Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #61
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Which is precisely why I will never buy a DRM'd book that I can't liberate!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #62
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Sorry double post.

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 07-10-2010 at 09:46 AM.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #63
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well... aren't they all locked into Adobe Digital Editions and the Adobe Mobile Reader SDK? Granted, there are several devices that support this... but it is all locked to and relys on Adobe and their software. If Adobe goes away (ok no likley) but still...

Bottom line... even ePub's with Adobe DRM are locked in to certain devices and/or software.

BOb
There is support for ADE on pretty much every type and brand of popular device that I'm aware of other than Kindles.

True you are "locked in" to ADE but you would be locked in to any DRM used. It would be better if it were an open standard owned by none rather than owned by one company. Of course no DRM would solve the problem as well at the least cost and would require no additional work.

Given all that I personally don't buy books with DRM. There are more free books available that I'm interested in, including new releases from my library, than I have time to read. But for those who want to purchase new titles ADE seems to almost be a de facto standard.

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 07-09-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #64
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
There is support for ADE on pretty much every type and brand of popular device that I'm aware of other than Kindles.

True you are "locked in" to ADE but you would be locked in to any DRM used. It would be better if it were an open standard owned by none rather than owned by one company.

Given all that I personally don't buy books with DRM. There are more free books available that I'm interested in, including new releases from my library, than I have time to read.
Unless your library is different than mine, their new releases are DRM encrypted.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #65
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Adobe has changed their DRM before, no reason to think they won't again. True they gave folks with content server 3 encrypted books a chance to "upgrade" them to content server 4 encryption, but some folks didn't know about the deadline and can't use their books anymore (unless they have an old device with an old reader activated on it already). So if five years from now there's a content server 5 and you didn't know you could possibly lose access to your books going forward.

Not saying it'll happen, but I don't trust Adobe DRM any more than any other DRM. Theoretically I suppose the B&N/Adobe password (credit card) restricted books are probably the safest 'future proof' DRM, but that still relies on them to provide a reader that will access the books going forward.

The only truly safe book is one with no DRM (or DRM removed) and backed up in multiple locations.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #66
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Downloaded the borders app for my iPad and thought I would download no cost books, only to discover that Kobo requires credit card info for each book and doesn't retain said info even though I checked the "save" info box. So had to re-enter for each book ordered. Not fun and time consuming.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #67
zsmomma
zsmomma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, Pandigital Novel, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Downloaded the borders app for my iPad and thought I would download no cost books, only to discover that Kobo requires credit card info for each book and doesn't retain said info even though I checked the "save" info box. So had to re-enter for each book ordered. Not fun and time consuming.
Did you create a new account prior to downloading from Borders? I have their rewards card/account and didn't have to enter my credit card at all...interesting...
zsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #68
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmomma View Post
Did you create a new account prior to downloading from Borders? I have their rewards card/account and didn't have to enter my credit card at all...interesting...
Yes, I did.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #69
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I created a new account and downloaded a few of the free ebooks without having to enter credit card info.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #70
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I created a new account and downloaded a few of the free ebooks without having to enter credit card info.
But to the iPod app or to ADE?

It may be doing two different kinds of encoding??
Old 07-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #71
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But to the iPod app or to ADE?

It may be doing two different kinds of encoding??
To ADE.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #72
kennyc

Thanks Bill.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #73
TheJohnNewton
Addict

Quote:
Unless your library is different than mine, their new releases are DRM encrypted.
Every library I'm aware of uses ADE and some offer secure Mobipocket but I don't see much of a future for that DRM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
Every library I'm aware of uses ADE and some offer secure Mobipocket but I don't see much of a future for that DRM.
My point was that you said you will not acquire DRM'd books yet the library books you download have DRM.

Your implication was that you were borrowing/downloading DRM-Free books from your library.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #75
TheJohnNewton
Addict

Quote:
My point was that you said you will not acquire DRM'd books yet the library books you download have DRM.

Your implication was that you were borrowing/downloading DRM-Free books from your library.
You're almost right I said I don't BUY drm books. I do check them out from the library as in that case I'm only using them temporarily. I also have some freebies with DRM but hey they were free. Lack of support for ADE by Amazon did make me switch ereaders so I could use library books.