Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 12-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Screen flashing--any way of avoiding it?!

I read at night, so I have a black background and different colors of text. After turning several pages, Marvin will flash the right side of the screen (about 1/3). Even the anti-flash light color for text doesn't stop this. Page turning style is off.

Anyone know of a work-around or solution? I really the app, but this is a major distraction. Marvin is the only one of the ebook readers I use that does this!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #2
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
This sounds like the same thing that is happening to me. Between 1/4 and 3/4 of the page show up a second later than the left of the page. On paging back, it's the left side that lags behind. It's very distracting.

This began with ios8. I've been hoping for a fix, but I'm starting to loose faith. My impression is that it's a bug that only appear for some of us, and the developer seem to be busy with his new app.

According to this post, restarting the app helps until they open a new book, but this doesn't change anything for me.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
This happens to me, too. I find it surprisingly distracting. Incidentally, I've been pleasantly surprised by BookMaster. In "Classic Book" mode the page turns emulate turning paper pages. At first I thought it was unnecessarily gimmicky, but after using it a while I'm really liking it as it eliminates screen flashing entirely.

Last edited by Jane12; 12-08-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Mtnguy
Mtnguy began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
This happens to me, too. I find it surprisingly distracting. Incidentally, I've been pleasantly surprised by BookMaster. In "Classic Book" mode the page turns emulate turning paper pages. At first I thought it was unnecessarily gimmicky, but after using it a while I'm really liking it as it eliminates screen flashing entirely.
I like the page turn and asked for it to be implemented but I guess it won't be due to various qualms from users. Oh well, I'm still hoping.
Mtnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Appreciate confirmation that others are seeing this, too.

For me, it happens with iOS 6, iOS 7.

Haven't yet taken the plunge to iOS 8, but it sounds as if that won't make a difference!

I generally like most other things about Marvin, but this is a basic usability issue that I hope gets fixed.
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I read permanently in night mode both in an iPad mini and also iPhone 5 both without any screen flashing. iOS7 on both not going to 8 yet or even at all.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
robinson
Zealot

Good to hear that!

I'm also in night mode, iOS 7 on iPad Mini, when I get the flashing.

What are the colors of your text and your background?

Maybe there's something about the ones you're using that prevents the flashing!

Last edited by robinson; 12-28-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:04 AM   #8
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use white and black.

Have you tried the Anti-Flash White?

I also use extra dimming, contrast set to maximum and cold colour.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
robinson
Zealot

Yep, tried anti-flash white.

Also, tried black and white. Alas, no luck!

I see this on both an iPhone 4 and an iPad Mini (original and RD).

I have the page turning set to NO animation. What's yours set at?
Old 01-06-2015, 03:26 AM   #10
Valkrider
Addict

The same no animation. Very odd. I am ioS7 on both iPhone5 and Mini.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:19 AM   #11
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Just noticed this thread. Glad to see I'm not the only one bothered by the page-turn flash. Sad to see this week's Marvin update didn't fix it

@Jane12 - Thanks for suggesting BookMaster. I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised. However, all the headers and footers were a little distracting. Will poke around to see if they can be turned off.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
robinson
Zealot

Installing 2.8.5 as we speak (well, as I write).

Too bad this "glaring" issue has not been fixed! I really wonder what the problem is. My venerable Stanza and eReader have no problems on this score.

I have three other pet peeves with Marvin!

1. One is that whenever you look up the definition of the word, it adds it to your vocabulary WITH THE TIME. I appreciate the creation of a vocabulary list, but I really don't want to discover that I'm reading at 2:17 am in the middle of the night!

2. I wish the area one could tap to set a bookmark were larger (this is in full screen mode).

3. When in a night mode, the various settings still come up in BRIGHT WHITE light. Kinda defeats the purpose of a night theme!

Still, I'm glad he's continuing to support iOS 6. Too few developers are!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:27 AM   #13
robinson
Zealot

BUMP!!

Any fix on this, yet?!

Anyone noticed recently if it's still there or not?

It's still present on my iPhone 4--my nighttime reader; haven't checked other devices recently.

-----------------------------

faterson, saw your thoughtful posts on GitHub about this ... Figure, if anyone, you'd know if this has been fixed or not--or, whether developer has dealt with it! Thanks!