Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
JoshMorris05
JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Who Else LOVES Self Growth Books?

Hey, I thought I would start a thread on self growth books 1. Because I love them, 2. I know the amazing value that they give others, and 3. It would be great to have one place for all your favourite recommendations.

Self growth includes anything thats fiction or non fiction relating to growth and development of the self, happiness, psychology, motivation, etc.

Here are a few I have just finished or am reading, and I highly recommend.

The Alchemist (Fiction, but strongly related to growth) - Paulo Choelo

Flow: The psychology of optimal Experience - Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

The Charge - Brendon Burchard

What are some of your recommendations. I love finding out more self growth books to read myself, and if we all contribute then everyone will have more ways to read and grown.

Josh
JoshMorris05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMorris05 View Post
Hey, I thought I would start a thread on self growth books 1. Because I love them, 2. I know the amazing value that they give others, and 3. It would be great to have one place for all your favourite recommendations.

Self growth includes anything thats fiction or non fiction relating to growth and development of the self, happiness, psychology, motivation, etc.

What are some of your recommendations. I love finding out more self growth books to read myself, and if we all contribute then everyone will have more ways to read and grown.

Josh
Heck, "me too."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Worthwhile thread; I'm in.

Relationships:
General:

Last edited by Froide; 06-15-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Josh
Hi Josh:
Thanks for starting this thread and for sharing your recommendations.

Hello Josh, Frahse, et. al.:
It would be helpful if all participants in this thread would please include links to the books they recommend or discuss here.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
jandrew
Zealot
jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
(this thread probably belongs in the Reading Recommendations section)

At any rate, here’s a couple:
  • Zen Heart: Simple Advice for Living with Mindfulness and Compassion (Ezra Bayda)
  • The Wise Heart: A Guide to the Universal Teachings of Buddhist Psychology (Jack Kornfield)
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Hi Josh:
Thanks for starting this thread and for sharing your recommendations.

Hello Josh, Frahse, et. al.:
It would be helpful if all participants in this thread would please include links to the books they recommend or discuss here.
My first one was the "Boy Scout" manual!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #7
Kasper Hviid
Zealot
Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have tried some, but never managed to finish any.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective People - not finished, but what I have read is good, even if it is a bit preachy at times and is founded on being "effective" inside the capitalist system.

I once tried reading The Celestine Prophecy, but quickly threw the book away in utter disgust.

Success Secrets of Sherlock Holmes: Life Lessons from the Master Detective argues that the behavior of Sherlock Holmes serves as life lessons, hidden within an ordinary whodunnit. What I have read of this one had been interesting enough, albeit often somewhat self-evident. I think this book is better if seen as a examination of Sherlock Holmes than as self-growth advice.
Kasper Hviid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
JoshMorris05
JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoshMorris05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great recommendations guys, thanks so much.

Another couple I forgot:

How to win friends and influence people: Dale Carnigie

Getting things done: David Allen
JoshMorris05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author

I have given my children a copy of "As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen.

A "blest" uncle gave me a copy.

Last edited by frahse; 06-26-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Quote:
How to win friends and influence people: Dale Carnigie
I agree with that one. I bought it used at a workplace, mine is really old. A colleague there said it was good. With the funny title I thought I'd have fun ridiculing the book when I would read it, and when I read it I was really amazed. It short the author is really good at explaining the negative effects our words and behaviors have on people, and it made me change for the better I think.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:19 AM   #11
Froide
Wizard

Last edited by Froide; 06-30-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #12
Kasper Hviid
Zealot
Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found a few relevant books on gutenberg.org. I have not read any of them so you have to discover for yourself if its worth your time:

Assimilative Memory by A. Loisette 1899
How to Read Human Nature: Its Inner States and Outer Forms by Atkinson
How to Analyze People on Sight by Elsie Lincoln Benedict and Ralph Paine Benedict
How to Add Ten Years to your Life and to Double Its Satisfactions by S. S. Curry
How to Cook Husbands by Elizabeth Strong Worthington
Modern marriage and how to bear it by Maud Churton Braby
Self Mastery Through Conscious Autosuggestion by Emile Coué
The Practice of Autosuggestion by C. Harry Brooks
Memory: How to Develop, Train, and Use It by William Walker Atkinson
The Art of Logical Thinking; Or, The Laws of Reasoning by William Walker Atkinson
How to Read Human Nature: Its Inner States and Outer Forms by William Walker Atkinson
Practical Mind-Reading by William Walker Atkinson
How to be Happy Though Married by Edward John Hardy
A Guide to Men: Being Encore Reflections of a Bachelor Girl by Helen Rowland
The Young Man's Guide by William A. Alcott
Power of Mental Imagery by Warren Hilton
How to Live on 24 Hours a Day by Arnold Bennett
A Practical Guide to Self-Hypnosis by Melvin Powers
Your Mind and How to Use It: A Manual of Practical Psychology by Atkinson
How to Get Strong and How to Stay So
Telling Fortunes By Tea Leaves: How to Read Your Fate in a Teacup by Cicely Kent
Practical Psychomancy and Crystal Gazing by William Walker Atkinson - Some crystal gazing instructions in Lesson II.
How to Read the Crystal by Sepharial - skimming this book, it looks like it is filled with superstitious nonsense, instead of just telling how crystal gazing works.

Last edited by Kasper Hviid; 07-03-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Kasper Hviid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 AM   #13
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Now that I think about it:

Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life by Thomas Moore, and his other books as well.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #14
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I especially enjoyed Oliver Burkeman's The Antidote, which is kind of a self help book against self help books, at least against those that don't work and make you unhappy by trying to make you change into someone you cannot be.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antidote-Hap...6146171&sr=1-1

Tim Parks' Teach Us To Sit Still is his gripping story about dealing with inexplicable chronic pain and learning to let go with meditation. Really convinced me to try that myself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teach-Us-Sit...s+to+sit+still
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote