Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Aybara
Aybara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Sony Reader to Kindle 2?

Has anyone gone from a Sony Reader to the Kindle?

Was it worth it? My wife wants a reader, and she wants a Kindle 2.

I currently have a Sony Reader, and if she gets a Kindle, I am trying to decide if I want to as well. Mainly for the ability to share books (we read a lot of the same things). But she does not want the Sony one, no matter how hard I try.

So I am looking for input from current Kindle users, or people who have switched.

Size differences, interface differences, etc.
Aybara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aybara View Post
So I am looking for input from current Kindle users, or people who have switched.

I went from the Sony 500 to the Kindle 1. I feel the Kindle is a much better machine and the content selection and pricing is infinitely better. However, I had zero $ investment in the Sony store. I had got all my ebooks either free or in a format that I could liberate and convert for the Kindle.

The screen and speed was a big improvment over the 500... but the 505 does have the same Vizplex screen which the Kindle has.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
we have both, I've found no reason for me to switch from the Sony to the Kindle, in fact we have had less trouble with the Sony, and with a promotion I was able to get the Sony for $199
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Why not get a Kindle2 for your wife and then you can see how you like it compared to the Sony? Then make a decision whether you want to buy a second one for yourself?

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:41 AM   #5
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Went from Sony 500 to Kindle 1, and now have a K2 on order. No contest. Kindle over Sony in a heartbeat.
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aybara View Post

Was it worth it? My wife wants a reader, and she wants a Kindle 2.

I currently have a Sony Reader, and if she gets a Kindle, I am trying to decide if I want to as well. Mainly for the ability to share books (we read a lot of the same things). But she does not want the Sony one, no matter how hard I try.

If you have a 505, stick with it. You can purchase eBooks for the K2 (in AZW), remove the DRM and easily convert to LRF using Calibre. It's a win-win for both. But, if you have the 500, then you'll like the K2 better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:28 AM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Had a 505. Switched to the Kindle and couldn't be happier. Tons of (good) book options outside the public domain at much better prices.

Kindle 1's screen isn't QUITE as good (minute difference) but Kindle 2's looks to be the equal of the Sony.

At any rate... JSWolf's idea isn't bad but more and more books I'm buying are ending up in topaz format (which currently can't be cracked.)

But, if that's not your bag... I'd definitely go the way of the new Kindle.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I had both. I still have the PRS-505 and using it exclusively because I sold my Kindle1 on Feb 9th and ordered the Kindle 2. I've had the PRS-505 10 months before I decided to get a Kindle; that's the reason I was able to sell it so quickly it was barely 3 months old. For the 3 months I owned the K1, the best thing over the Sony for me is the Whispernet. I don't buy books using it for I always use the computer to buy books but did use whispernet for book delivery instead of sending them to my computer. I love that part. For book selection, it depends on what you read, I've always been able to find my books if a ebook version exist in all the online stores. Sometimes amazon prices are better but not always; I've been able to far to get enough coupons monthly to buy books wherever I want. For personal preference, I definitely prefer the PRS-505 for 3 reason: 1) the form factor: I like the thinness and it feels so light, even with the cover and it looks so sleek. That might change when I get my K2 on March 2. 2) I like the way the Sony keeps track of the pages. I for 1 reads book for mine enjoyment and like to know how many pages I have left to read in the font of my choice. 3) I love the History section in the book. I've demonstrated my reader a couple of times and forgot to bookmark and lost my page, but when I go to History for that book it tells me the last 100 pages I read and I can see where there's a discrepancy. The Sony users will know what I'm talking about.

The question is, would I give up my PRS-505 for the Kindle, the answer would be no. But I think the Kindle is a perfect compliment to the PRS-505 if you can afford both. If you can't, just go with the one you like best and you won't go wrong.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Kindle 1's screen isn't QUITE as good (minute difference) but Kindle 2's looks to be the equal of the Sony.
I thought that the Kindle 1, Kindle 2, and Sony 505 were using the exact same screen. Different controllers, so they differ in refresh speed and number of grey shades.

(The device casing color and screen font also impact perceptions of the screen.)

Last edited by bwaldron; 02-19-2009 at 12:54 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I thought the K2 screen was supposed to be a little sharper?
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
bookman
bookman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
I have a Kindle 1 and DH has Sony 505. It is like having the best of both worlds. As a female I prefer the ease of downloading via whispernet on the Kindle. I am betting your wife would feel the same. This can not be under estimated. I say have both and both will be happy!

bookman
bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have a kindle 1 and am interested in a Sony to download library books. However, I need to finish the 21 pages on my kindle first!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I have a kindle 1 and am interested in a Sony to download library books. However, I need to finish the 21 pages on my kindle first!
Is there a problem downloading library books on your Kindle?

Not anymore! You will need the mobipocket format......

click on the linky.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've tried both the 500 and the Kindle 1 and greatly prefer the Kindle, but it really boils down to personal tastes.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
raccemup
raccemup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKat View Post
I thought the K2 screen was supposed to be a little sharper?
My understanding:

K1 = 4 shades of gray
Sony = 8 shades of gray
K2 = 16 shades of gray

The K2 will be much better in terms of pictures and contrast. However, I believe that for just plain text, the difference would be almost undetectable between the three. If I am wrong, some please correct.
raccemup is offline   Reply With Quote