Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #46
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
The cover can't have magnets to keep it closed. Magnets won't work on the plastic Sony.
Are the older sony readers aluminum or a steel alloy? I don't believe magnets work on aluminum, so if the readers were aluminum then the cases must have had a magnet and a piece of steel opposite.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #47
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
No magnets...

The answer is no magnets on the 6/350 lighted cover (not UK anyway} but a 'lastic band does the job just fine
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #48
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
The answer is no magnets on the 6/350 lighted cover (not UK anyway} but a 'lastic band does the job just fine
I can finally put to good use the wedding thigh band
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #49
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I can finally put to good use the wedding thigh band
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #50
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
The cover can't have magnets to keep it closed. Magnets won't work on the plastic Sony.
On the PRS-300 the magnets were built into the reader, the case just had little steel plates sewn in opposite of where the 300 had the magnets installed. The case itself did not have magnets.

There was little reason this couldn't have been done the same way on the T-1. It is amazing how many folks thought the case had the magnets installed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #51
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
On the PRS-300 the magnets were built into the reader, the case just had little steel plates sewn in opposite of where the 300 had the magnets installed. The case itself did not have magnets.

There was little reason this couldn't have been done the same way on the T-1. It is amazing how many folks thought the case had the magnets installed.
Wow! My 350 is the same - I just tried the fridge test and both "outside" corners do have magnets. I too had always assumed that the magnets were in the cover.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #52
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
You can use Calibre to email the newsfeeds, then open your email in the browser and download the files from your email. The feeds will show up in your periodicals.
That seems a bit convoluted! Is it painful in practice? It sounds like it might be better to set up a dedicated email address for this work easiest so you don't have to browse through irrelevant emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extragooey View Post
See my post at the end of page 1. I use Calibre's content server and browse to it from my T1 and click to download books over Wifi
Without being able to try (my 350 is USB only) this does sound similar in effort to the email method above.

I was hoping for some super-duper automatic mode (perhaps at a pre-set time(s) each day), but it sounds like some manual intervention is needed whem using wifi. It almost seems like plugging in to USB and having Calibre auto-sync requires less work. The advantages of the email/browse are obviously you don't have to be near the computer running Calibre (eg, traveling).

Thanks for the replies,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #53
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I like mine. I was going to order a Kindle Touch to go along with my Kindle Basic, but I'm leaning towards keeping the T1 instead.

My very first ereader was a Sony and it was metal, so I do miss that, but its not a huge deal. I also like the direct library downloads.

I have a red one.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #54
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
i love mine. been reading a lot of manga on it today. still waiting for collections to be sorted out in calibre but overall, it's been a treat.

here's a pic of mine with the new kindle zip sleeve case.

lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:07 AM   #55
Masa.F
Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightforx View Post
i love mine. been reading a lot of manga on it today. still waiting for collections to be sorted out in calibre but overall, it's been a treat.

here's a pic of mine with the new kindle zip sleeve case.

Thanx for the pic, lightforx.

Wow, it looks really really great.
I wonder if this is the best e-ink screen we can buy right now?
I am one of those who are very disappointed by the K4's screen
and currently I am a bit obsessed with how good a screen is.
I hope somebody ranks each and every e-ink screen so that we can decide
which one suits our need.
Masa.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #56
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
wow, in that manga photo, the screen looks fantastic! Really white background!

I thought people were saying the K4 screen is better than the K3? Seems like there is either an awful lot of variation or an awful lot of subjectivity in the quality of these Pearl screens.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #57
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I thought people were saying the K4 screen is better than the K3? Seems like there is either an awful lot of variation or an awful lot of subjectivity in the quality of these Pearl screens.
Yep, lots of subjectivity, and probably some variations as well, since I see as many people swear that the K3 screen is better than the K4 as the other way around.
(What I notices when comparing my 950 next to a K3 was that the font on the K3 is a bit bolder, and I suspect that's what makes many think the screen is better.)
I think the T1 seems like a really really nice device and I hope the collection sync problems some people report will be solved, making it closer to perfect!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #58
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
wow, in that manga photo, the screen looks fantastic! Really white background!

eP
Feel like I posted this 10 times on these forums, but the best explanation came form the manufacturers themselves IMHO. Tom's Hardware contacted e-Ink about this when doing their K4 review:

"We called up E Ink Corporation to ask if this was a batch-related issue, and was told that this is most likely due to Amazon choosing a particular grade of display panels. So, while the new Kindle comes at a lower price, the company is probably cutting its costs as well by using a slightly cheaper display."
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #59
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

lightforx -- just curious what format that is, looks great.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #60
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
lightforx -- just curious what format that is, looks great.
the manga? i did a cbz to epub conversion in calibre, default settings (having some problems with the pdf conversion, so this was the second one i tried).

the scaling and positioning are perfect.
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote