Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Charging habits and battery life?

I'm just curious what everyone's charging habits are with their T1.

Until recently, I would use my T1 for about 15 hours of usage before it would require a recharge. Then I would plug it into the AC adapter and let it charge over night. Read and repeat. I keep WiFi turned off, and rarely turn it on for a brief library return/download.

All of a sudden the battery is only lasting 1 book - maybe 4-6 hours. As far as I can tell, everything else is normal.

When I contacted Sony Support today, I was asked to reset and told to only let the T1 recharge for 2 hours on the AC adapter, or it begins to discharge.

However, Sony's own documentation says this only occurs with USB charging, not the AC adapter.
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1018506

Just curious what other's charging habits are, and if their battery has seen a decrease in life. I'm disappointed if this battery only lasts 5 months before heading into a downward spiral. My original Nook, which a friend bought, it still going strong years later.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
No, you've been given a bum steer there, Sony or not .......

It may discharge if left on the PC for a long time (overnight is not recommended, for example).

However, it's perfectly OK to leave it overnight, or similar length of time, on the AC charger. You can't overcharge these batteries, and it can't "discharge" on an AC adaptor.
Your problem is typical of a battery that's shot, which it sounds like yours is !
You can try a soft reset, but I don't think it'll help.

Tell 'em the battery's failed, they should simply replace it - it sounds like it's still in warranty.
Anyway, the goods were/are faulty, so sling it back at them !

(You could also recommend they get the relevant staff to read up about things they "help" customers with ....... )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
coolloser
Enthusiast
coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs-600,T2, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kindle 3G/PW4/PW5/O3
I left mine charging all night through my laptop and it didn't drain. I suspect the eventual drain from charging comes when the computer goes to sleep. My lappy powers the usb even when sleeping, so this makes sense to me. Either way; your battery sounds terrible, I would get it to Sony asap (hoping you still have warranty!).
coolloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I go for about a weekinbetween charges... read avg 2 hours a day use wi-fi for dropbox downloading... facebook... usually only 1 - 2 bars used... I don't lrt it get lower than 2 bats... had some weird things happen last time I let the battery run down.. charge it charge via usb 2 -3 hours to complete charge
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
The problem with using a PC is that funny things can happen anyway, not just when it nods off - very rarely, but I decided it aint worth the hassle.
And the AC jobs quicker, and more convenient for me, anyway.

Doing it my way seems to have "educated" my batteries on all my Sonys, and I get around a month on them (that's just reading, no comics, and for 2+ hours a day at least - and not a lot of wi-fi'ing, I already know it all ! )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

THere is no qualitative difference between the wall and usb charge except the wall charger is faster, if your pc/laptop has a standard usb and isn't set up to go into sleep or power saving mode after a specified idle period... just to be sure I have my laptop on ac power when charging ant device
Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I don't charge via PC - I use the AC adapter, usually overnight.

The online chat rep had me do a soft reset, which seems to have helped - this is a busy month at work so I haven't had much time to read to test it, but I still have battery life in standby after 10 days, which is better than before.

Unfortunatley, the soft reset also seems to have wiped the history of which book I was reading and where I was in it, so I have to figure that out.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
bla
E bookworm

I did an experiment by leaving the device plugged into the laptop and putting it in "sleep" mode.. there was no "discharge so I would suggest that the "discharge" is an urban mythand it really indicates a dodgy battery or that something is running on the device in the background when the device is plugged into the pc... the idea that the pc would draw current from the device via usb always struck me as being rather far fetched