Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #31
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge777 View Post
It wasn't "my" uninstaller, lol - just the stock uninstaller. Not sure what happened, but all's been good since (ever created a number of custom font hacks for others). Course, now that 2.3 is out, that's all moot, lol. I love the new features, but I'm gonna wait until a hack comes before moving into that camp, lol.
Why would it be all moot now that 2.3 is out ?

The usbnetwork and screen saver hack for the Kindle 2i works perfectly fine with 2.3.

I'm guessing that the firmware 2.3 for both the DX and original Kindle 2 are now using sign packages just like the Kindle 2 International.
So I will be updating the packager so signed images can be created for any device.
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #32
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
Why would it be all moot now that 2.3 is out ?

The usbnetwork and screen saver hack for the Kindle 2i works perfectly fine with 2.3.

I'm guessing that the firmware 2.3 for both the DX and original Kindle 2 are now using sign packages just like the Kindle 2 International.
So I will be updating the packager so signed images can be created for any device.
Really? That's awesome - I had read otherwise. The font hack too?
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #33
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Really? That's awesome - I had read otherwise. The font hack too?
Someone just need to check what has changed in 2.3 ; I'm guessing not much since 2.2.

The usbnet hack works , so it won't be hard to figure things out.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #34
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

I believe all K2i hacks that worked with 2.2.x will work with 2.3 (since they were already signed). I installed the Anti-Brick, Screensaver, and a custom UFH (all were the most recent builds using the -k2iex hash so a jailbreak wasn't necessary). Everything works great, no issues whatsoever!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #35
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

To confirm. I just installed the UFH_Droid_Sans font hack from this link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=18

on my 2.3 Kindle 2 Int. (using the -k2i.bin file) and everything works as expected.

(no jailbreak needed)

Here is a screenshot of that font in landscape mode:

Last edited by bzImage; 11-24-2009 at 11:11 PM.
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #36
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Is there a need to uninstall the hacks for the K2I before downloading the Kindle update 2.3?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:15 AM   #37
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Is there a need to uninstall the hacks for the K2I before downloading the Kindle update 2.3?
Yes...

The Amazon installer tests the checksum of each file it overwrites. Because the UFS hack modify the file with the firmware version ; it will fail.

So make sure you uninstall any custom packages first
Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 AM   #38
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Will these work on 2.3 regular K2?

I just upgraded my older K2 to 2.3 and lost the font hack ability. Am I to understand that these unicode fonts for the international K2 will also now work in my 2.3 older K2? I hope so....?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:12 AM   #39
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I just upgraded my older K2 to 2.3 and lost the font hack ability. Am I to understand that these unicode fonts for the international K2 will also now work in my 2.3 older K2? I hope so....?
Provided they are repackaged ; yes it will work.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #40
clemensmok
clemensmok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 international
Quote:
I've remade the BIN file, making sure that all the font files were validated (they all showed fine). I also made some changes because the Sans Serif only includes Regular and Bold, so I used the Serif for Italic and Italic-Bold. I've updated the file at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=18. Please check it out and let me know how it works. Thanks.
Well, the English font looks nice, but cannot display Chinese character at all. Now, how do I uninstall it?
clemensmok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #41
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

UFH Georgia - K2, K2i, KDX running 2.3

Here are the updated UFH files that work with new 2.3 update (K2, K2i and KDX) using the Georgia Font for Serif (the main reading font), and Droid for the Mono and Sans (including Bold and Italic - the font in the title bar and menus).

I haven't had a chance to test them on my Kindle but used --ex and --sign when creating all three Install BINs using the new 0.6 Python script, and used the Uninstall BINs found on this forum, so they should work fine on the 2.3 without jailbreaking. Please post your results, success or issues.

P.S. Some have been asking what characters this font includes (for international reading). I've attached a PDF file that shows all the characters.
Attached Files
File Type: zip UFH_Georgia_2.3.zip (4.70 MB, 1648 views)
File Type: pdf Preview of “FL Font Table-Georgia”.pdf (412.2 KB, 857 views)

Last edited by edge777; 11-30-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #42
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
It worked here, thank you! Any chance of Lucida?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #43
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It worked here, thank you! Any chance of Lucida?
Which device? Sure, but probably not today
Old 11-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #44
eSach
eSach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx, Sony eReader 505
Quote:
[B]

I haven't had a chance to test them on my Kindle but used --ex and --sign when creating all three Install BINs using the new 0.6 Python script, and used the Uninstall BINs found on this forum, so they should work fine on the 2.3 without jailbreaking. Please post your results, success or issues.

Thank you Edge777.

It works perfectly on my DX with new V 2.3.

I noticed that your Geogia font is bit smaller and lighter then the old one. Pleas have a look at this.

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php?topic=11043.0

Again thank you for your help
eSach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #45
absemic
absemic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I confirm that this hack work well with KindleDX 2.3.
Thanks!!
absemic is offline   Reply With Quote