Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #16
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I'm still rooted from 1.0.1.......and am happy where I'm at, rather not deal with more changes at this point.......is there really any reason to go further with 1.1, and clockwork mod (whatever that is)

I've just been using mine as a.......reader, with lite surfing.......love aldiko too......
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #17
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
I'm with you, Joker. Got my rooted color just how I like it. Doesn't look like the changes that come from the 1.1 are worth the effort (and the possibility that I will make a mistake and ruin my little friend.) I am also curious about the replies you receive to your post.
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #18
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
I am pretty content with my rooted 1.0.1 and don't really see any reason to change it at this point. As long as it doesn't auto update to 1.1 I will keep it as is for now. Unless someone can give me some pretty compelling reasons to update and re-root that is lol. Never say never.
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I was waiting for you to check-in. Glad all is well.
Thanks. I got so wrapped up in this thing I lost track of time for awhile there. I still can't get Ultimate Keyboard to work but it didn't work before I upgrades so it's a wash. Still lovin' it.
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniren View Post
I am pretty content with my rooted 1.0.1 and don't really see any reason to change it at this point. As long as it doesn't auto update to 1.1 I will keep it as is for now. Unless someone can give me some pretty compelling reasons to update and re-root that is lol. Never say never.
The only real reason to update is if you want to. If you just read books and do the occasional surfing the 1.0 is probably just fine. I always look at what Im getting when I do something like this and, in this case, I was looking for the last read icon to work again and the read in store option. One does, haven't tried the other but my curiosity is satisfied for now. If you don't want to, you don't have to.
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #21
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Fans of read-in-store might want to upgrade, but that's the only new feature in 1.1 for rooted nooks. I use that heavily, but most people don't. (Either because they are not near a store or not interested).

Since it also changes how wifi works -- 1.1 may fix some people's issues (making the upgrade worth it), or break others' (making it worse!).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #22
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I am expecting a nook any day now, my first! If the software is not the latest, making it 1.0.1 I think, what is the consensus? Root it at the current version or do the update first?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #23
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I am expecting a nook any day now, my first! If the software is not the latest, making it 1.0.1 I think, what is the consensus? Root it at the current version or do the update first?
There's no reason not to update and then root. The latest auto root method is for the latest B&N update (1.1.0).
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #24
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
There's no reason not to update and then root. The latest auto root method is for the latest B&N update (1.1.0).
Thankyou SCION - have read lots of good stuff about your helpfulness on this forum.

Now all I need is the nook....it is close by, just waiting customs clearance right now and then a 15 minute drive to collect it.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #25
tmwwjd
tmwwjd began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
What is rooting? Why do you want to root your color nook?
tmwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:11 AM   #26
Pushka
Wizard

An update from me. I have my nook, it has been registered, updated, rooted, and a few apps and books installed. A good days work!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #27
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
An update from me. I have my nook, it has been registered, updated, rooted, and a few apps and books installed. A good days work!
Fantastic !!!!

Updates us on your apps too.....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #28
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Fans of read-in-store might want to upgrade, but that's the only new feature in 1.1 for rooted nooks.
Doesn't the last page read work along with the last files/books opened? I didn't like not having those when I was rooted before. I also like being able to have my B&N books on the home screen, but I liked being able to put my side loaded books on the home screen while rooted. Can you do both now with the 1.1 update and the new autonooter?
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #29
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Doesn't the last page read work along with the last files/books opened? I didn't like not having those when I was rooted before. I also like being able to have my B&N books on the home screen, but I liked being able to put my side loaded books on the home screen while rooted. Can you do both now with the 1.1 update and the new autonooter?
With 1.1, last page read is much more consistent; and the bottom "reading" button works much more reliably.

Unless an alternate home screen is used, 1.1 does NOT enable putting non B&N books (sideloaded) on the B&N home screen.

One thing to note - if you root w/ the autonooter ver 3 (for 1.1), there are 2 issues: read in store MAY not be fixed (there are reports that autonooter 3 breaks read in-store) and if you ever wanted to use Clockwork recovery (used for flashing roms, or overclocked kernels or making ROM backups), it does NOT work properly.

I believe the most reliable way to "root" and have 1.1 is to:
1 - update NC to 1.0.1
2 - set up wifi
3 - run autonooter 2.25
4 - setup Youtube; gmail; market
5 - download ROM Manager from Market
6 - run Rom manager and have it install clockwork recovery
7 - download 1.1 rooted zip and put on SD card
8 - run Rom Manager and tell it to boot into clockwork recovery
9 - when clockwork recovery runs, find the option to install zip from sd card, then select the 1.1 rooted zip you downloaded in step 7;
10 - "profit" (all done!)
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #30
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
With 1.1, last page read is much more consistent; and the bottom "reading" button works much more reliably.

Unless an alternate home screen is used, 1.1 does NOT enable putting non B&N books (sideloaded) on the B&N home screen.

One thing to note - if you root w/ the autonooter ver 3 (for 1.1), there are 2 issues: read in store MAY not be fixed (there are reports that autonooter 3 breaks read in-store) and if you ever wanted to use Clockwork recovery (used for flashing roms, or overclocked kernels or making ROM backups), it does NOT work properly.

I believe the most reliable way to "root" and have 1.1 is to:
1 - update NC to 1.0.1
2 - set up wifi
3 - run autonooter 2.25
4 - setup Youtube; gmail; market
5 - download ROM Manager from Market
6 - run Rom manager and have it install clockwork recovery
7 - download 1.1 rooted zip and put on SD card
8 - run Rom Manager and tell it to boot into clockwork recovery
9 - when clockwork recovery runs, find the option to install zip from sd card, then select the 1.1 rooted zip you downloaded in step 7;
10 - "profit" (all done!)
Thanks. I should basically just root it like I did before then. I prefered the stock home and reader which is why I unrooted. But I want a different browser so I have been thinking of re-rooting.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote