Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Have you heard of this reader??

I am browsing my BigW catalogue and they have a MiGEAR 7inch ebook reader.
It has 2GB of built in memory, as well as you can use an SD card.
Also a 7inch colour TFT screen.
Supports PDF,TXT,EPUB,CHM,RTF,HTML, does not support DRM protected files.
Selling price is $98.00AU.

Just wondering what the TFT screen would be like.

Sorry this probably should be in ereader section, please feel free to move.

Last edited by Jcas; 09-22-2010 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Apology
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Well the best I have to compare it to is a reflective TFT like the Jetbook. But the Jetbook doesn't do color at all. Good contrast, not much glare, fast page turns with no flash.

How the color tft screen would do I have no idea. But with that format set and price it looks interesting.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
any links?

I'm always interested in over6 readers...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
http://www.lasoo.com.au/offer/electr...ource=homepage
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
thanks for the link.

8 hours of battery life. Is that typical of non e-ink readers?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Well its less than half of what the Jetbook or Jetbook light will do.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
This is a rebadged product from, I believe, a chinese OEM. I've seen this before with the monicker 'E003' or something.

Might be worth picking up though... It is a shame it isn't one of those 'Ebook reader and 1080p Video player' hybrids coming out of China now.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did anyone actually buy or test drive this reader? I've got a PB360 and a 7" reader under $100 sounds like a handy backup, especially since it reads HTML, my standard format.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
A Whirlpool thread with some mini reviews and first impressions:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1537766
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
At $96 USD that's a great price, you beat my price at $99USD. The only question is does is meet your needs and is it worth the price to you? At $96USD its a real steel.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I forgot to check out Whirlpool, thanks Viviena.

I was shocked on that thread, though, to read that they believe that Sony, Kindle and Kobo are their only option for a "good reader". I guess they haven't thought about looking overseas. I am so extremely happy with my PB360 that I recommend it to everyone who asks. It's one of my most favourite possessions.

I'm always on the lookout for bargains though, and $98AUD for a reader in Australia seemed way too good to be true. I don't think I'll bother.

For anyone who doesn't want to click the link and go through the thread over there..

Many, many people didn't do their research or read the packaging or advertising and bought one expecting it to read their DRM-protected files. In fact, most of those people didn't realise what DRM was to begin with. So the majority of the unhappy people are people who bought the device without understanding how it worked.

Other people are happy and think that for $98/$99 it was a good buy for a basic reader. It seems to read PDFs well and one guy mentioned that it read txt and epub books just fine (non-DRM'd EPUBs of course!).

The DRM-clueless people are complaining that you can ONLY read ILLEGAL content on them. They obviously have no idea where to buy non-DRM book and have never heard of fanfiction or free book sites.

In short, it sounds like an ok deal for a very basic reader. I think I'll wait for the new generation of Pocketbooks, though.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

I didn't buy this reader but my Sister did, she is not impressed with it, hence is giving it to me .

I won't be seeing her until next week but i will post comments when i try it.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:08 AM   #13
Jcas
Zealot

As promised i said i would let you know what this reader is like, i got it from my sister yesterday.

Mostly i say you get what you pay for, but not in this case.

It is awful to view, getting heaps of errors, shocking performance if battery is down a tad, it takes ages to load a page, in my opinion an absolute waste of money.