Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
mentallyinspired
mentallyinspired began at the beginning.

Device: cobook odyssey or sony prs-t1
Cybook odyssey vs Sony prs-t1

Greetings (Old fashioned? Alien?)

I have decided to buy a ebook reader, as I am a very heavy reader and I have simply run out of wall space for paper books.

I have a large collection of PDF books (mostly non-fiction, without charts and what have you.)
I would not mind converting the PDF files to epub format, as long as arabic is supported, and the ability to "go to page" remains?

My requirements are:
sd-card slot (which both have)
Arabic support?
Good PDF support, but i can convert to epub if needed.

My reading list is mostly academic and language orientated, I will do my note taking in a notebook, so I do not reacquire any note taking capability.

I love the reading on paper books, and would like to keep the experience as close as possible (in regard to visual)

All suggestions and recommendations are welcome.
/Mentallyinspired
mentallyinspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm afraid the Sony PRST1 will not display epubs in any right-to-left language. Although the characters can be made to display with a custom font, they will display backwards, i.e left-to-right.

The PRST1 should be able to read an Arabic PDF, however you may not enjoy the experience on any of the 6" ereaders. Some PDFs are bearable and some are not because they have usually been designed to be read on paper, e.g. at A4 size. It depends on each particular PDF. You can often make them more bearable by using one of the free PDF cropping utilities for the PC to get rid of the useless white margins. The PRST1 does have a rudimentary cropping option but it's not wonderful.

On a slightly more positive note, if most of your PDFs are 2-column or 3-column then the PRST1 does have additional features for displaying them. It also has the ability to adjust contrast which can improve legibility.

Just for additional info, I recently bought an Android smartphone and was surprised to find that some of the Android apps are actually better for reading PDFs than any of my e-ink devices, even though the phone's screen is smaller. I'm sure that reading PDFs on a tablet, 7" or above, is even better.

I don't know anything about the Cybook but if you don't get an answer here then I would suggest you ask a specific question about Arabic in the Cybook forum where a current owner may be able to advise you.

P.S. Welcome to MobileRead

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-02-2012 at 08:26 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only sensible way to display such books is with a large-screen device such as an iPad or equivalent Android tablet. As has been said, no 6" device will display them properly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
mentallyinspired
mentallyinspired began at the beginning.

Device: cobook odyssey or sony prs-t1
Thank you for your answer.
hmm, this is quit problematic, although the majority of my books are in English, a substantial amount is in Arabic. I can understand that there would be some problems on a 6" tablet would pose some problems, and that is why I am ready to spend time converting them to epub, but if it is as you have described, that would be time spent for nothing in regards to the Sony.

Similarly to Sony, the Cybook odyssey only supports Arabic in PDF (which I have just learnt)

In regards to ipda, I did own a ipad 1 once upon a time, but I can not say that it was good for my eyes. If an ipad is my only viable option, then I rather buy a android tablet, but I would like to avoid that, as my eyes would like otherwise.

Should I make a new thread, requesting help in finding a tablet with Arabic support ?
mentallyinspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, lcd is not that bad, when brightness can be setted properly.

As for pdf I found that some worked better on the odyssey, other worked better on the T1.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert