if it was spoil or spoiler.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #64
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I have a new-in-box K3 wifi, which I could suck an image from when I get time.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #65
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Oh, that would indeed be awesome. Finally a pristine image to go back to out-of-the-box mode.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #66
BrianG8
BrianG8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I second that! That would truly be Awesome!!
BrianG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #67
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Oh, that would indeed be awesome. Finally a pristine image to go back to out-of-the-box mode.
Obviously, I would change the /etc/shadow file to replace the root hash with a "mario" DES hash, but the rest of it could remain "factory fresh". We may need to extract a kernel from /dev/mmcblk0 too, but that is probably identical to what we already have.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #68
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I guess you should mangle (or omit) the section with the serial number, too. In the latest revision of k3flasher, I included a small shell script that will make backups of the distinct flash areas, including uboot & co, to separate images. You could use it for the offset&size info for those areas.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #69
qlob
Official Lurker

Sounds like the world really is against me. I just got into where my computer is, turned on the monitor, and realized that the uploading bar still said 0%. then, my computer crashed again, and now it can't find grub. My HDD does seem to be very hot. I'm going to let it cool down, and hope it's not ruined...
Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #70
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Sounds like the world really is against me. I just got into where my computer is, turned on the monitor, and realized that the uploading bar still said 0%. then, my computer crashed again, and now it can't find grub. My HDD does seem to be very hot. I'm going to let it cool down, and hope it's not ruined...
The HDD can get hot if it was "thrashing" (moving the read heads a lot due to cyclic cross-links created during in-place data recovery, if you did that). Data recovery can also create corrupted files if they were fragmented.

I suppose I need to unbox my new K3 soon to get a fresh image.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-15-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #71
qlob
Official Lurker

the recovered disk is a seperate disk...
I think i broke grub somehow..... Booting off of a flash drive gives me an error about not being able to mount on an unknown block.... my only chance for recovery here is to try and boot from my Windows cd and install windows, wipe everything else, and reinstall linux entirely.... I suppose i could commandeer another computer and try boot repair disk...
Old 08-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #72
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
the recovered disk is a seperate disk...
I think i broke grub somehow..... Booting off of a flash drive gives me an error about not being able to mount on an unknown block.... my only chance for recovery here is to try and boot from my Windows cd and install windows, wipe everything else, and reinstall linux entirely.... I suppose i could commandeer another computer and try boot repair disk...
You are proposing the "hard way" - -
Try SystemRescueCD first, it is built on a Linux LiveCD (ram resident system) and can also "fix" your windows partitions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #73
qlob
Official Lurker

Boot Repair is similar, basically it's just an Ubuntu live cd with boot-repair preinstalled. unfortunately, don't know if it will work, since my Inux mint 12 and 13 images both return with the error mentioned above... I have been able to boot the windows disc. I have not installed anything though. This computer doesnt have any OS able to boot into right now so I have to go use someone elses computer to download and burn the images. I'm also limited to CD only images thanks to my motherboard missing ports for my DVD drive...
Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #74
BrianG8
BrianG8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3G+WiFi
Any progress on this from anyone?
BrianG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #75
qlob
Official Lurker

Got home from vacation -- Will try uploading it tomorrow, if my schedule allows.

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3