Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Finally got my nook! A couple of questions...

So I got the nook last night. I actually got home late, so didn't get to play around with it a lot, but looking forward to it when I get home from work. It looks quite good, and the e-Ink screen is actually a lot better than I expected. Clear, sharp, and not agonisingly slow. Ditto for the LCD. My sister-in-law just got an iPad the other day, and I spent the whole day playing with it and then started to get worried that the nook's touchscreen would irritate me after the fluidity of the iPad. But it didn't! Sure, it's nowhere near iPad/iPhone level, but it's quite good...

Anyway, I have a couple of questions for those familiar with the nook. In fact, preferably those who actually own one, though anyone who has knowledge of the product is, of course, free to reply.

- Downloading books from B&N - I did the whole VPN thing, and bought a few books from B&N (well, not bought per se; they were free). The 'purchase' went without a hitch, and the books are now in my B&N Library online. They also show up in my nook's library (via Wi-Fi), but when I click on Download to get them on the nook, it gives me some error. I don't have the device with me right now, so I don't remember the exact message, but it was something like "Unable to process request. Please call 1-800-blah-blah". Anyone know why that is? Can I only transfer my books through the PC, and not Wi-Fi? Does it check my location when I'm downloading, as well? I though that was only when you buy...

- Calibre - I downloaded one of the aforementioned books on my PC, and added them to my Calibre library. But when I try to read it via Calibre (by clicking on 'View') it gives me some error message about container something or the other. Does Calibre not recognise B&N books? Is it because of the DRM?

- Charging - I played a little with my device last night, with the charger plugged in, before leaving it on charge overnight. When I woke up this morning (after about 6 hours), I noticed that the charging light was still on, when it should be off after it's fully charged. I checked the nook, and the battery was still showing as 89% charge, which is almost the same level as it was last night. Did it not charge? I didn't switch it off because I know it won't charge; it was only in sleep mode (which I assume is when the screensaver is on?), and yet the battery is not full. It's supposed to charge in 3.5 hours, and yet my nook didn't manage it in six hours. Seven, if you include the time I played with it while plugged in.

- Softrooting - Now, I haven't softrooted my nook. I wanted to know from those who've done it - is it really worth it? What goodies does the softroot add? The nook already comes with a browser and some games (which it didn't initially). I know softrooting will allow me to add Android apps, but I'm not sure why I would want to. So far, the only advantage I can think of for softrooting is the fact that it apparently allows me to Cover Flow my sideloaded content, too, which would be nice. Any other reason why softroot is worth it?

Any info would be much appreciated.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I dont own a nook but I noticed nicky has the same difficulty downloading her books. She was asked to confirm that she selected a default credit card not just registered one but took the extra step to make it the default one for DRM purposes. She posted today also.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I saw that. My problem regarding downloading seems to be the same.

In fact, even the credit card info situation was the same, i.e. when I logged into my account, it showed no default card; then when I went to "Manage Credit Cards" it showed the credit card I had entered is already set as default. Wacky.

In any case, I can't test it out right now as I'm at work, so I'll only know after 6 hours whether it's working now or not.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
afa
The Forgotten

*nudge*

Any one got any info on any of the questions...?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
As for the battery not charging, you may want to read this thread h ere: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...bounce#U527052
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
So I got the nook last night. I actually got home late, so didn't get to play around with it a lot, but looking forward to it when I get home from work. It looks quite good, and the e-Ink screen is actually a lot better than I expected. Clear, sharp, and not agonisingly slow. Ditto for the LCD. My sister-in-law just got an iPad the other day, and I spent the whole day playing with it and then started to get worried that the nook's touchscreen would irritate me after the fluidity of the iPad. But it didn't! Sure, it's nowhere near iPad/iPhone level, but it's quite good...

Anyway, I have a couple of questions for those familiar with the nook. In fact, preferably those who actually own one, though anyone who has knowledge of the product is, of course, free to reply.

- Downloading books from B&N - I did the whole VPN thing, and bought a few books from B&N (well, not bought per se; they were free). The 'purchase' went without a hitch, and the books are now in my B&N Library online. They also show up in my nook's library (via Wi-Fi), but when I click on Download to get them on the nook, it gives me some error. I don't have the device with me right now, so I don't remember the exact message, but it was something like "Unable to process request. Please call 1-800-blah-blah". Anyone know why that is? Can I only transfer my books through the PC, and not Wi-Fi? Does it check my location when I'm downloading, as well? I though that was only when you buy...

- Calibre - I downloaded one of the aforementioned books on my PC, and added them to my Calibre library. But when I try to read it via Calibre (by clicking on 'View') it gives me some error message about container something or the other. Does Calibre not recognise B&N books? Is it because of the DRM?

- Charging - I played a little with my device last night, with the charger plugged in, before leaving it on charge overnight. When I woke up this morning (after about 6 hours), I noticed that the charging light was still on, when it should be off after it's fully charged. I checked the nook, and the battery was still showing as 89% charge, which is almost the same level as it was last night. Did it not charge? I didn't switch it off because I know it won't charge; it was only in sleep mode (which I assume is when the screensaver is on?), and yet the battery is not full. It's supposed to charge in 3.5 hours, and yet my nook didn't manage it in six hours. Seven, if you include the time I played with it while plugged in.

- Softrooting - Now, I haven't softrooted my nook. I wanted to know from those who've done it - is it really worth it? What goodies does the softroot add? The nook already comes with a browser and some games (which it didn't initially). I know softrooting will allow me to add Android apps, but I'm not sure why I would want to. So far, the only advantage I can think of for softrooting is the fact that it apparently allows me to Cover Flow my sideloaded content, too, which would be nice. Any other reason why softroot is worth it?

Any info would be much appreciated.
Concerning VPN: You only need it for purchasing. For downloading, B&N doesn't check your IP. I'm doing this from Germany all the time.

Concerning calibre: Calibre doesn't handle DRMed files per se. You either have to strip them from DRM before adding them to calibre. Or you can integrate the very same Python scripts you need for stripping directly into calibre.
Personally, I strip my eBooks from DRM right after purchasing. So I don't have to bother about the stupid ADE licensing (I've got too many readers and permanently run out of activations).

Concerning softrooting: Biggest advantage in my opinion was the option, to exchange the original AT&T SIM and replace by your own. So I've been able to use my German SIM. I don't need this anymore, since I've got MiFi because of my WiFi-only iPad. But it was great while I've done it.
Many users have stated, the biggest advantage to them was handling sideloaded content. Personally, I don't use nook for sideloaded content anymore, just for the original B&N books.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
afa
The Forgotten

Thanks, mgmueller.

Okay, I think the problem is, indeed, with my credit card. On my PC, I've successfully downloaded several of the books from my library, but those were, I guess, DRM-free. A few of my books don't download, saying that my credit card is invalid. I though B&N accepted non-US credit cards? Why is it saying mine is invalid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicsgirl View Post
As for the battery not charging, you may want to read this thread h ere: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...bounce#U527052
Thanks for the link graphicsgirl. Unfortunately, that didn't quite work. In fact, in the article the guy said:
Quote:
Once the battery is removed, connect your NOOK to a wall outlet using the NOOK AC-Adapter. The NOOK should begin to go through its booting process. Once booted, replace the battery (don't turn the NOOK off or unplug) and charge your NOOK for at least 2 hours.
Well, in my case, when I remove the battery and then plug in the power cable, nothing happens. The thing doesn't boot up. I had to plug the battery back in.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
Most of the free books I've downloaded from B&N weren't DRM, but a couple were.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Sorry that those battery instructions didn't work out for you. I also had a similar problem with the battery not charging after 86 %, I didn't go through with removing the battery (couldn't find a small screwdriver) so I started testing other things out. I couldn't get a charge with the wall adapter nor the usb cable straight to computer. The light was amber, but there was no lightning bolt on the battery indicator to show that it was charging.

Well, when I turned off airplane mode, and tried to charge through the cpu, it worked! The lightning bolt shows on the battery indicator (and not just having an amber light). For some reason, it wouldn't charge with the wifi off. If that is your case, you might want to try it. After I charged it to 100% through the cpu, and used it for a few days, the wall charger also now works. Don't know if this is just luck?
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Thanks, mgmueller.

