Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Can I get 0.6.2 and 0.7.1 on the same computer?

I have two novels I started and am finishing up on 0.6.2. And I'd like to start working on cleaning up another novel, but this time I want to try 0.7.1. BUT when I downloaded (actually it was 0.7.0) the new one, it got rid of 0.6.2. And then when I re-downloaded 0.6.2, it got rid of 0.7.0.

How do I get 0.6.2 and 0.7.1 on the same computer? Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You can try installing it in seperate directories.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You needn't be frightened to finish the book you started in 0.6 in the latest version. As always, make sure any auto-tidy functions are turned off.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Change it at:
Setup will install Sigil into the following folder.

You can create a new folder Sigil71 for the new version or whatever name you like, then choose it as the prompt above.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You can try installing it in seperate directories.
Thanks Toxaris.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
You needn't be frightened to finish the book you started in 0.6 in the latest version. As always, make sure any auto-tidy functions are turned off.
Thanks Wombat, but I AM scared to finish the 0.6.2 in 0.7.1. And since I don't have to (I'm like 95% done with the first two) I'm like, Why risk it?

And I don't even know what the "auto-tidy" functions are, let alone am I not always making sure they're off.

Think you could explain this a bit? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Change it at:
Setup will install Sigil into the following folder.

You can create a new folder Sigil71 for the new version or whatever name you like, then choose it as the prompt above.
Thanks mrmikel. I think I get this. When I install it, the window comes up asking if I want to install it somewhere else than where they're suggesting. I create a new folder (not sure how I'm doing that, though) named Sigil71 (or whatever) then somehow put that into the place they're suggesting?

Maybe (lol) I'm not getting it so great. I'll try it though. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you know how to use Windows Explorer you can highlight Program Files (x86), then press the new folder button and give it whatever name you like. Then when you get to that window where they ask where to install just press the browse button and locate the new folder and you are good to go.

As for finishing off a 6.2 document in 7.1, I did it without any concern at all. Save as the 6.2 document with a different name, then open the new named document in 7.1. If it fails you can always go back to the original and try again.

As an author you probably ought to be doing a lot of saving as so you not lose your work no matter what happens, including deciding the murgatroid should not really marry whosit after all!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks Wombat, but I AM scared to finish the 0.6.2 in 0.7.1. And since I don't have to (I'm like 95% done with the first two) I'm like, Why risk it?

And I don't even know what the "auto-tidy" functions are, let alone am I not always making sure they're off.

Think you could explain this a bit? Thanks.
In Edit/Preferences/Clean Source turn off all options to do ANYTHING automatically. Don't turn them on until you understand what they do. Information is easily available.

You have a good instinct - finish any project in the program it started in. There's probably no need in this case, but sure, keep that option open. Before starting an editing session on an epub you always make a safety copy, don't you, just in case it all goes belly-up? Well, this time make an extra one, and store it particularly carefully! That's your insurance. In the unlikely event that 0.7.1 ruins your book (or the slightly more likely one that you get confused by the new ways of the new program and mess something up:-) nothing is lost.

Epub files are completely portable between different versions of Sigil. It's not like some programs that keep introducing new, non-backward-compatible storage formats.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
draknan
Enthusiast
draknan is a jewel in the roughdraknan is a jewel in the roughdraknan is a jewel in the roughdraknan is a jewel in the roughdraknan is a jewel in the roughdraknan is a jewel in the roughdraknan is a jewel in the roughdraknan is a jewel in the roughdraknan is a jewel in the roughdraknan is a jewel in the roughdraknan is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Just install v0.6.2 and copy the install folder to another location, then uninstall it.
Now install v0.7.1 and you will have both programs, you only need to create a shortcut for v0.6.2 (it will work like a portable version).
draknan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the two versions still share the same local prefs and registry keys? I didn't think it was possible to have two completely independent versions of Sigil--regardless of where you install the program files.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone

When I open the preferences folder it is identical in both versions.
There might be a difference in registry keys for the 64 bit version vs. the 32 bit.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the two versions still share the same local prefs and registry keys? I didn't think it was possible to have two completely independent versions of Sigil--regardless of where you install the program files.
I don't know if this works for Sigil, but with many apps you can do it by installing using different Windows users.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know if this works for Sigil, but with many apps you can do it by installing using different Windows users.
That ALSO gets around the single profile restriction. Each user has their own profile.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
mrmikel
Color me gone

In my machine the whole thing is under Users, Mike, AppData, so unless the developers say different looks like the way to go. Gregg could have his stories ghost written by his alter ego user!