Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Demo PW-1 Jailbreak

Please do not ask **why** someone would want to Jailbreak a Demo PW-1 -
but here is how to do it:

Note: this PW-1 is still running the original, version 5.2.0 (demo) firmware, so having these search bar codes listed as "KT2" is a listing error.

Ref:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/KT2_Index#Demo_mode
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030 (for the 5.0 ... 5.4 JB)

All ';' commands are entered in the search bar of the HOME screen.

• ;exit_demo
    Stops that irritating screen ad flashing.
  • ;uzb
    Re-enable USB export on connection of cable to PC.
  • Connect Kindle to PC with USB cable
  • Follow the README file directions to side-load the JB files to the Kindle.
  • "safely remove" (eject) the Kindle
  • Remove USB cable
  • ;dsts
    Brings up the system 'settings'.
  • Tap the menu icon
  • Tap "Update Kindle"
  • Confirm you want to update
  • Wait for the ***JailBreak*** notice to appear at bottom of screen.
  • Done

Last edited by knc1; 12-30-2015 at 12:03 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Install KUAL to Demo PW-1

Install KUAL (from snapshots thread) -

Use ;uzb to export user storage on USB cable connect.
Side-load KUAL -2.0 per readme into /documents folder.
Eject and remove USB cable

Use ;dsts to reach the system settings, then the menu icon
Tap the 'Restart' (NOT 'Reset').
This restart will install the MKK keys, you will see messages at the bottom of the restart screens.

Last edited by knc1; 12-30-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Advert
Old 12-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral

Install MrPI and USBnet (for PW1)

Using the special search bar command to export the USB storage -
Then un-archiving MrPI went smoothly.

Put USBnet update_*.bin in mrpackages also.

Eject, remove cable -

Bring up KUAL, tap "install packages" -
Everything went as expected (from reading the installer's script) -
System restarted (? - well, maybe this package needed it ?)

Now hung with the restart progress bar at about 90% complete.

Time to get ahold of the MR helpdesk.
Oh, wait, that's me.
Phooey.

= = = =

I wrote and posted the above -
Reached over to pick up Kindle (and perhaps touched the screen in the process) -
And the 'home screen' appeared.
? ? ? ?

Hey, no law that the helpdesk can't get lucky.

Last edited by knc1; 12-30-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral

USB networking on (Demo) PW-1, fw5.2.0

Using the USBnet, KUAL interface, check status, toggle status, check status -
All looks good.

Then at the PC end, it seems to work:
Code:
core2quad ~ $ sudo ifup usb0:1

core2quad ~ $ ip addr
- - - -
4: usb0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether 02:9b:63:0c:2d:dc brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.15.201/16 scope global usb0:1
    inet6 fe80::9b:63ff:fe0c:2ddc/64 scope link 
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

core2quad ~ $ telnet 192.168.15.244
Trying 192.168.15.244...
Connected to 192.168.15.244.
Escape character is '^]'.

Welcome to Kindle!

#################################################
#  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  # 
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]#
(telnet because I haven't transfered my public key(s) for pubkey ssh auth yet.)

Hmm...
Now see how to replace that Demo firmware, it **should** be possible.
Note: I have not (yet) had to open the Kindle or resort to the serial port.

= = = =

the diags partition has neither sshd nor telnet installed.
Hmm....
I seem to recall that ixtab already built a diags image with sshd - will have to do some searching of MR dev corner.

= = = =

I just installed a fresh set of the files in 'main' - I could just copy what is needed into the 'diags' file system tree.

+ + + + +

Now I know why I am doing this -
This 'Demo' Kindle (PW-1) is my only PW-1 with 3G+WiFi

Last edited by knc1; 12-30-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, installing sshd & co on diags is a large part of what the Rescue Pack does behind the scenes .

(And my own snapshot builds indeed use my custom dropbear builds ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1 - repair many Kindle models
Successfully removed demo from PW1

Quote:
Note: this PW-1 is still running the original, version 5.2.0 (demo) firmware, so having these search bar codes listed as "KT2" is a listing error.

All ';' commands are entered in the search bar of the HOME screen.

• ;exit_demo
    Stops that irritating screen ad flashing.
  • ;uzb
    Re-enable USB export on connection of cable to PC.
  • Connect Kindle to PC with USB cable
  • Copied a Paperwhite 1 update package from computer to Paperwhite
    Quote:
  • Remove USB cable
  • ;dsts
    Brings up the system 'settings'.
  • Tap the menu icon
  • Tap "Update Kindle"
  • Confirm you want to update
  • Done
Instead of a doing jailbreak, I was able to remove the demo and get a stock Paperwhite 1 using the info given above. Thanks.

I'm a newby on this board and possibly some one else has already posted this elsewhere. But I stumbled upon the post above giving the ;uzb command to enable the USB port this morning and it was all I needed to get it out of demo and back to stock. I had found the ;dsts command before, but couldn't get fully out of demo.

Also checked, and when it was updated to current OS, the ;demo command was then accepted.

After the update is finished do a factory reset to remove the approximately 800MB of store demo files that will remain behind after getting out of demo mode.

For a PW3 all that is needed is the ;demo command, selecting resell. Then doing a factory reset to clean up.

Last edited by IFixKindles; 06-19-2016 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Add in instruction for factory reset and PW3
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Which PW-1 update?
Link please.

Because the ones I tried, where not installed.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see they don't list the earlier updates on Amazon for this any more. Luckily I had the previous updates saved on my computer. My demos were on 5.2. I installed
update_kindle_5.3.9.bin
update_kindle_5.4.4.2.bin
update_kindle_5.6.1.1.bin
Only the last is linked on Amazon, and I suspect you need the first two before the last will work.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFixKindles View Post
I see they don't list the earlier updates on Amazon for this any more. Luckily I had the previous updates saved on my computer. My demos were on 5.2. I installed
update_kindle_5.3.9.bin
update_kindle_5.4.4.2.bin
update_kindle_5.6.1.1.bin
Only the last is linked on Amazon, and I suspect you need the first two before the last will work.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1301
PW-2 is only the example, works for all Kindle models.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Demo -> Retail

Ref:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...29&postcount=6

Amazon Link:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...ndle_5.3.9.bin

Confirmed.
With demo firmware 5.2.0 (the most recent demo firmware for the PW-1), installing retail firmware 5.3.9 does the conversion from Demo to Retail.

The jailbreak bridge runs as expected, restoring the jail breaks.
I.E: The jailbreak is restored across the Demo -> Retail conversion.

Whoot!
A closed Kindle Demo -> Retail conversion.
The procedure above (with appropriate change to the retail firmware package version (the prior Jailbreak installation is optional)) should work on all "5.0 series" demo devices (K5 .. KV).

Last edited by knc1; 01-18-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:28 AM   #11
LPTesla38
LPTesla38 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
This is awesome! does anyone know if it will work with a PW2 demo unit? I have two and was attempting the serial port route, but the password generated off of the serial number did not work for either unit... aaaaand then I dropped one and caught the wire soldered for the TX pad on the way down and ripped the pad off the pcb. (oops) I still have one with a serial connection setup, but this would save me from digging at the pcb with a needle and conductive glue to get a serviceable connection on the damaged one.
LPTesla38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

It should work on any 5.x device.
Try it, the only thing that could go wrong is the shortcuts are not recognized and do nothing at all.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #13
IFixKindles
Connoisseur

It works on the PW 2. I've done a handful of units already.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:36 AM   #14
LPTesla38

well... it sort of worked for me. now I'm stuck again. I can get into the settings menu and I even managed to register it from the settings menu and it shows up in my amazon account. however the update button and the sync and check for items buttons are greyed out. any thoughts?

my serial starts with B05A and I'm version 5.4 firmware, I thought I was 5.2 but the device settings shows 5.4 so I'm going to try 5.4.4.2.bin and then 5.6.1.1.bin?

I can see the demo.bin file in the official build folder, and any .bin I put in there stays, however anything in the top folder vanishes whenever I disconnect the usb and plug it back in. I basically have a usable kindle at this point using the ;dsts command to be able to get the settings to work, but it's still annoying as hell to have it in demo mode. on mine ;exit_demo does not seem to be recognized as a command. I suppose at this rate I might as well just try the JB to see if that is recognized and allows the update button to be used. the original intent was a stock kindle however.

Last edited by LPTesla38; 03-26-2016 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:24 AM   #15
LPTesla38

is there a way to force an update from a folder that isn't the top directory? If I could do that I could just put it in the official build folder and force an update from there...