Okay, I think the problem is, indeed, with my credit card. On my PC, I've successfully downloaded several of the books from my library, but those were, I guess, DRM-free. A few of my books don't download, saying that my credit card is invalid. I though B&N accepted non-US credit cards? Why is it saying mine is invalid?
In the "international" thread geertm says he/she uses a Dutch credit card so it must let you download with a non-US credit card ... somehow. May need to compare geertm's settings with yours.

Sorry, you're having this trouble. Only thing I can suggest is removing the default card and then adding it back in. It's previously strange behavior may have something to do with it.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
afa
The Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicsgirl View Post
Well, when I turned off airplane mode, and tried to charge through the cpu, it worked! The lightning bolt shows on the battery indicator (and not just having an amber light). For some reason, it wouldn't charge with the wifi off. If that is your case, you might want to try it. After I charged it to 100% through the cpu, and used it for a few days, the wall charger also now works. Don't know if this is just luck?
Yeah, my nook seems to charge via the PC. Doesn't charge via the wall charger, though. Maybe there's something wrong with the plug? Anyway, as long as it charges somehow, I'm fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
In the "international" thread geertm says he/she uses a Dutch credit card so it must let you download with a non-US credit card ... somehow. May need to compare geertm's settings with yours.

Sorry, you're having this trouble. Only thing I can suggest is removing the default card and then adding it back in. It's previously strange behavior may have something to do with it.
That's a good point. I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
afa
The Forgotten

Alright, so removed and added my credit card, and it's the same thing. I should mention that earlier I managed to download most of the ebooks, but there is still one that won't work. It's so random. The others also wouldn't download, and then they suddenly would. I guess this will work at some point.

Bigger problem:

I don't seem to be able to sideload books. I tried sideloading about a dozen or so books via Calibre. Initially, my nook only showed 3 or 4 of them. No idea why they didn't all show up. So I tried adding them again, but no good. So then I removed them (successfully), and then added the whole bunch again. After disconnecting my nook, the device searches for new content... and keeps on searching. And searching. And searching. I left it for a solid 20 minutes, and it just kept searching in vain.

The files seem to have successfully been transferred to the nook; I can see them in "my documents" in the nook USB drive, but they aren't showing up in the reader for some reason.

Any suggestions? I'm really starting to think getting an e-reader simply wasn't the hassle. At least my paperbacks don't give me f***ing attitude when I try to read them.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

You can use a non-US credit card, but you have to register a valid US address as billling address (the addres is not verified with the credit card company so this will work fine).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Alright, so removed and added my credit card, and it's the same thing. I should mention that earlier I managed to download most of the ebooks, but there is still one that won't work. It's so random. The others also wouldn't download, and then they suddenly would. I guess this will work at some point.

Bigger problem:

I don't seem to be able to sideload books. I tried sideloading about a dozen or so books via Calibre. Initially, my nook only showed 3 or 4 of them. No idea why they didn't all show up. So I tried adding them again, but no good. So then I removed them (successfully), and then added the whole bunch again. After disconnecting my nook, the device searches for new content... and keeps on searching. And searching. And searching. I left it for a solid 20 minutes, and it just kept searching in vain.

The files seem to have successfully been transferred to the nook; I can see them in "my documents" in the nook USB drive, but they aren't showing up in the reader for some reason.

Any suggestions? I'm really starting to think getting an e-reader simply wasn't the hassle. At least my paperbacks don't give me f***ing attitude when I try to read them.
These kind of problems are often solved by doing a recover to the original firmware. This way the Nook will reinstall a new copy of the original firmware. You will lose all the files that are already on your Nook.
You start the recover by doing the following (copied from the B&N forum):

" Power down.
Press the power button, wait for the screen to flicker, and continue holding for 12 seconds.
Then, release the power button, and repeat the above 6 times.".
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #15
afa
The Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
You can use a non-US credit card, but you have to register a valid US address as billling address (the addres is not verified with the credit card company so this will work fine).
I've done that, but it still says "Invalid Credit Card".