Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The beta group is evaluating fonts as part of what they are doing. The design guy from Kobo is sitting in .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #17
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Well, I was enjoying my Kobo Touch a lot, but yesterday I noticed a bug! The reading reward for Playing Hooky popped up (reading 3 times between 2pm - 4pm), but it's a weekend, so it shouldn't count! I am so insulted and annoyed at Kobo for having a bug in their software that I plan to return mine.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #18
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
I am so insulted and annoyed at Kobo for having a bug in their software that I plan to return mine.
If that's what's important to you, by all means, return it.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #19
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
some people work on the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Well, I was enjoying my Kobo Touch a lot, but yesterday I noticed a bug! The reading reward for Playing Hooky popped up (reading 3 times between 2pm - 4pm), but it's a weekend, so it shouldn't count! I am so insulted and annoyed at Kobo for having a bug in their software that I plan to return mine.
Maybe they do that to aknowledge that some people work on the weekend?
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #20
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
I am returning mine because it ran out of letters.

Rather than the usual "charge your reader" message I got one that said "you have read too much and we are running out of letters. Please contact customer supp"
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #21
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post

Rather than the usual "charge your reader" message I got one that said "you have read too much and we are running out of letters. Please contact customer supp"
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #22
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post

your kidding around yes?
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #23
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got something similar when I apparently read too many lefty-leaning books. "you are clearly a pinko and cannot be trusted with written expressions of free speech. Please contact our customer support."
Old 06-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #24
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
me to

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I got something similar when I apparently read too many lefty-leaning books. "you are clearly a pinko and cannot be trusted with written expressions of free speech. Please contact our customer support."
Mine went one step further and just self destructed and burned it's self.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Darned good thing I don't have a Touch yet! Not sure what it would make of "The Armageddon Factor: The Rise of Christian Nationalism in Canada", "With Or Without God: why the way we live is more important than what we believe" or "Why Christianity Must Change or Die"!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #26
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It's posts like these that keep us going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Got it this morning. Played with it for a few hours. I like the Nook Touch lots better:

- The touchscreen is very sluggish, and rarely picks up my first tap. Paging becomes an exercise in annoyance.
We have alleviated some of these issues in 1.9.4. Working on making the touch even better every day.

Quote:
- The horrible default (and system) serif font, Georgia, is nearly unreadable on this small screen. It is a shaded font, with varying stroke widths, and the low-res rendering on an e-ink screen gives blotchy-looking text, where the letters and serifs are very poorly rendered. I don't even consider reading books in san-serif fonts.
I've read over a hundred books on Kindle, and a half-dozen on the Nook Touch, and I've never failed to find a comfortable combination of font, line spacing, and margins, but the Kobo Touch defeated me - I can't stand to read on it.

- The default margin is flush against the screen edges. Since I remove publishers' margins with calibre and depend on the ereader to set a narrow margin, this is annoying, since the text near the edges is shadowed by the bezel.
New font / reading controls added in v1.9.5

Quote:
- It is VERY slow in some cases. In resetting to factory defaults (to return it), it took me five tries to get it to actually respond to tapping the Reset button.
I've done quite a few factory resets but have not seen this behaviour. I'll make sure the team looks at it and if there's a fix needed you can bet it will be in an update coming soon.

Quote:
- The hardware buttons on the Nook are very useful for reading single-handed.
I have to say I'm all about the touch screen personally, but I can understand the allure of the hardware buttons.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #27
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
It's posts like these that keep us going.
Props for wasting your time responding to this guy.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #28
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Ahhh Sameer, you fed the troll.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #29
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Ahhh Sameer, you fed the troll.
Can't really comment on the trollness of others.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #30
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I know, but you are working when you post so you have to be nicer than me.