Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
joebloggs
joebloggs began at the beginning.

Device: None
E-Reader for Books24x7?

Hi everyone,

I am in the market for an E-Reader (based on e-Ink technology) which would allow me to browse pages on Books24x7.com. My work has a subscription to this site, and I have found it to be a great resource.

Obviously, to read pages on this site, I would need an E-Reader equipped with wifi or 3g capabilities. I would prefer both, but could settle for wifi capability only.

I have done some research by reading these forums and the E-Readers that seem to fit this bill is the iRex Iliad (1st edition, 2nd edition and DR1000 w/ wifi & 3g), and also the soon to be release Astek 9.6". Or perhaps even the next-generation Kindle (I'm not sure if this will have the wireless connectivity options that I need however).

Has anyone had any experience with E-Readers, especially for viewing pages on Books24x7. Are there any issues with how pages appear (e.g. how it fits on the screen, how e-ink handles the html display), compatability (e.g problems with handling javascript that may be embedded onto the page etc.). Although I would like other features such as multi-document support, touchscreen etc., my number one requirement at this stage is that it can be used to browse pages on Books24x7.

Thanks!

joebloggs
joebloggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Web browsing on eInk screens is, generally speaking, a pretty unrewarding experience. The very slow update speed of the screen doesn't really work at all well with most sites. Plus the fact that CONTINUAL use of WiFi is going to drain the battery in no time flat!

I think you'd be a lot better off with something like a Tablet PC for what you describe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Does ebooks24x7 let you export books? If I remember correctly (from when I had an account) you can, but only a chapter at a time. And the export was PDF.

I suggest you export the books, may take weeks doing a chapter at a time though... and then get an iRex iLiad or DR1000 which are large size readers and can display PDFs formated for 8.5x11 pages much better.

BTW: I tried to use O'Riley Safari with my Kindle and could not log in. I think they must have been using Java or Flash login. There is a thread about it here somewhere.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
they have mobile.books24X7.com. Looks serviceable.

How do you print a chapter at a time?
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
they have mobile.books24X7.com. Looks serviceable.

How do you print a chapter at a time?
I haven't been a member for a while, but this is from their web site:

Portable content lets users take the reading with them
Convenient options give users the ability access content while away from their computers. By being able to take the reading with them, users can take greater advantage of offline times such as their daily transit commute, business travel, while exercising at the gym or other down time.
Chapters to Go, a premium content feature, enables users to download chapter PDF files, including personal bookmarks and notes, for offline reading. Chapters to Go is an ideal option for users who repeatedly return to a specific chapter for information. Chapters to Go is an optional premium feature offered on a collection-by-collection basis or across your entire collection portfolio.
Additionally, select collections offer downloads included in the subscription cost. These downloads options include flash files for video, MP3 for audio and PDF for print.

BOb
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 01:58 AM   #6
joebloggs
joebloggs began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for the responses everyone. I primarily use Books24x7.com just to view html content. There is some content that you can download as pdf, mp3s (e.g. ExecSummaries), but the majority of available content needs to be viewed online.

I believe 'chapters to go' is not a free service but something you need to subscribe to and pay more for each chapter downloaded.

And yes, they have a PDA/Smartphone/Blackberry version of the site which is optimised for these devices (mobile.books24X7.com).

But I like using the normal site the most, however based on the responses so far it seems like e-Ink screens aren't really designed for always-on online browsing. In addition, Books24x7.com is frames-based, which can cause problems when viewed in some devices.
joebloggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
But I like using the normal site the most, however based on the responses so far it seems like e-Ink screens aren't really designed for always-on online browsing. In addition, Books24x7.com is frames-based, which can cause problems when viewed in some devices.
I think you can get a free trial account there. I'll get one (if I remember this weekend) and give it a wack on my Kindle and let you know how it goes. But, I don't have high hopes.

BOb