Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
RachelFlores
RachelFlores began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Adobe Digital Editions and Calibre

I am a total newbie to ereaders. Do you really need both of these programs to read epub books? Can I just use one of them? Do I have to use the Kobo software AND one of these programs or can I just use one program for downloading, uploading and organizing all my future books. I plan on buying/downloading from several sources including libraries but would LOVE to only have one place that holds and organizes my books.
RachelFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Adobe Digital Editions will do it all.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
You will need ADE to use DRM ePubs (not kepubs). I find it easiest to just use ADE.

I do use Calibre to convert formats but don't use it to manage my library.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
ADE is pretty good and that's all you need. I prefer ADE but my computer is up and running again and it runs Linux Ubuntu and I'm sick of mucking around trying to get a windows program to work on it so I deleted it and I just use Calibre now and I used a command to force the Kobo desktop to work on Linux and I use that too.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
RachelFlores
RachelFlores began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thank you, I've downloaded ADE.
RachelFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Adobe Digital Editions will do it all.

ltr
If you want to organise your books, then you'll probably outgrow ADE quickly - it has very limited functionality compared to Calibre.

But if you want to buy books which have DRM, or borrow books from the library, then you will need to use ADE to download the book.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
ADE I always get mad at Calibre and then delete it
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do not buy any ePub from B&N or Apple. They use a different DRM that is not compatible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
can ADE sync with the kobo? i haven't tried yet since when i loaded calibre first i saw that it could sync easily and load books right onto the internal memory and didn't have to use an sd card.
if ADE can do that then i'll def switch to that.

one thing i noticed is if you have a pdf instead of an epub the kobo puts it in the magazine category automatically so i convert them with calibre to epub then send it to the kobo just to keep things organized.
if it is a mag then leave it as a pdf, i have popular photography magazines i like to browse through.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
ADE (adept) works fine with Kobo--but not as a sync. Plug your reader in using the USB port, choose 'manage', and then drag the book from ADE onto the Kobo icon. Only kepub books sync.

iBook and B&N versions of ADE, as stated above, do not work with anything but their respective readers. ADE through the Sony store, Kobo, and many other places works just fine. Be sure that you have only 1 ADE account set up. You can only have one ADE account registered on your Kobo at one time. I learned this the hard way when I thought it would be easier to register another ADE account rather than ask Adobe to reset my authorizations.

Last edited by taming; 03-14-2011 at 01:14 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
ADE (adept) works fine with Kobo--but not as a sync. Plug your reader in using the USB port, choose 'manage', and then drag the book from ADE onto the Kobo icon. Only kepub books sync.

iBook and B&N versions of ADE, as stated above, do not work with anything but their respective readers. ADE through the Sony store, Kobo, and many other places works just fine. Be sure that you have only 1 ADE account set up. You can only have one ADE account registered on your Kobo at one time. I learned this the hard way when I thought it would be easier to register another ADE account rather than ask Adobe to reset my authorizations.
ahh thanks for the info, will give it a go tonight and see what happens.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
NiceyDoodle
NiceyDoodle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I just found this forum as I was having an issue with my Kobo, I just called them to have it sent in for repairs. However, this forum is opening doors to me. I have ADE as I owned a pdf and wanted it on my Kobo. I have a feeling that I am not using my Kobo to its full potential.

So, Calibre is just like ADE?
NiceyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
So, Calibre is just like ADE?
Like a Cadillac is like a Lada.

You do still require ADE for library books.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
This brings up a question. I am new to eReading and Kobo as well and have been used ADE. I was wondering if, assuming I wanted to buy from Amazon, Calibre, which I have not downloaded or used yet, would convert the Amazon book to ePub. I doubt I will ever need to do that because I'll try to focus on library ePubs and Gutenberg and Feedbook ePubs. If there is something new that I want to buy, B&N, Borders, or Kobo will probably have it. I was just wondering if I had the option, though.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
This brings up a question. I am new to eReading and Kobo as well and have been used ADE. I was wondering if, assuming I wanted to buy from Amazon, Calibre, which I have not downloaded or used yet, would convert the Amazon book to ePub.
You can't do it directly. Amazon's books are protected with their own DRM, which Calibre on its own cannot decode. There are tools available which will remove the DRM, but these are not discussed or referenced directly on MR forums, probably due to their questionable legality in some jurisdictions. However, if you do ever need it, there are several threads giving hints on how you can locate these tools.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote