Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #16
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Mercedes Lackey.

At first, I tried to take Valdemar seriously, and spent way too much time facepalming over the nonsensical politics and economics, the convoluted and handwavy magic, the way her characters have about 5 main personalities and can't be distinguished without heavy accents, and the really weird attitude towards romance. Oh, and how the 'heroes' are lauded for kidnapping and brainwashing kids and teens. All the villains are rapists, or at least bigots.

Now I read them as satires on the romantic fantasy genre (also, deleted most of the rape scenes. Hurray ebooks!). From that angle, they're excellent and hysterical.

I gave up on Salvatore, although I still read my favorites of his, and Nancy Drew, and never got into Shannara. But I keep coming back to Mercedes Lackey because she's found the perfect formula for distilled essence of romantic fantasy and it's both great and terrible. Her writing's really improved over the years too - the 500 Kingdoms series is mostly decent.

I think some books are like sugar cookies. They've got no nutritional value and there's nothing unique about them, but sometimes nothing else will do.

Last edited by Rbneader; 02-21-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #17
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
This is the companion thread to "Ever put down a book because you were afraid of what would happen?" Let's see the other side of things

Have you ever kept reading a book, or maybe even a series, despite knowing what (probably) was going to happen, despite knowing that you wouldn't like it?

As one reviewer on Amazon, on one of the later Shannara books said: "I don't want to see a blasted Ohmsford ever again!" He is right. The series spans hundreds of years (at least over 1,000) at this point, and since the very first book, it's always the same. The world needs to be saved, and it can only be done by an Ohmsford. The Ohmsford is always supported by a Leah sidekick, some Elessedil royal family member plays an important role, and there's a Druid involved to get the quest started. After 25-ish books or so, this gets very tiring.
Anyone else still reading stuff, despite knowing better?
Guilty as charged. I once said on this very forum that I am guilty of reading too many fantasy books by authors named Terry. Brooks and Goodkind to be specific. Pratchett gets a pass because he's brilliantly funny.

I've read 20 Shannara books (and the six books from The Magic Kingdom of Landover). The saving grace is the last two series I read were reasonably different. I stopped after The Genesis of Shannara trilogy. The Word and the Void was quite enjoyable and Genesis was quite enjoyable and brings you to the origin of the world. I can't say that I didn't enjoy the reads. I did. I started reading when I was in my teens, but I'm glad I stopped too. I probably won't pick up the rest. It served it's purpose, but my reading has moved on.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Nancy Drew wasn't in high school. She just drove around in her roadster, shopped, went on vacations, and helped run the household. She would happily abandon anything else when she happened upon a mystery.
Have you ever looked at any of the modern "Nancy Drew" series? In one of them (the "Clue Crew" series) she's 8 years old .

Eg:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-Camp.../dp/B00CWE8PEK

The young granddaughter of a friend of mine is a big fan. I don't read them myself. Honest .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #19
BretSingleton
Enthusiast
BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well i'm also currently reading Shannara by Terry Brooks and it's a good story.
BretSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #20
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Which of the 27 or so Shannara books are you reading?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #21
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you ever looked at any of the modern "Nancy Drew" series? In one of them (the "Clue Crew" series) she's 8 years old .

Eg:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-Camp.../dp/B00CWE8PEK

The young granddaughter of a friend of mine is a big fan. I don't read them myself. Honest .
I'm a purist. I consider the first 56 books of the series as the canon. These were the hardcovers published by Grosset & Dunlap. After that, the series and the character went off in all sorts of directions, with spin-offs (featuring both younger and older, college-age Nancys), such that there was little attempt at consistency between the series. And the main series began to have so many different ghostwriters--new Nancys were being published every few months, instead of just one or so a year--that it too lost a lot of consistency from book to book.

In those first 56 books, Nancy started out as 16, but her age was quickly bumped up to 18, where she stayed perpetually.

I've sampled a book or two from the spin-offs and read a few dozen of the main series books beyond the first 56. They seem very generic, a bunch of impostors masquerading as Nancy and her chums.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree. I collect turn of the 20th century children's books, so that includes things like Tom Swift, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, etc.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #23
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So you actually _do_ read Nancy Drew....

Yeah, yeah I know, only the older ones. Honest.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #24
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
I agree. I collect turn of the 20th century children's books, so that includes things like Tom Swift, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, etc.
I collect later girls' series books: Cherry Ames, Connie Blair, Judy Bolton, Vicki Barr. I have a handful of Shirley Flight and Sally Baxter books from the UK too. Nancy Drew isn't my primary interest, but I do have original text versions of the first 56.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #25
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I can't seem to quit Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, even though books 2 through 22 are just variations of the first book. Stephanie's car is always destroyed by one of the bail jumpers she's chasing, her grandmother is attending a funeral for the cookies and gossip, Lula will wear at least one article of clothing described as "poison green", Stephanie can't decide between Ranger and Morelli, etc, etc. At least I get them from the library now instead of buying them.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #26
Jane Oldaker
Groupie
Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung G3 Tablet, Kobo Vox
Len Deighton - a trilogy of trilogies. Bernard Cornwell.....Neither got tired for me.
Jane Oldaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:50 AM   #27
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
The Midkemia stuff by Feist went off the rails a bit in the middle but I stuck with it and rather enjoyed the final series.

I didn't particularly like books 5 and 6 of The Dark Tower series by King but finished the series anyway. Book 7, the ending, had problems but was good overall.

I used to always finish books and even series but now if I'm not liking it I almost never finish one.

The exception is my current audiobook.........Battlefield Earth by L Ron Hubbard. It's just so terribly awful, and I mean so eye searing, mind blowingly bad, that I feel compelled to finish it. It's become a vendetta that I must not lose! I simply must not allow it to defeat me!
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
The exception is my current audiobook.........Battlefield Earth by L Ron Hubbard. It's just so terribly awful, and I mean so eye searing, mind blowingly bad, that I feel compelled to finish it. It's become a vendetta that I must not lose! I simply must not allow it to defeat me!
I love it. One of my very favourite Space Opera books. I must have read it half a dozen times. Just goes to show that we all have different likes and dislikes.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I love it. One of my very favourite Space Opera books. I must have read it half a dozen times. Just goes to show that we all have different likes and dislikes.
Maybe the book itself is great, but the audiobook version is bad. That's also a possibility
Old 03-16-2016, 03:19 PM   #30
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Sure does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami
Maybe the book itself is great, but the audiobook version is bad. That's also a possibility
Nope, it's definitely the book! lol
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote