Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
setherd
Sleep Tech
setherd began at the beginning.

Device: andorid, nook simple touch
Are there problems with switching to default install directory on linux?

I run Linux Mint 16 using Calibre.

For a while now I've used my own script to update calibre.

Code:
#/bin/sh

killall calibre
python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main(install_dir='/home/seth/calibre-prog')"
I can keep doing this. But I was thinking maybe just doing things the default way may be better with the changes in 1.26???

If I just downloaded the installer and ran it would it be a clean install and know nothing of my databases?

Any advantages to using it the default way?

thanks!
setherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre settings are kept in the config directory ("$HOME/.config/calibre"). It doesn't matter where you install the program binaries, $CALIBRE_CONFIG will still be set to that by default. Although storing them in /opt is less messy than having them in your home directory, I'd think....

Why are you storing root-owned files in your home folder anyway?? The only reason I keep my calibre binaries in my home directory is because I am a non-root user on a school computer system.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
setherd
Sleep Tech
setherd began at the beginning.

Device: andorid, nook simple touch
I didn't have a /opt directory and I didn't want to create one just for Calibre. Silly I know. Also I didn't know there was a config file in my home directory. If I was doing a clean install of Linux i wipe everything but my home directory.

thanks for the info!
setherd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux